Police Scotland confirm received report into historic child abuse within football

Smile

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Police Scotland is investigating 130 reports of child sexual abuse in football
By Lucinda Cameron
20th June 2017, 2:17 pm

THE REVIEW into historic incidents of sexual abuse in Scottish football is ready to begin the “crucial yet sensitive” stage of information-gathering.

Preparatory work has been concluded for the review, which has been commissioned by the Scottish Football Association (SFA) and is chaired by Martin Henry.

The sport has been rocked by claims from former players across the UK that they were abused by people in positions of authority.

Police Scotland is investigating 130 reports of child sexual abuse in football.

The other members of the review team are Ruth Sills, development manager of Children 1st, Mark Cooper, a retired detective superintendent with Police Scotland, and Bruce Nicol, an occupational psychologist with extensive experience in business management.

Mr Henry said: “We have now concluded the preparatory work for our review, which has incorporated the confirmation of our administrative process, the completion of a scoping exercise, as well as assigning roles and responsibilities for the team.

“We now approach the crucial yet sensitive stage of information-gathering.

“I would like to call on all relevant stakeholders within Scottish football to give their full and unencumbered co-operation to this part of the review, in order that we can establish as full a picture as possible.

“We also wish to ensure that survivors are given as much support as possible and, in this regard, I would like to thank the Scottish FA for its work through the Children’s Wellbeing department and with other partner agencies.

“We anticipate this stage taking place throughout the summer, with a view to evaluation of evidence and the writing of the report commencing in late autumn.”

The review team intends to present the final report to the board of the SFA and publish in full in early 2018.

Mr Henry added: “I cannot stress enough the importance of taking the appropriate time and consideration to provide a meaningful review, to learn lessons from the past, but also to provide recommendations to ensure Scottish football is at the forefront of children’s wellbeing and protection now and in the future.

“The independent review team will work tirelessly on behalf of every survivor to achieve that aim.”

Former footie starlet Dougie Gilligan claims he was targeted aged 13 by coach Barry Bennell at Butlins training camps in the 1970s.

In April, former Celtic Boys Club official Frank Cairney, 81, appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court over historic abuse claims.

Former Celtic Boys Club chairman Gerry King, 65, was suspended from his job as a primary teacher in April after being charged over sex abuse claims.

3 hours ago, geneva_ger said:

Police Scotland is investigating 130 reports of child sexual abuse in football
By Lucinda Cameron
20th June 2017, 2:17 pm

THE REVIEW into historic incidents of sexual abuse in Scottish football is ready to begin the “crucial yet sensitive” stage of information-gathering.

Preparatory work has been concluded for the review, which has been commissioned by the Scottish Football Association (SFA) and is chaired by Martin Henry.

The sport has been rocked by claims from former players across the UK that they were abused by people in positions of authority.

Police Scotland is investigating 130 reports of child sexual abuse in football.

The other members of the review team are Ruth Sills, development manager of Children 1st, Mark Cooper, a retired detective superintendent with Police Scotland, and Bruce Nicol, an occupational psychologist with extensive experience in business management.

Mr Henry said: “We have now concluded the preparatory work for our review, which has incorporated the confirmation of our administrative process, the completion of a scoping exercise, as well as assigning roles and responsibilities for the team.

“We now approach the crucial yet sensitive stage of information-gathering.

“I would like to call on all relevant stakeholders within Scottish football to give their full and unencumbered co-operation to this part of the review, in order that we can establish as full a picture as possible.

“We also wish to ensure that survivors are given as much support as possible and, in this regard, I would like to thank the Scottish FA for its work through the Children’s Wellbeing department and with other partner agencies.

“We anticipate this stage taking place throughout the summer, with a view to evaluation of evidence and the writing of the report commencing in late autumn.”

The review team intends to present the final report to the board of the SFA and publish in full in early 2018.

Mr Henry added: “I cannot stress enough the importance of taking the appropriate time and consideration to provide a meaningful review, to learn lessons from the past, but also to provide recommendations to ensure Scottish football is at the forefront of children’s wellbeing and protection now and in the future.

“The independent review team will work tirelessly on behalf of every survivor to achieve that aim.”

Former footie starlet Dougie Gilligan claims he was targeted aged 13 by coach Barry Bennell at Butlins training camps in the 1970s.

In April, former Celtic Boys Club official Frank Cairney, 81, appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court over historic abuse claims.

Former Celtic Boys Club chairman Gerry King, 65, was suspended from his job as a primary teacher in April after being charged over sex abuse claims.

I hope that they listen very carefully to what has happened and really sit down with every single club member , as well Las the Scottish youth footballers association (if it is still called that) and look at the following :

1. Risk management. Clearly we have PVG schemes to apparently help prevent those with those sort of attributes being allowed to work with children. This clearly did not happen and when it all kicked off there were still some 200 applications waiting to be processed while the people were still in and around kids. 

There has to be the stage of PVG, aquicker.turnaround in conjunction with the police in getting information re the PVG scheme.  In addition to this, no young footballer should ever be left alone in a physio room,dressing room to discuss injuries etc without another member of the coaching staff there and a pro forma must be completed and signed by all parties.,thus reducing the risk at the earliest point possible.

2.The clubs and the sfa should have a youth worker assigned to the club in order for any young player to approach them with any concerns about the coaching staff again so information can be passes to relevant people to monitor the person closely.  

3. The clubs should also have clear support structures in place in order to ensure.that young players have a place where.kids can go and ask for support . It's not all about football and some of.the really talented footballers in my era came from poor background with patents separates alcohol, domestic violence etc and professional clubs should be looking to enhance a young persons whole life by allowing them access to counselling services within the club. This also assists. In crime prevention by said child as they are growing up.

4. As we are where we are now .. clubs should be providing clear and concise routes for legal intervention and for those 130 boys who have made complaints to have some sort of recourse to claim compensation directly from the clubs. It.not ok just to be given a poxy 3k from criminal injuries for.a life changing occurrence. Which took place at their clubs. They must be held financially responsible for their role. In this. Wester that be allowing a pervert to gl to another club and not provide information or.whether that be that they turned a blind eye. Only then,  along with those who have been arrested or will be arrested being brought to justice will boys have some sort of closure. For.others though who cannot get justice thrpugh court due to accused. Being deceased then a monetary compensation and a.new.set of guideline to ensure this never happens again is their only closure. 

I hope that all the boys cansometime.in the.nesr future put thus sorry affair to sleep and try and get on with rebuking their lives.

• 2 months later...

As an interested party in this. ... I cN confirm that the sfa are spending a fsir amount of money in an independent review with the aim to clearly stop .. at source any potential abuse situations.  They are talking now ro survivors of said abuse, in conjunction with former police investigators,child protection officers and as I say victims of abuse. 

Their aim is to produce areport for the SFA and they hope that the review will take.the highest priority... they are looking at all levels of football....

Just a wee update.  

Just to let people.know it is ongoing.  

19 minutes ago, deco19761 said:

As an interested party in this. ... I cN confirm that the sfa are spending a fsir amount of money in an independent review with the aim to clearly stop .. at source any potential abuse situations.  They are talking now ro survivors of said abuse, in conjunction with former police investigators,child protection officers and as I say victims of abuse. 

Their aim is to produce areport for the SFA and they hope that the review will take.the highest priority... they are looking at all levels of football....

Just a wee update.  

Just to let people.know it is ongoing.  

Who touched you mate ?

1 hour ago, kaiser1041 said:

Who touched you mate ?

You wouldn't want to know prick!!

I M merely telling people it is not going away and giving you an update.  I am an interested party due to my mate who had dealt with stuff in his life. So your fuckin cheap shot don't work with me . 

Your fucking question is not needed. Stop being a total bellend. . Hang ur head in shame 

1 hour ago, kaiser1041 said:

Who touched you mate ?

and see on the back of my last quote.  ... Ur a fucking prick of the lowest order.  Lower than a snake belly. People lives have been ruined thrpugh this shit.  And you want to take cheap shots. See. Cunts like you I would happily see die. 

good article on the Penn State, the parallels are unbelievable except the Joe Paterno is still being investigated for what he knew whilst Jock Stein's and Auld Bob Kelly's role in the Torbett Towers cover up has never been investigated and neither has the role of CardinalWinning and the RC church.  

Scotland's real shame.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/09/do_penn_state_students_think_j.html 

Some of you twitter cunts should start a #BIGJOCKKNEW

• 8 months later...

Torbett pleads not guilty today trial set for june. Haven't heard this reported much but prob the worst outcome for scum fc all these shameful acts is about to be brought out in court in front of everyone

The BBC hammered us on the news at 6.30 then again that night about Neeley, No mention of the Hibs chairman confiding in his reporter friend about this matter long before he joined Rangers , Why did neither of them call the police?  It operation attack Rangers with Torbett due up.

Our board should make a statement regarding the cover up at Easter rd regarding Neeley, they should also ask why they released the story when they did ? As we have all known about this for a good year at least anyway. 

They the  BBC can't  comment on the child abuse that the police are investigating at the moment but the minute Torbett is found guilty again we as a club should release a statement calling for a full inquiry into celtic football club and their cover up off this terrible crime as they re employed the cunt after Stein left, remember Stein is mean't to have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and kicked his arse literally out off parkhead. Stein crime was doing as he was ordered by his bosses the owners of celtic to keep celtic name clean.

Tick tick as  I say as those cunts at the BBC better hammer them when Torbett is convicted for a second time as this one is on them as they knew by this point what he was 

1 hour ago, Copland bear said:

The BBC hammered us on the news at 6.30 then again that night about Neeley, No mention of the Hibs chairman confiding in his reporter friend about this matter long before he joined Rangers , Why did neither of them call the police?  It operation attack Rangers with Torbett due up.

Our board should make a statement regarding the cover up at Easter rd regarding Neeley, they should also ask why they released the story when they did ? As we have all known about this for a good year at least anyway. 

They the  BBC can't  comment on the child abuse that the police are investigating at the moment but the minute Torbett is found guilty again we as a club should release a statement calling for a full inquiry into celtic football club and their cover up off this terrible crime as they re employed the cunt after Stein left, remember Stein is mean't to have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and kicked his arse literally out off parkhead. Stein crime was doing as he was ordered by his bosses the owners of celtic to keep celtic name clean.

Tick tick as  I say as those cunts at the BBC better hammer them when Torbett is convicted for a second time as this one is on them as they knew by this point what he was 

we won't make a statement and probably shouldn't. leave that to the tarriers to make public statements 

we should however make sure the question gets asked ,picking the right outlet won't be easy as most are infested by the minority 

44 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

we won't make a statement and probably shouldn't. leave that to the tarriers to make public statements 

we should however make sure the question gets asked ,picking the right outlet won't be easy as most are infested by the minority 

Oh yes we should make a public statement, damage their brand as they did to us.  Dignified silence is getting us nowhere and it does not matter who they have where as the courts who rule the land will have convicted the same pedophile twice for crimes at their great club , then the bloody others also, but Torbett is the one , as he was let back in while they all looked the other way.

We must do all we can to protect our great game and those clubs guilty of a cover up's should be hammered by the law then take must have independent enquiries into these cover ups and these clubs.  .

No stone must be left unturned where pedophiles are concerned and I would applaud our club by making a statement against these clubs as they are no friends of anyone never mind us by protecting known pedophiles 

3 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Oh yes we should make a public statement, damage their brand as they did to us.  Dignified silence is getting us nowhere and it does not matter who they have where as the courts who rule the land will have convicted the same pedophile twice for crimes at their great club , then the bloody others also, but Torbett is the one , as he was let back in while they all looked the other way.

We must do all we can to protect our great game and those clubs guilty of a cover up's should be hammered by the law then take must have independent enquiries into these cover ups and these clubs.  .

No stone must be left unturned where pedophiles are concerned and I would applaud our club by making a statement against these clubs as they are no friends of anyone never mind us by protecting known pedophiles 

you know yourself if we were to say anything .it would be hailed as tit for tat. even though the tat isn't publicly acknowledged that they are fucking us over behind the scenes .and the old point scoring shite would come up again and demean the accusation 

1 minute ago, magic8ball said:

you know yourself if we were to say anything .it would be hailed as tit for tat. even though the tat isn't publicly acknowledged that they are fucking us over behind the scenes .and the old point scoring shite would come up again and demean the accusation 

Nothing to do with point scoring , it's to do with justice for these kids who were abused and the kids who they alone could have stopped being abused by doing the right thing and contact the police. 

Let them think what they want as this has to go nationwide across the full of the UK and we who they slated over the EBT scandal along with the BBC are nothing more than hypocrites as they protected pedophiles which in my book is worse than protecting a murder. 

Archived