RFCRobertson

Matt Crooks

214 posts in this topic

Apparently frustrated due to injury woes and lack of first team action, Crooks wants to do a loan move down south. 

Shame all 'n' all, but it may be best for him. 

I think this is the best option, hope it happens and he comes back to us in form.

2 people like this

This would be the best solution. He isn't going to get a game if the rumours of Diego Poyet being signed are to be true. 

Needs to be playing regular at his age to aid his development.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Hope he doesn't come back he looks like a donkey - get someone to buy him out his contract and be done with it we seem to always put people out on loan in the hope they develop or improve and they don't. 

McKay was a better player when he came back. However that could be more to do with McCoist's coaching ability than anything else. 

6 minutes ago, novosleftboot said:

McKay was a better player when he came back. However that could be more to do with McCoist's coaching ability than anything else. 

There's obviously exceptions - Adam and Alan McGregor too but for every success there's about 20 that don't 

I don't see anything in Crooks so far that makes me think he will be one of the few exceptions 

So if he moves on loan he can play regularly and get fit and no be injured ?

Get him sold the guys a fuckin donkey and will never be good enough for us.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

There's obviously exceptions - Adam and Alan McGregor too but for every success there's about 20 that don't 

I don't see anything in Crooks so far that makes me think he will be one of the few exceptions 

Whilst agreeing, I think it's a bit harsh to judge him so soon. If he can get fit and string a run of games together then I think we'd know for sure.

2 minutes ago, novosleftboot said:

Whilst agreeing, I think it's a bit harsh to judge him so soon. If he can get fit and string a run of games together then I think we'd know for sure.

Aye I was thinking that after I posted to be honest he's only had 2 first team games and a handful of reserve matches but I'd still be amazed if he amounted to a Rangers player 

He hasn't looked like much when he's been on but how can you judge a guy fully based on barely even 90 minutes of football for us. Especially considering how long he was out injured.

I hope he goes out on loan and does well because he's not going to progress warming the bench every week. 

I'd expect him to have made more of an impact by now tbh. If he was going to be a big player for us he would have made more appearances even if it was just coming on as a sub, a loan move may not be  a bad idea.

Just now, DeanMK said:

He hasn't looked like much when he's been on but how can you judge a guy fully based on barely even 90 minutes of football for us. Especially considering how long he was out injured.

I hope he goes out on loan and does well because he's not going to progress warming the bench every week. 

You can only go on what you've seen so far and comment 

has he shown you anything that suggests he will be a Rangers class player? 

It just comes down to faith and optimism - you've obviously got it or you don't - I don't 

I'm sick of shite inferior players at Rangers and people wanting to give them years before we can admit they're shite and move on 

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

You can only go on what you've seen so far and comment 

has he shown you anything that suggests he will be a Rangers class player? 

It just comes down to faith and optimism - you've obviously got it or you don't - I don't 

I'm sick of shite inferior players at Rangers and people wanting to give them years before we can admit they're shite and move on 

I get that. I think loaning him out is the best option because there may be a player in him somewhere.

Maybe years ago when we had a squad full of winners we'd have had the luxury of nurturing a player like him but unfortunately we should be aggressive in our approach because we need to get better fast. 

I still think it's harsh to write him off though so I'd fully back a loan move.

1 minute ago, DeanMK said:

I get that. I think loaning him out is the best option because there may be a player in him somewhere.

Maybe years ago when we had a squad full of winners we'd have had the luxury of nurturing a player like him but unfortunately we should be aggressive in our approach because we need to get better fast. 

I still think it's harsh to write him off though so I'd fully back a loan move.

Fair do's

From what little I've seen of him he doesn't look up to much. Probably too early to judge but we're not in the position to be waiting a few years for these guys to come good. As others have said, ship him out in Jan for a few months. Hopefully come back a better player or at least create a big enough impression elsewhere to get himself in the shop window if he isn't Rangers class.

Tonight Matthew I am going to be a football player.

He looks clumsy as fuck any time I have seen him, I honestly don't think there is a player in there.

1 person likes this

If he's fully fit and ready to play he probably would have reason to question why a 36 year old striker and a right back have both been picked in midfield ahead of him.

But whether that says more about his ability than the managers selection policy is another matter.

1 person likes this

Unless you watched a lot of Accrington Stanley last year then there's barely a person on this forum can comment on his ability, doesn't stop plenty after seeing the posts in this thread ;)....apologies if your an Accrington enthusiast.  He was a top player in his division last season, and despite what you think of the division he was playing in, it's still mostly on a par with our own SPFL...so pretty much a loan anywhere in England will get him playing at a level where he can get competitive match fitness and confidence back.   

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, coopsleftboot said:

Unless you watched a lot of Accrington Stanley last year then there's barely a person on this forum can comment on his ability, doesn't stop plenty after seeing .  He was a top player in his division last season, and despite what you think of the division he was playing in, it's still mostly on a par with our own SPFL...so pretty much a loan anywhere in England will get him playing at a level where he can get competitive match fitness and confidence back.  

Did you see a lot of him for Accrington last season?

im not having a dig but you can't lecture people for saying they think he's shite and then say he's a top player yourself If you haven't ...

i know he apparently made the team of the year but so what? Nicky Law or Darren McGregor if they played enough games would have maybe made the team of the year for that level too - doesn't make them a good fit for Rangers.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Did you see a lot of him for Accrington last season?

im not having a dig but you can't lecture people for saying they think he's shite and then say he's a top player yourself If you haven't ...

i know he apparently made the team of the year but so what? Nicky Law or Darren McGregor if they played enough games would have maybe made the team of the year for that level too - doesn't make them a good fit for Rangers.

Sorry, I never said I'd seen much of him either.  I'm not having a dig at anyone, as all I've got to go on is that he was recognised as one of the best at the level he was at last year....a level at which should see him comfortably ok in our own PL.  The point is, nobody really knows his abilities because, apart from labouring to come back from injury nobody has seen anything of the true player yet...imo.  I'd be inclined to agree if he's struggling to get up to match fitness and his confidence is low, then get him out on loan, get him fit, get him back to what he was last year if at all possible then pass judgement.  

He's under contract with us, so we're as well taking that action to see what he's got instead of just discarding him on the basis of a couple of "just-back-after-injury" type "first-appearance for a big club" rabbit-in-the-headlight games.  Not enough evidence for us fans yet to form a proper opinion is my view.

1 person likes this

A loan move would be best for both parties. I genuinely don't know how people can say he's pish/not good enough for Rangers based on 1 game or 2 especially as he's had no pre-season or run of games to give a fair judgement on.

I'd rather give the lad a chance & base his talent on 7/8 1st team games.