Jon Toral Signs Until End of Season.

Rangers boss Mark Warburton has made Arsenal midfielder Jon Toral his priority January signing target.

Record Sport understands Toral is considering pulling the plug on an ill-fated season-long loan with La Liga strugglers Granada and moving to Glasgow on a short-term deal instead.

And Warburton is so determined to talk Toral into making the move he has made a trip to Spain to open the discussions.

Record Sport reported last month the Ibrox manager had flown abroad to hold talks with Jota Peleteiro, another of his his former Brentord playmakers who is also cutting short a loan deal with Eibar after being recalled to Griffin Park.

But, while Jota’s name does still feature highly on Warburton’s wanted list, the Englishman denied he had been in Spain to meet with him.

Now Record Sport can reveal 21-year-old Toral was the man Warburton wanted to talk with face to face – and he has also enlisted the help of Manchester City assistant coach Mikel Arteta to help convince the player of the benefits of a move to Ibrox.

Like Arteta – who moved to Rangers as a youngster in 2002 – Toral is a product of Barcelona’s youth academy. The pair became friends when Toral and team-mate Hector Bellerin left the Nou Camp to join Arsenal’s youth set-up in 2011.

But while Bellerin has gone on to nail down a regular place in Arsene Wenger’s first team, Toral has been farmed out to a number of clubs.

In fact, he made his first appearance in senior football under Warburton at Brentford, during a season-long loan deal in 2014 and went on to become a key player in the side that pushed for promotion to the Premier League.

Warburton said at the time: “This is a sign of the relationship we have with Arsenal and our continuing desire to add quality to our playing squad.”

Now Warburton – who loaned Gideon Zelalem from the Gunners last season – is hoping to draw down on those connections again to bring Toral to Rangers.

The Spaniard spent last season at Birmingham and was voted the club’s player of the year by both his team-mates and supporters.

In fact, he was widely tipped to be challenging for a starting place in Arsenal’s midfield this season but was sent out again to Granada before the campaign had even got off the ground. The move has not worked out for either party with Toral a peripheral figure - making only five starts - in what has become a battle to avoid relegation.

He ended 2016 in the treatment room with a sprained ankle but rejoined training yesterday as the minnows prepare for a daunting trip to face Real Madrid at the Bernabeu on Saturday.

It’s understood Arteta has strongly advised Toral to take up Warburton’s offer of a fresh start in Scottish football.

34 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

He's a very good player and I would be delighted if he came here.  I have my doubts we could get him tho.

Hopefully the fact that Warburton has previously showed as much faith in the player as any other manager should help, also doubt Arsenal will be difficult , they didn't charge a loan fee for Gedion Zelalem. He's also in the last 6 mths of his current deal, maybe Warburton has dangled a pre-contract at him as well.Depends who else is sniffing about, Zola might be interested.

Wenger was delighted with the progress Zelalem made here (let's not argue about how good/bad he was) so I don't think he'd hesitate to let another youngster come here on loan 

You can say what you want about Wenger but one thing he does do is get involved with all his youth players and sees a future for them 

20 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

I can't say I know too much about Toral. He looks a big powerful player with a nice touch so I reckon he'd be a good fit and exactly what we need 

Plays on both sides, good close control, likes a shot on goal, as you say a big powerful player who wont be bullied in Scotland. two good seasons in the championship, Birmingham City's player of the year Player's Player of the Season and goal of the year, whats not to like?

Just now, GOAT said:

We really, really, really need a strong fast defensive midfielder. 

We need a lot mate, but more than anything we need quality, this guy has quality. we're desperately short of a player who can make things happen in the midfield, yeah we need cover for our back four too but heres hoping it aint either or

I also agree about a holding midfielder, should be a case of urgency as Halliday is a nightmare in there. He's a much more useful player going forward. 

Vaulks hasn't really been getting a game at Rotherham since Stubbs got sacked, I know he's only just signed but he'd be cheap and they'd happily sell as they've already sold Dominic Ball to Peterborough