Atmosphere

There aren't ten grounds, in the EPL, with atmosphere, unless you count the away support.

Leicester City fans get on my nerves with those noisy clacker things they have to make it sound noisier. It's the EPL, ffs, not the schools league. 

I used to go to a lot of English grounds in the 1980's, when there was terracing. The atmosphere was good back then, you didn't need to rely on the away fans to create an atmosphere, or a bunch of teenagers.

The modern stadium, all-seater, has brought the middle-class back to the game they left during the 1970's-1980's troubles. I used to enjoy a bit of a punch up before, during, or/and after a game. I spent a lot of time in London, and Manchester, started following City. The guys I knew in Manchester, followed City everywhere, and I used to meet up with them if City were playing in the London area.

I followed Rangers everywhere, in the UK,I had passport restrictions, the football wasn't great, but the atmosphere, and rivalries, between us and everyone was superb. Was getting arrested too much, and my mum kept threatening to throw me out for blackening the family name. It was costing me too much in fines, and they never barred you from the grounds back then. It was exciting, not knowing who, or how many were going to turn up each week. Even some of the shitty teams back then had a team of youths prepared for a scrap at their place. 

It's not all glory though, and I got a real going over one time. We were playing Them, at the piggery, a Wednesday night game, and after the game we went to a chippy, and just before I got served they ran out of chips, so I had to wait a few minutes for chips. I just got outside, and couldn't see the rest of my mates, when this guy came up to me, and walloped me with something, I fell to the ground, and got booted to fuck by these bastards, and all I could think of was protecting my sausage supper. They ran off, and I tried to get to my feet, but couldn't, this woman kept telling me stay where I was, as she had phoned an ambulance. All I kept thinking about was if my chips were alright, I hadn't eaten since breakfast. I was taken to the Southern, I think, or was transferred to there at some point. I had several broken, fractured, and cracked ribs, my head had swollen so much that they thought I might have brain damage. However, after many, many months of convalescence, I was as good as I was ever going to be. I never went looking for fights or anything after that, as I nearly lost my life, although the only thing I lost was my sausage supper. 

8 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

There aren't ten grounds, in the EPL, with atmosphere, unless you count the away support.

Leicester City fans get on my nerves with those noisy clacker things they have to make it sound noisier. It's the EPL, ffs, not the schools league. 

I used to go to a lot of English grounds in the 1980's, when there was terracing. The atmosphere was good back then, you didn't need to rely on the away fans to create an atmosphere, or a bunch of teenagers.

The modern stadium, all-seater, has brought the middle-class back to the game they left during the 1970's-1980's troubles. I used to enjoy a bit of a punch up before, during, or/and after a game. I spent a lot of time in London, and Manchester, started following City. The guys I knew in Manchester, followed City everywhere, and I used to meet up with them if City were playing in the London area.

I followed Rangers everywhere, in the UK,I had passport restrictions, the football wasn't great, but the atmosphere, and rivalries, between us and everyone was superb. Was getting arrested too much, and my mum kept threatening to throw me out for blackening the family name. It was costing me too much in fines, and they never barred you from the grounds back then. It was exciting, not knowing who, or how many were going to turn up each week. Even some of the shitty teams back then had a team of youths prepared for a scrap at their place. 

It's not all glory though, and I got a real going over one time. We were playing Them, at the piggery, a Wednesday night game, and after the game we went to a chippy, and just before I got served they ran out of chips, so I had to wait a few minutes for chips. I just got outside, and couldn't see the rest of my mates, when this guy came up to me, and walloped me with something, I fell to the ground, and got booted to fuck by these bastards, and all I could think of was protecting my sausage supper. They ran off, and I tried to get to my feet, but couldn't, this woman kept telling me stay where I was, as she had phoned an ambulance. All I kept thinking about was if my chips were alright, I hadn't eaten since breakfast. I was taken to the Southern, I think, or was transferred to there at some point. I had several broken, fractured, and cracked ribs, my head had swollen so much that they thought I might have brain damage. However, after many, many months of convalescence, I was as good as I was ever going to be. I never went looking for fights or anything after that, as I nearly lost my life, although the only thing I lost was my sausage supper. 

Very good Danny Dyer

Taken in games at white hart lane, stamford bridge, ethihad, old trafford and St James Park.

Newcastle was prob the best atmosphere, crowd are do passionate and just want there team to do well. 

Was at man city v spurs last season, two teams going for the league, spurs won 2-1 but it was a poor atmosphere in the ground. 

The old Boleyn ground was always a cracking atmosphere , especially before the all-seater era . One of the few that retained a decent atmosphere after the Taylor report kicked in .

The New Den at Millwall can still be intimidating ,Elland Road , as well . But much like Ibrox , most grounds are disappointing compared to the days of the old terracing especially for the run of the mill games .

On 11 January 2017 at 10:07 PM, Jimbeamjunior said:

WHL sounds fucking tremendous on the telly all the time, even the spurs fans away to villa in the FA CUp there sounded fantastic

TV doesnt really reflect the true atmosphere. EPL games get the Hollywood trestment in regards to production.. They are clearly mic'd a helluva lot better than most other leagues, making it sound a lot llouder than it actually is. 

Everyone more or less looks at their own home and will tell you the atmosphere can be good at their home ground. 

The Boleyn Ground has several games where the atmosphere was dead and all you could hear was the away supporters, or the home support complaining due to being served up inept performances that were hardly wetting the appetite. But there there are the head turners, the performances you didn't expect or games under the lights. Ipswich in 04, Millwall in 09, Spurs and Man United 16. I could name several times the Boleyn Ground could match any home atmosphere in the UK. Even the London Stadium has had its moments. Truly an awful ground, but just like Upton Park, we've largely been served up shit, but twice now the places has rocked. First against Chelsea and then Palace on Saturday. 

Other clubs can make a racket. The home support I've been most impressed with is Stoke City. Considering they're usually served up some rotten football, the Potters can make a racket.