A New Manager

five stars

With our current squad of players do you think a new manager would be able to improve the team and results?

It's happened before at a variety of clubs where a new manager has improved a team with the same squad of players.

Or do you think MW is getting the best out of what we have?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got just about all he possibly could have in the last two old firms, my only criticism would be playing Tav over Hodson on the 31st. Week to week, yes - other managers would be doing better. A more damning question when discussing Mr Warburtons tenure so far for me is how much better would another manager be doing with his budget. Because let's not lose sight of the fact that we should be very much comfortably ahead of Aberdeen and Hearts.

Celtic have dropped 2 points all season, there's not a lot we can do about that - we'd be behind them right now regardless of how much we invested last summer, as much as i agree 19 (21) points is criminal, the fact remains - it's not the gap between us and them that should see Warburton gone, it's the absence of one between us and the rest of the league. 

As long as we keep finishing 2nd and he is allowed to carry on his project /experiment without any board interference then Warburton will be here as long as he wants to be.

My preference would be for a real hard disciplinarian in charge. Over the years we above any other club seem to have far too many players joining us and thinking they have 'made it' and I think we've always responded better with a manager who the players know will tear a strip off them if their standards drop.

Aberdeen and hearts may have smaller budgets but they have experience and momentum behind them. Hearts spent one year in the Championship having been relegated following a points deduction. We lost almost everything. Our budget will tell in that we will finish second this year and a lot further ahead next year. No, I don't think another manager would do better with these players, most would do worse. but we do need more of the better players but not all at once.

Any manager with a bit of sense would take one look at us, see how soft centred we are and immediately sign a couple of centre halves and somebody with some physical presence to play in midfield.

It's something Warburton has gone about a year and a half without addressing properly now and that's why we've dropped points in 9 of our 21 league games this season.

A new manager would make a difference but probably in the short term, you see it all the time, new man comes in the players get a fresh slate to go out and impress the new gaffer and results improve.  I know Walter is retired and I'm just putting him out as an example, Walter would get the best out of these players, he would use tactics that played to the players strength's, he would not accept mediocrity, he would not have players shoehorned into playing a formation that they were not suited too.   Look at what happened when he took over the Scotland team, instantly improved performance and results.   In the long term no matter who the manager is investment is needed. In the short term the right man could improve our team.  Must be somebody out there who would give our players a kick in the ballocks and get them performing at a higher more consistent level.  Fuck knows who though.

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Any manager with a bit of sense would take one look at us, see how soft centred we are and immediately sign a couple of centre halves and somebody with some physical presence to play in midfield.

It's something Warburton has gone about a year and a half without addressing properly now and that's why we've dropped points in 9 of our 21 league games this season.

We just sent the guy who was meant to be that for us out on loan :lol:

The mantra seems to be every time we get beat is that we are learn from the defeat,  sorry but we are not learning or we would not be making the same mistakes  

INSANITY: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result   Albert Einstein 

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

If he bought Crooks for his physical presence lets hope he kept the receipt. 

cunts 6ft5 its the only reason I can think of why we bought him. 

31 minutes ago, rfc1990 said:

The players that we've got aren't suited for the formation that we play. We either need a new manager that uses a different formation and plays them in their proper positions or our current manager needs a change of formation. 

What formation? I think the team has been devoid of shape for as long as I can remember. Miller often finds himself playing as an auxiliary holding midfielder, Tav seems like he's been told to man mark the referee and Hill/Wilson/Kiernan have obviously fallen out because I'm not sure they've seen the whites of one another's eyes all season. 

The only time I can tell what formation we're playing is when it's kick off. I switched on the Leipzig game after a few minutes and it took me half the game to figure out who was playing where. 

I like that Warburton has tried to change it in recent weeks to a '3-5-2' but I don't think any of our players know what they are meant to be doing.