A New Manager

five stars

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They apparently got their top 2 targets of the window. Hopefully a few of those injured come back to fitness too. 

He's now also had a wee break / mini pre season or however to use the time without matches to refocus and reinvigorate the squad.

I do back him but really he and DW have for me got until the summer to show significant progress needed.

2nd is minimum requirement in terms of placing. No ambiguity.

But I also want to see more evidence of under performers dropped (did with McKay but not Tav yet), evidence he can adjust tactics (did it with longer ball to garner and with 352 but took too long and too many dropped points beforehand - stubbornness?), and general proof of overall progress in our play.

He's never going to get serious funds, so if he can't show soon he can get his squad, his new signings, playing winning football to achieve the above then I don't think he will be able to longer term. 

Hope we can have a strong 2nd half to buy him the time he needs. It's 50/50 imo he can.

2 hours ago, five stars said:

With our current squad of players do you think a new manager would be able to improve the team and results?

It's happened before at a variety of clubs where a new manager has improved a team with the same squad of players.

Or do you think MW is getting the best out of what we have?

Yes he would be able to implement a style of play best suited to the players currently available.

I see us making the same mistakes we did last season in the Championship and we have not learned from it.

It will still be the same wayward passes and shitty finishing no matter the manager.  Tavernier will still be a liability and windass will still pick and choose his performing days.  At the end of it all we need winners and not one trick ponys or losers.  The standard of player we sign is beyond the bottom of the barrel.  A system or formation doesn't stop bad passes and finishing. Only new players can solve that 

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Any manager with a bit of sense would take one look at us, see how soft centred we are and immediately sign a couple of centre halves and somebody with some physical presence to play in midfield.

It's something Warburton has gone about a year and a half without addressing properly now and that's why we've dropped points in 9 of our 21 league games this season.

I understand exactly where you are coming from, but he has attempted to sign these steely Hurlock/Gattuso/Souness type players. Barton was meant to be that kind of player. You are right though, there is definitely a weakness to the spine of the team. I also think that the reason Warburton is still looking for midfielders is that he believes that's where the real weakness is. Midfield going forward to get goals and midfield retaining possession when pressing high up the field so you don't get caught on the counter. It does need fixed, no argument there.

6 hours ago, Young Bob said:

Midfielders get walked over and our strikers get pushed over so I think this squad has peaked no matter who is in charge. This manager or a new one needs new players.

Been saying for months we actually don't have a midfield. As soon as we lose the ball teams are running at our back 3/4. Clearly aren't learning fuck all!

The players are not good enough, whether under Warburton or anyone else. Too many just lack the basic attributes. That being said, Warburton doesn't get the best out of them, because he himself doesn't posses the managerial attributes. He is one dimensional, hasn't a clue how to change games and obviously thinks that some of worst are actually players. He just needs to go, or I can see our results getting worse.

2 hours ago, writingranger said:

I understand exactly where you are coming from, but he has attempted to sign these steely Hurlock/Gattuso/Souness type players. Barton was meant to be that kind of player. You are right though, there is definitely a weakness to the spine of the team. I also think that the reason Warburton is still looking for midfielders is that he believes that's where the real weakness is. Midfield going forward to get goals and midfield retaining possession when pressing high up the field so you don't get caught on the counter. It does need fixed, no argument there.

Warburton would ruin Messi as a player, far less Barton. Any manager, never mind a fan, who thinks Tav and Halliday and others are players needs fucking sectioned or should be managing a net ball team.

7 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Warburton would ruin Messi as a player, far less Barton. Any manager, never mind a fan, who thinks Tav and Halliday and others are players needs fucking sectioned or should be managing a net ball team.

I checked Wikipedia and they are definitely players. It didn't tell me whether they are any good. I don't think Warburton had time to ruin Barton as a player though.

Why netball?

1 minute ago, writingranger said:

I checked Wikipedia and they are definitely players. It didn't tell me whether they are any good. I don't think Warburton had time to ruin Barton as a player though.

Why netball?

Well our squad aren't exactly the toughest are they and on their day look like a bunch of pussies.

I honestly laugh at most of the people on here who want rid of Warburton. His footballing philosophy is the right one, the youth set up is right the only thing he has got wrong is the players to pull it off. At brentford he had the money to bring in players that made the system work. He is smart enough to learn from his mistakes, we need patience. 

If ronny was still in charge at the big jock new camp it would have been a different season. This season was always going to be tough but judge him at the end of next season. 

We are Rangers but you can't compare this squad with the pre 2012 squad or expect the same results. 

I think they are doing their level best to blow smoke up our collective erses.

Clueless and unprincipled. Now damaged goods. Their time is over and I suspect the second half of the season will turn into their worst nightmare, as I cannot see the points difference between us and the scum improving, but only worsening.

3 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

I honestly laugh at most of the people on here who want rid of Warburton. His footballing philosophy is the right one, the youth set up is right the only thing he has got wrong is the players to pull it off. At brentford he had the money to bring in players that made the system work. He is smart enough to learn from his mistakes, we need patience. 

If ronny was still in charge at the big jock new camp it would have been a different season. This season was always going to be tough but judge him at the end of next season. 

We are Rangers but you can't compare this squad with the pre 2012 squad or expect the same results. 

Wrong players, his players. Comparison with Delia, another imposter and thus far has learned fuck all.

You've just proven he is clueless.