A New Manager

five stars

47 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

No real money for a January transfer wiūndow, his target was second place and he is easily going to achieve that. Most bears issues lies with being so far off the scum which does make me spew but as long as we are the second best this season then objective complete. 

With a bigger income this summer and the chance of European football I see the board giving more money than last summer, then even more the next. Small steps but no big  initial overlay which makes sense tbh. 

Too many people are stuck in the now scenario but the management and board have a plan in place.

Everything has to be done gradual even tho I too would love us to spend 15 in one window and be better than them but the risk is too high

We had no real money last summer with a record ST sale, we paid for Garner. 

So the board had no intention of funding a transfer window gave us some rubbish about keeping some in reserve for Jan? Well we can see how that turned out 2 young players on loan so no building for the future in this window. 

What bigger income? Where is this money coming from you seem to think we will have?

After this season I can guarantee you ST sales will be below this season, so thats a drop in income straight away. We have no new commercial income on the horizon something this board has failed miserably at

What plan? Please tell me what it is because we are all trying to figure out what it is? 

We need to spend 15mill in a window, we have to bring the spine of the squad back to pre whyte levels of standard and value if you don't do that all you are doing is crossing fingers and praying it works out.

If the board really have our best interests at heart they would come up with a straight pay when we can loan for 15mill no interest rate they can have a ecurity over the assets if they want and no under valued share conversion so they can make a nice wee profit on the deal. 

I don't know what age you are mate, but the club is looking remarkably similar to the late 70's early 80's and without a serious injection of capital we will be spinning our wheels for years to come. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I wouldn't take McLeish back ..

3rd in a 2-horse race. Don't buy that myth about Hearts being amazing - they were the best Hearts team since probably 1992 but 2/3 good players aside they weren't anything mouth-watering.

Was it 8 Old Firm games without a win and not scoring in about 5/6 of them?

In 2006 we went something like 10 games without a win - an all-time low for any Rangers manager/team.

Of course he brought us some great days - the double in his first six months, treble in his first full season and the last 16 of the Champions League (even if it was with the lowest points total) but McLeish made some horrific buys. He did well with wee Advocaat's team and Helicopter Sunday for all it was amazing and we kept plugging away, Celtic fucked it. Let's be honest - that's part of the fun of it.

I've not got a short memory Eck's time was up - I was dying for him to leave.

I can't complain with what you've said coz with most managers we've had there comes a time when you can't wait to see the back of them. 

We unfortunately don't have the money to invest in a top manager so we may need to go for someone who has a bit of history with the club, looking at who has the experience and thick skin of maybe dealing with our demands I feel big Eck would fit that bill.

I honestly don't know what manager we could pull in that would be able to deal with our demands in this current situation. 

I think we would have a hard time finding somebody to replace Warburton.

I've said loads of times that if Warburton does end up leaving and things aren't going to change in terms of investment we need somebody who knows the demands and expectations of a big club and somebody who can get a team well organised and hard to beat while working on a really tight budget.

Getting somebody who ticks all of those boxes won't be as easy as some people make it out to be.

My opinion of McLeish is he got the best out of the squad he inherited. But when it came to bringing in his own players he fucked it right up.

Given that we don't have the funds for massive spending, and therefor need to get the best out of what we've got I'd seriously consider McLeish.

24 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

How much did Smith spend that January he came back though and steadied the mess Le Guen left? 2 million for Kevin Thomson fair enough but the other additions were Weir on a free and Ugo on a free to shore up the defence.

That's all it takes short-term to get tightened up and get this lot organised and playing to their strengths. 

The money you mention came afterwards to push on from that and 30m is a deceptive figure - that was spread over 4 seasons. That's not unresonable for a club our size, turnover, fanbase and ambition - or shouldn't be.

Not much I suppose, but if Warburton brought in 2 35+ CBs cunts would be going mental. 

Agreed, which makes it all the more baffling that a guy who's had in the region of £2m over 18 months it taking dogs abuse from some at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, Barbarrosa said:

My opinion of McLeish is he got the best out of the squad he inherited. But when it came to bringing in his own players he fucked it right up.

Given that we don't have the funds for massive spending, and therefor need to get the best out of what we've got I'd seriously consider McLeish.

Agreed on the first point.

He got the best out of the de Boer and Amoruso's of this world, not O'Halloran and Kiernans. When he signed players on a budget, they were largely awful - aside from a few great ones here and there. 

10 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Not much I suppose, but if Warburton brought in 2 35+ CBs cunts would be going mental. 

Agreed, which makes it all the more baffling that a guy who's had in the region of £2m over 18 months it taking dogs abuse from some at the moment. 

No one's going Mental about Clint Hill some questioned it with his age and him having an injury for me he still lacks pace but has certainly improved the backline.

Agree he's not had enough to spend plus we don't really know what or who his first picks were.

18 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I take what your saying but at the time I never went mental at the two center-backs because I knew we had to shore that area up. Svensson and Papac were playing there if I remember correctly and they looked as useless as they two clowns we've got there now.

Obviously Weir made an impression so we got someone younger in Cuellar to play with him and it worked a treat - then Bougherra. But Wilson couldn't lace their boots to go with our current veteran in Hill.

Warburton hasn't had any money - you'll never hear me disagree there but he's made plenty of errors outwith that. How much money had Hibs got when they pumped us 3 times last season? I don't buy what some people say that we outplayed them in 2 of they game either - we were rank. 

How much money has Ross County or St Johnstone spent compared to us? the 2 million he spunked on Garner they won't spend that in 5 years on players total between them. 

On 17/01/2017 at 3:17 PM, Tiger Shaw said:

A new manager would make a difference but probably in the short term, you see it all the time, new man comes in the players get a fresh slate to go out and impress the new gaffer and results improve.  I know Walter is retired and I'm just putting him out as an example, Walter would get the best out of these players, he would use tactics that played to the players strength's, he would not accept mediocrity, he would not have players shoehorned into playing a formation that they were not suited too.   Look at what happened when he took over the Scotland team, instantly improved performance and results.   In the long term no matter who the manager is investment is needed. In the short term the right man could improve our team.  Must be somebody out there who would give our players a kick in the ballocks and get them performing at a higher more consistent level.  Fuck knows who though.

For real? Walter would have 9 CHs on the pitch if he could. 

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I take what your saying but at the time I never went mental at the two center-backs because I knew we had to shore that area up. Svensson and Papac were playing there if I remember correctly and they looked as useless as they two clowns we've got there now.

Obviously Weir made an impression so we got someone younger in Cuellar to play with him and it worked a treat - then Bougherra. But Wilson couldn't lace their boots to go with our current veteran in Hill.

Warburton hasn't had any money - you'll never hear me disagree there but he's made plenty of errors outwith that. How much money had Hibs got when they pumped us 3 times last season? I don't buy what some people say that we outplayed them in 2 of they game either - we were rank. 

How much money has Ross County or St Johnstone spent compared to us? the 2 million he spunked on Garner they won't spend that in 5 years on players total between them. 

I didn't either, but I think people would now. 

The difference is that we could go out and spend a couple of £m of Bougherra or £3.5m(?) of Cuellar to balance it out. We can't now. All we have is free transfers on relatively low wages. That gets you guys that are over the hill or still developing. 

He's far from perfect, and has made mistakes - but also has been a little unlucky at times IMO.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Sarcasm, but regularly had at least 4, if not 5.

As well a right back at right mid.

Most weeks he'd have 4 center halfs across the backline (Papac, Weir, Cuellar/Bougherra, Broadfoot) and sometimes Daily in midfield too for good measure. 

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Any proof we're second best? Or in fact that the players are quality?

Look at the games played. Bar the scum we have been the better side, the goals we lose are soft goals in my opinion and if we sort out those and add quality in midfield we will be for lack of a better phrase "in good shape"

33 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Aye and it worked in most cases as the players could play the formation and positions the were put in. That's why we won titles.

We won titles yes. Not disputing that. WS set us up as an extremely hard to beat defensive unit, and targeted and spent enough on quality players to win us games. We could be having a stinking game, but someone with something special would pull us out a hole.

He was a solid reliable manager, but football has passed him by now IMO - particularly in our current financial situation. 

1 minute ago, Tenerife Bear said:

The board are inept and every bit as clueless as him. They are playing out time hoping something clicks and he eventually gets it right.  We are genuinely going nowhere right now. 

He's the Patsy now for under-investment by the board they will hang him out to dry and hope no shit sticks to them.

4 hours ago, Smile said:

He's the Patsy now for under-investment by the board they will hang him out to dry and hope no shit sticks to them.

Yeah it's the boards fault we can't beat teams like Ross County& St Johnstone with by far the second biggest budget in the league?

Also it's the  boards fault MW spent £1.8m on a striker that's not even in the top 25 scorers in the SPFL while a team like Ross County picked up a striker from Cliftonville for nothing who is now the top scorer in Scotland.

It must also be the boards fault that we could not beat the mighty Alloa twice last season and lost 5 times to Hibs and Falkirk teams that are clearly filled with galacticos costing ten of millions.....oh wait.

5 minutes ago, Albertz 78 said:

Yeah it's the boards fault we can't beat teams like Ross County& St Johnstone with by far the second biggest budget in the league?

Also it's the  boards fault MW spent £1.8m on a striker that's not even in the top 25 scorers in the SPFL while a team like Ross County picked up a striker from Cliftonville for nothing who is now the top scorer in Scotland.

It must also be the boards fault that we could not beat the mighty Alloa twice last season and lost 5 times to Hibs and Falkirk teams that are clearly filled with galacticos costing ten of millions.....oh wait.

I don't disagree with your points and have said exactly the same myself, I also mentioned his results in the championship and have also stated I would have got rid of him.

But since the board have not they have to back him financially or what's the point of keeping him here with no room to improve the team.?

2 hours ago, Albertz 78 said:

They appointed a man who is responsible for all those failures so in essence they are to blame. It's their fault he is in a position to make so many mistakes and suffer so many humiliations and embarrassments.  And this isn't their 1st failed appointment either by the way, this is their 2nd, in a row.