*** The Official Rangers V Ross County Match Thread ***

ForeverAndEver

3 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I sensed not long after that injury that his confidence had gone, and I would put it down to the nature of the injury; a hamstring injury does have that effect on a player, where they don't trust themselves fully for while when going on a run etc. I think he has found it hard to get back into things. It's ironic that someone rightly points out his poor first touch, because that was the best part of his game last season. He is a very talented footballer, when he is at his best you appreciate that easily, but it might be a matter of getting a goal.

Agreed. 

And what's more, it's just a hunch but I reckon he'll grab one in this game. 

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Those two goals in November were not the goals of a bad player. He would in all likelihood have scored on Hognanay had Forrester put him through as well, he did the hard part, he got himself in the position to score. This guy is overlooked and looked on as a bad player wrongly in my opinion.

Don't laugh, but imagine if we asked Halliday to play as the DM and he turned out to be shit at it?

Agreed - play Dodoo through the middle with something that might be called 'support', he'd be fine. That's not 4-3-3 so it won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'd put him through the middle, and keep him there; let him play off Kenny- he scored that second goal against Partick Thistle with a ball from Miller. I see a talented player there- the first goal was on a half volley, and he managed to place it between the GK and the post, and the second he found the net through a crowded box by curling it round the GK. That alone should have seen him an automatic choice for a while,

Yep, and that would go some way to helping us out with other issues too. The sorry amount of time that the ball spends in the opposition box might just be why we score so few goals, not helped by the current choice 'central' striker doing his best to play anywhere but there.

Having two strikers might also stop that infernal passing-to-nowhere that the midfield invariably gets stuck in repeatedly.

18 minutes ago, JR said:

Waghorn needs a goal fucking desperately. His confidence is shot to shit and in that mode, he's like a man down. 

He does need a goal desperately but he needs to remember that he is part of a team and when he is around the box its not just lets be a greedy bastard when others are in better positions, his goal will come he is trying to force it too much just now

Just now, james_85 said:

He does need a goal desperately but he needs to remember that he is part of a team and when he is around the box its not just lets be a greedy bastard when others are in better positions, his goal will come he is trying to force it too much just now

Agreed but I think one promotes the other. He's desperate to score so he's greedy. Grab a goal, get his confidence back and become a team player. 

We can but hope it happens in this game, for everyone's sake. 

11 minutes ago, Hilly86 said:

Yep, and that would go some way to helping us out with other issues too. The sorry amount of time that the ball spends in the opposition box might just be why we score so few goals, not helped by the current choice 'central' striker doing his best to play anywhere but there.

Having two strikers might also stop that infernal passing-to-nowhere that the midfield invariably gets stuck in repeatedly.

If a team sit back, the way most teams do at Ibrox against us, then pace in the forward line is necessary. Dodoo also has good pace, as does Miller, and McKay. I cannot understand at all why Dodoo hasn't been in the team, or even near the team. I'm a Warburton fan, still, but I do have this as one of my criticisms of his team selections. I think he has to be more radical and drop players who are not performing well- I can think of three off the top of my head, and he needs to give other players a chance. Dodoo proved a few months ago he deserves a chance, and should have had that chance a lot sooner.

7 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

I bought a ticket for a mate who will be celebrating 21 Years Sobriety tomorrow as a gift and we are going to the game together. I will be deliriously happy with a good performance and  3 points..But will be even more ecstatic if MW and the current team of diddies don't drive the both of us back on the bevvy...:thumbsup:

Good luck to him then aha! 

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

If a team sit back, the way most teams do at Ibrox against us, then pace in the forward line is necessary. Dodoo also has good pace, as does Miller, and McKay. I cannot understand at all why Dodoo hasn't been in the team, or even near the team. I'm Warburton fan, still, but I do have this as one of my criticisms of his team selections. I think he has to be more radical and drop players who not performing well- I can think of three off the top of my head, and he needs to give other players a chance. Dodoo proved a few months ago he deserves a chance, and should have had that chance a lot sooner.

It's not so much dropping players for me (Kiernan apart) but not sending the players out to fail by asking them to do things they can't. Even Waghorn wouldn't look like such a carthorse if played as a centre-forward rather than falling over his feet in slow motion out wide.

For me the more radical choice for MW would be to drop the 4-3-3 that's not working and do something different, better suited to the players he brought to the club.

24 minutes ago, Hilly86 said:

It's not so much dropping players for me (Kiernan apart) but not sending the players out to fail by asking them to do things they can't. Even Waghorn wouldn't look like such a carthorse if played as a centre-forward rather than falling over his feet in slow motion out wide.

For me the more radical choice for MW would be to drop the 4-3-3 that's not working and do something different, better suited to the players he brought to the club.

He has played about with it though, hasn't he? Tavernier was on the wing at times. Could he not use a 442 to some degree, with some variation, and having Hyndman and Windas/Toral through the middle; Mckay and Tavernier on each flank, and Dodoo and Miller up front? Drop Halliday and Kiernan, and play Wilson and Hill, with Hodson and Wallace on each flank in defence.  That wouldn't have to be a rigid 442, and when we have played it slightly similar it wasn't rigid then either.

I dunno where to start with the lineup for this game. CB and DM positions give me nightmares. 

I would normally choose Kiernan over Wilson but think his consistent ability to jump under crosses has cost us once too often. The lack of replacement means Halliday stays until Rossiter is fit. And Waghorn stays in the hope he finds some kind of form. Tav would be out as I believe Hodson defends better than him and we really need to start defenders that can defend primarily.

I'd go.....

Wes

Hodson Wilson Hill Wallace

Hyndman Halliday Toral

Waghorn Miller Mckay 

41 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Warning, controversial team selection.

Wes

Tav - Senderos - Hill - Wallace

Kiernan

Toral - Hyndman

McKay

Miller - Dodoo 

I'd picked the very same players but with a back three. Kiernan only remains because I've never seen Bates play.

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

He has played about with it though, hasn't he? Tavernier was on the wing at times. Could he not use a 442 to some degree, with some variation, and having Hyndman and Windas/Toral through the middle; Mckay and Tavernier on each flank, and Dodoo and Miller up front? Drop Halliday and Kiernan, and play Wilson and Hill, with Hodson and Wallace on each flank in defence.  That wouldn't have to be a rigid 442, and when we have played it slightly similar it wasn't rigid then either.

All better than the status quo - something, anything that doesn't reek of square pegs and round holes.