"Our job is to finish second"

NeoGeo7

So this Q&A piece that came out is a real eye opener as far as the manager's mentality is concerned.

Last season we know that he wouldn't reveal the targets for that season in any great detail but later in the season said the goal was to not only win the league but to "smash it" and that had been shared with the squad at the start of the season.

Putting these two morsels of information together paints the picture that we aimed to be second this year i.e. "Highly competitive" in the league. So lets say for arguments sake this was the goal what kind of message does that send to the players? When we take on the Mhanks home or away, "It's ok if we lose boys, we only want to finish second".

Therein lies the problem, the manager's views and therefore the players' views are out of alignment with the support. Sure it was optimistic (putting it lightly) to expect to win the league this year but that should have been and should always be the goal of any Rangers manager or player regardless of unprecedented circumstances. If you don't achieve it then provided everyone was doing their absolute best, leaving nothing of themselves on the pitch at the final whistle then there is tolerance amongst the support. We don't accept it because our place is at the top but we can tolerate it provided we know that the management and players also don't accept it and will strive to improve and win it the next time.

This is what is missing here. The manager simply does not get it and therefore neither do his players. So we lose to Hearts twice in a season but hey its ok because we beat Dundee and Inverness away. Rubbish.

When you play teams around you if you want to be better than them you have to beat them or at the very least not be beaten, otherwise you are relying on other teams to do what you cannot and this is just not our way.

My biggest fear is actually finishing second whether it be by 1 point or 10 points (which apparently makes no difference to our manager) as it will probably mean Warburton remains in charge with this apathetic stance towards the battle for power in scottish football. The sheer lack of ambition or fight in the manager is quite frankly appalling. As I alluded to earlier this may not be realistic but you have to aim high and push yourselves otherwise the type of results and performances we have put in are described as "bad days at the office" as opposed to completely unacceptable in every sense.

The manager was right with one thing. The road to the top is going to be hard and it will take time but accepting second best and shrugging your shoulders and the continued "speed bumps" and individual errors is putting us on the fast track to mediocrity.

It's disgraceful , firstly sitting down with any of the papers that spout lies and take delight in kicking our Great Club at any opportunity they  can ,

We now have our manager giving them more headlines imagine Jock Wallace  saying we will settle for 2 ND best in public ?? Wouldn't happen , changed days 

Realistically I don't think any of us expected to win the league once they brought in Dembelle and Sinclair and a new manager in Rodgers. 

But I expected to be beating Aberdeen and Hearts away from home and beating them at Ibrox, I expected to be sitting well clear in second place and looking good doing it. 

Another thing, this pish about them having an adnormal season it's just that pish. I always thought when we had a great Rangers team compared to the rest of the league we had a good chance of going the season unbeaten in the league. 

Drip drip drip, brainwash mediocrity into the masses, brainwash, brainwash, brainwash......breeding losers, breeding losers, breeding losers....drip drip drip....lower expectation lower expectation lower expectation.......drip drip drip.......

Treating our fans like fucking idiots and sadly some of them have fallen for it. The type of fans who will make excuse after excuse as Celtic lift their 10th, 11th, 12th title in a row. 

This board do not have the desire to challenge Celtic, they do not have the means to stop Celtic, they do not have the brains to challenge Celtic and the manager they have chosen whom will never ever win a major trophy in his entire managerial career will never again win another old firm match or ever learn from his many mistakes. He is incapable. He is a loser much like the fans the club have been brainwashing for the last x amount of years. In a repugnant round about way, they deserve each other. These fools making excuses for a dud manager and failing board deserve the club they have. I hope they enjoy 10 in a row because under these clowns, nothing is surer. 

There is no light at the end of the tunnel, nothing but blind faith. As it stands today, 3rd Feb 2017, our club is finished. Done. 

I expect us to go away from home and not get hammered every time we set foot out the door, because we are not set up properly. We still wouldnt be first - and that was an unrealistic expectation - but we would be in a better position with a happier fan base because we would see progress. I dont see progress - thats the issue.

2 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Drip drip drip, brainwash mediocrity into the masses, brainwash, brainwash, brainwash......breeding losers, breeding losers, breeding losers....drip drip drip....lower expectation lower expectation lower expectation.......drip drip drip.......

Treating our fans like fucking idiots and sadly some of them have fallen for it. The type of fans who will make excuse after excuse as Celtic lift their 10th, 11th, 12th title in a row. 

This board do not have the desire to challenge Celtic, they do not have the means to stop Celtic, they do not have the brains to challenge Celtic and the manager they have chosen whom will never ever win a major trophy in his entire managerial career will never again win another old firm match or ever learn from his many mistakes. He is incapable. He is a loser much like the fans the club have been brainwashing for the last x amount of years. In a repugnant round about way, they deserve each other. These fools making excuses for a dud manager and failing board deserve the club they have. I hope they enjoy 10 in a row because under these clowns, nothing is surer. 

There is no light at the end of the tunnel, nothing but blind faith. As it stands today, 3rd Feb 2017, our club is finished. Done. 

well fuck off then. 

My genuine fear is that the current manager and squad might not even finish 3rd never mind accepting 2nd as a target.

We will see a decline in Season Tickets next season..It's inevitable..Difficult days ahead..Hope the manager and squad care just half as much as the support does and we can go on a winning run showing some pride in the jersey and some fight to earn that 2nd place..

I can't remember exactly what King said but has he not been on record publicly stating 2nd and European qualification were the primary aims for this season? Apologies if I've picked that up wrong but I vaguely remember a bit of a furore with some his comments from last year. If that's what Warburton was given as his objective technically he's on course to achieve. Of course that doesn't quite tell the whole story though.

8 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

My genuine fear is that the current manager and squad might not even finish 3rd never mind accepting 2nd as a target.

We will see a decline in Season Tickets next season..It's inevitable..Difficult days ahead..Hope the manager and squad care just half as much as the support does and we can go on a winning run showing some pride in the jersey and some fight to earn that 2nd place..

2nd is only the best we can do right now. like you say we could easily finish 3rd or if things get worse we could be 4th or 5th. 

that's what i worry about. if we drop season tickets then less money on the team. just what we need fs. if warburton wants any chance of staying he needs to get his shit together and make sure we finish in 2nd with a considerable gap over 3rd place. anything less than that is unacceptable and he should be replaced.

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I can't remember exactly what King said but has he not been on record publicly stating 2nd and European qualification were the primary aims for this season? Apologies if I've picked that up wrong but I vaguely remember a bit of a furore with some his comments from last year. If that's what Warburton was given as his objective technically he's on course to achieve. Of course that doesn't quite tell the whole story though.

i remember him saying it (european qualification not 2nd) but fuck knows where/when. as i understand it if we were to keep finishing 4th place or worse then we'd have no chance whatsoever in catching up with that lot. if we can finish 2nd or 3rd then we can get into europe which of course attracts better players and hopefully the board will put in more money to strengthen our team for not just the premiership but european football. if we consistently get into europe season after season then we will get closer to the taigs.

the thing is no matter what...2nd place is just unacceptable. unfortunately we have no choice but to accept it this season. we should ALWAYS be aiming for first place. that's what our club is all about.

2 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

He said after the Celtic game at Hampden that Europe was the target, but the plans may have been pushed a year if we had beaten hibs and got Europa league. He's never said that 2nd was the aim as far as I'm aware, until the season had already started.

I think without being blindly optimistic, second was always the most probable outcome. However as things stand with our current performances even that seems optimistic. 

The #GoingFor55 will be used next season and every other season for however long it takes to claim 55. 

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Basically results against the tarriers dont matter, thats what he's saying, 

Small time diddy team mentality

Remember Souness saying that. Only difference being is Souness could kick a team up the backside if they didn't perform.