Overrated players past & present?

Gaz52

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

9ac.jpg

I'm not saying he wasn't brilliant but I think his style and the impact he made for France sometimes makes people think he ALWAYS stepped up when it mattered. He was a non-entity in back-to-back Champions League finals for Juve. He joined the best team in Europe and five years later he left it without winning the big one. He spent the best years of his prime underachieving at club level. Messi gets criticised for walking through games at times. Zidane did this a lot, but got away with it because nobody looked better doing nothing. Messi walks through games and scores 50 goals a season.

Amazing for France, obviously.

13 hours ago, JamieD said:

I'm not saying he wasn't brilliant but I think his style and the impact he made for France sometimes makes people think he ALWAYS stepped up when it mattered. He was a non-entity in back-to-back Champions League finals for Juve. He joined the best team in Europe and five years later he left it without winning the big one. He spent the best years of his prime underachieving at club level. Messi gets criticised for walking through games at times. Zidane did this a lot, but got away with it because nobody looked better doing nothing. Messi walks through games and scores 50 goals a season.

Amazing for France, obviously.

I'm fairly sure he did, scoring in the final too!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwifwbXL8YfSAhXJL8AKHbuuCNQQtwIIHzAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfaTGfCS2UFc&usg=AFQjCNGbWafI0QrsCAavNurCQ1arhFvSog&sig2=TEisZH-EJFYzlIA0okZJtw

58 minutes ago, the sliver fox said:

I was talking about Juventus from 1996 to 2001. They won the CL season before he joined, thrashing us, if I remember right, then lost back to back finals in 1997 (when Zidane was famously out of sorts, or marked out of the game by the distinctly not world class Paul Lambert, if you believe the hype) and in 1998.

Every world class player has bad games but the narrative is usually that Zidane could always be relied on in the big games, like some kind of demi-god. He came up short a fair few times when it mattered too, especially at club level.

20 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Gerrard is the most overrated player ever.

Currently I find David Silva massively overrated.

Can't think of any player who sums up how ridiculous the whole "could messi do it in England" thing is more than him, considering Silva is considered top class.

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I was talking about Juventus from 1996 to 2001. They won the CL season before he joined, thrashing us, if I remember right, then lost back to back finals in 1997 (when Zidane was famously out of sorts, or marked out of the game by the distinctly not world class Paul Lambert, if you believe the hype) and in 1998.

Every world class player has bad games but the narrative is usually that Zidane could always be relied on in the big games, like some kind of demi-god. He came up short a fair few times when it mattered too, especially at club level.

I get you now buddy, the way I read it you were on about his time at Madrid. Too early in the morning for me, off for a strong coffee I think

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Gerrard is the most overrated player ever.

Currently I find David Silva massively overrated.

I think Gerrard's career speaks for itself in terms of his goals, assists etc. He probably does get overrated a bit by the media but the English media overrate every single English player with a bit of talent 

9 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

Bayern could do 10x better than Muller, let's be honest. He's very limited and often invisible in games. I just don't see why there's such a hardon over him

Great player. He's limited, aye, but he pushes himself to his limits and gives 100% whenever I've seen him play.

What he lacks in sheer technique he makes up for in determination. You don't have a scoring record like his at International level without being a very good player. A Golden boot in the 2010 World Cup, second highest goalscorer at the 2014 WC and second best player award as well. He's very consistent at a high level.

I don't understand how anyone could think Ibrahimovic is overrated, at least in this country. He is probably the most criticised world class player of the last 20 years and is generally rated as a spectacularly gifted player who flatters to deceive in the biggest games.

Another one that might be a bit controversial considering the amount of goals the guy scored and the honours he won but I thought Filippo Inzaghi was a truly terrible footballer. Always had that knack of scoring but he usually miscontrolled it before putting the ball in the back of the net with a mis-hit.

Ronaldinho was one of ..if not the best players about for 4/5 years on the trot.

I don't think overrated means not being able to maintain form over a set period of time. At PSG in his final season and Barca he was class he just packed it in at 30 when at Milan. He for me was one of the most gifted players I have ever seen.

4 hours ago, Mr Soprano said:

I think Alli is superb.

Got bags of potential, will never be a Lampard though. He can only dream.

Crazy to call him overrated though when he's been the best young player in the premier league this season.