Gary Monk

Big Al 55

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

What we should be doing is looking at the Barnsley manager

Paul 'Heckingbottom' is the Barnsley manager. Regardless of the incredible job he's done, I can see the headlines now... not what we want. 

Gary Monk is never in a million years going to leave Leeds right now and he's no different in style to Gary Rowett who is available but is not interested (amazingly). 

If Frank De Boer falls through then Henning Berg is the guy. 

Still no interim manager announced, I feel Eck isn't enamoured by the 4 month stint. 

Heard a bit about Huddersfield FC on the Radio (their Chairman i think)and apparently they have a Manager from the 2nd tier Bundesliga League. 

anyway they are doing great in the Championship with this German bloke and he has brought in a ton of players from the German Leagues for next to nothing. Maybe this is the kinda thing we should be thinking about - the market here is heavily over inflated and we arent exactly flush right now!!

10 hours ago, Bearsden bear said:

Heard a bit about Huddersfield FC on the Radio (their Chairman i think)and apparently they have a Manager from the 2nd tier Bundesliga League. 

anyway they are doing great in the Championship with this German bloke and he has brought in a ton of players from the German Leagues for next to nothing. Maybe this is the kinda thing we should be thinking about - the market here is heavily over inflated and we arent exactly flush right now!!

Wagner looked after Dortmunds ressies so a few leagues lower than that.

Been saying it since last week, go out and look about you'll find plenty of managers on the continent who have done a good job and deserve a chance.

They won't, we will end up with pish like Alex McLeish.

5 hours ago, lazza1873 said:

Wagner looked after Dortmunds ressies so a few leagues lower than that.

Been saying it since last week, go out and look about you'll find plenty of managers on the continent who have done a good job and deserve a chance.

They won't, we will end up with pish like Alex McLeish.

Yeah thats him 'Wagner' knowing our luck we would end up with that fanny out the X Factor

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Doing great in the Championship should mean very little - Warburton almost got Brentford promoted 

look at the bigger picture of who you want - their profile, experience everything 

That's pretty much what I was trying to say earlier in this thread.

Managers have a notoriously short shelf life in the championship and it's such a competitive league that a managers stock can go from sky high to rock bottom in the space of a few months.

21 hours ago, Bearsden bear said:

He is American.

Just now, DBBTB said:

That's pretty much what I was trying to say earlier in this thread.

Managers have a notoriously short shelf life in the championship and it's such a competitive league that a managers stock can go from sky high to rock bottom in the space of a few months.

Aye in the past ten years you've even seen guys like Dave Jones, Glenn Roeder, Phil Brown, Peter Reid, John Gregory all have that outstanding season (sometimes 2) ... it's a strange league in that people can peak. 

We need to think long and hard about this appointment and Monk because he's had a good 6 months at Leeds, Young and fresh faced isn't really standing out for me. 

Some of that is my gut feeling too as I said Rowett wouldn't be a bad appointment (even if he's not my first choice) there's just a little more about him from what my gut tells me 

33 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Aye in the past ten years you've even seen guys like Dave Jones, Glenn Roeder, Phil Brown, Peter Reid, John Gregory all have that outstanding season (sometimes 2) ... it's a strange league in that people can peak. 

We need to think long and hard about this appointment and Monk because he's had a good 6 months at Leeds, Young and fresh faced isn't really standing out for me. 

Some of that is my gut feeling too as I said Rowett wouldn't be a bad appointment (even if he's not my first choice) there's just a little more about him from what my gut tells me 

I think that it's all fine and well coming out with names like Wagner, Monk and that Heckenbottom because they are doing well at small clubs, but moving up to us is a completely different animal. We've just seen first hand with Warburton (who I fully believe would still be getting plaudits for what he's done this season if he had been achieving it at a smaller club) how the things managers implement and earn plaudits for at these smaller, more marginal clubs, don't easily transition to a club where winning every week is all that matters. 

For me it has to be somebody who's older because we are going to try and catch celtic on a fraction of their budget and I don't believe a younger manager has the experience needed to do that.

I'd rather we just got an experienced manager in rather than try this DOF and head coach thing. To me that just reeks of the latest 'throw something at the wall in the hope it sticks' move of the board.

21 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I woulf prefer an older experienced guy - Neil Warnock would be ideal

49 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Fair comment in the first line, all were gods gift or the next big thing at one time, I heard Phil Brown on the radio last week, he might be the only one still managing, 0.86 of a year was a stat I just found as being the timescale of a championship manager( sky sports June 2015)prob even shorter now.