Scottish Sun: Murty still in charge v. Cel*ic

OceanRain

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/616301/graeme-murty-will-stay-in-rangers-hotseat-for-old-firm-showdown-against-celtic/

RANGERS have stepped up their search for a new boss and director of football with a series of interviews.

But stand-in gaffer Graeme Murty will STAY in the hotseat for the Old Firm derby on March 12, despite Sunday’s damaging 2-1 defeat at Dundee.

SunSport understands Ibrox chiefs will not be panicked into making two rushed appointments.

Murty has been in caretaker charge for Gers’ last two matches and it’s believed the ex-Scotland cap could remain in the role until AFTER the trip to Parkhead.

Gers have league games against Inverness Caley and St Johnstone, plus a Scottish Cup clash with Hamilton Accies, before the face-off with Celtic.

But the Ibrox board are comfortable with Under-20s coach Murty staying in temporary charge.

They had considered bringing in a short-term boss to have an immediate impact but that will not happen now.

Despite losing at Dens Park for the first time in 25 years, the board have been impressed with the job Murty has done so far.

Experienced striker Kenny Miller has also had a hands-on role behind the scenes, despite his own future at the club hanging in the balance.

The 37-year-old striker — who is out of contract at the end of the season — has not been officially asked to help Murty.

But Miller has been trying desperately to coax more out of the struggling Gers team — on and off the pitch.

That’s not gone unnoticed by the board, who are focusing on the process of talking to potential candidates to take over from Mark Warburton.

Their priority, though, is to name a director of football first and they have met with a number of possible appointments.

Southampton’s head of recruitment Ross Wilson is at the top of their list and regarded as the No 1 target, as reported in SunSport on Sunday.

The hugely respected 34-year-old impressed Gers’ power-brokers during talks in London last week, although he could yet decide to stay in the Premier League with the EFL Cup finalists.

Another candidate is Paul Mitchell, 35, who is working his notice to leave Tottenham.

Brentford’s Robert Rowan has also been discussed, although it’s believed he is now OUT of the running.

Gers supremo Stewart Robertson, who is leading the board’s search with backing from directors Graeme Park and Andrew Dickson, spoke last week about modernising the club by making forward-thinking appointments.

But crucially he’s willing to hold off and wait to get the right men — even if that takes longer than supporters would like.

Billy Davies and Alex McLeish were the early favourites but neither has been contacted, despite both being available.

Dutch legend Frank de Boer is still in the frame but there are doubts he’d be willing to return to Glasgow, where he had a spell as a Rangers player.

The former Inter Milan boss also made it clear he wouldn’t be able to take charge until the summer.

No appointment is expected imminently as talks with a variety of contenders for both jobs are likely to continue into next week.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

I really don't think that's true, surely the board aren't that thick.

Wouldn't surprise me if the tight - fisted bastards  leave him in charge till the end of the season  to save themselves a few grand on wages

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, Don54 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the tight - fisted bastards  leave him in charge till the end of the season  to save themselves a few grand on wages

If they'd do I'd be pretty annoyed tbh, I can't see us finishing in a European spot with Murty or getting any further in the cup so that would mean they've basically sacked the season off. Ultimately I'd feel bad for the guy as he doesn't deserve to take this shower of shite till the end of the season its not his job.

This is disgraceful from the board if true. King, Murray, park Gilligan, every one of you should be fucking ashamed of yourselves.   If the headstand cunt is in til Tims game at least that's surely him until end of season. As was said on heart and hand podcast last night by David Edgar. Looks like the board have written this season off and that's not fucking acceptable at Rangers 

We are waiting on FDB its a massive risk but I dont think we can get a interim in thats willing to take it for 12week and thats fuckin sickening 

Big eck last week asking for a call Rangers then approach him he  then asks for  guarantees for next season 

Some Rangers man that

If the Board are seriously considering this Season is already a right off..Then why not just pick a supporter to take a weeks Training then a game each week until the end of the Season..I bet we would do a damn sight better at motivation than Murty ever could...

7 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Why do people on here pick and choose when to believe a story in the paper?

No one yet knows if he will or won't be. I'm guessing he won't.

So did  managing director Stewart Robertson not say tell  Murty he will be in charge for the "foreseeable future" after the Morton game ?

12 minutes ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Oh well, at least our board are happy to see the Taigs do an unbeaten season. 

King was reported as seeing us alternating title wins with them.

I hadn't realised he meant they'd take the first ten...

1 hour ago, Leeds_Bear said:

The Sun don't have a clue. 

This.

As usual with The Sun there's no quotes or any evidence whatsoever to back up their story.

I really wish people would stop posting articles from the glorified bog roll.