Billy McNeill

OceanRain

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Used to see him out and about a lot at the local shop for his paper etc, last time must have been the summer and I thought he was frail. Horrible disease.  

I wonder if this has anything to do with the heading heavy leather balls thing that is being connected with brain damage in older sportsmen?

I think so. 3 members of the 1966 England squad are suffering with it. The balls back then were like medicine balls.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Used to see him out and about a lot at the local shop for his paper etc, last time must have been the summer and I thought he was frail. Horrible disease.  

I wonder if this has anything to do with the heading heavy leather balls thing that is being connected with brain damage in older sportsmen?

thats what i was thinking. There seem to be a lot of anecdotal evidence certainly. i watch the will smith film the other week "Concussion" around much the same topic

56 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Mines is taken from a personal point when i heard him refer to people he didn't even know as orange bastards, 

I read your post Jim . Not having a go,  but I know you are better than this mate .

It is dementia . Could happen to any of us one day . Probably many of us on here .

Think the big man was passionate for them . I honestly don't think Billy had any hate in him .

Either way .Think of what that does to families bud .

4 hours ago, Boaby Bear said:

Watched my granda waste away with dementia I honestly believe the only real remedy for it at the moment is euthanasia. Harsh I know but in the days before he died it was fucking horrible. 

Best to go whilst you can still remember and recognise all those that hold you dear.

Can't agree with you mate re euthanasia although I get where you are coming from, my da had Alzheimer's just before he passed away but fortunately he only suffered for 2-3 years, unfortunately for me I lived here in Canada so I wasn't around to witness the gradual decline but was constantly in touch with my family, bit long winded but I feel that this disease is more hurtful for the loved ones than the actual sufferers as they are the ones left with the shell of the person they had loved dearly.

My thoughts are with his family.

Having spent time with him on the golf course, I'd be surprised if he said or done some of what's being said. He was always a gentleman off the field and a competitor on it. It's really sad to hear that he has been afflicted by this terrible condition.

6 hours ago, jcb said:

It was obvious when he was involved in making the Champions league draw that he was suffering from dementia.

Why anyone from Celtic let him go on stage whilst knowing how much he was struggling is beyond me.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

It's not the thread for it, and for the record I wish him well, but we both know why he was forced to go out there. They wanted the sympathy that would flow from it. They've done it with other ill players and even had a very ill Fernando Ricksen attend one of their European games last year.

Personally I find the whole ambulance chasing to be very distasteful.

28 minutes ago, Danny Morrison said:

It's not the thread for it, and for the record I wish him well, but we both know why he was forced to go out there. They wanted the sympathy that would flow from it. They've done it with other ill players and even had a very ill Fernando Ricksen attend one of their European games last year.

Personally I find the whole ambulance chasing to be very distasteful.

I agree that this discussion is for another time so won't add to it.

Never met BMN in person but wish him well in his battle with this terrible illness.

4 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

i watched him thro.his career and had not a good word for him,but he is not a footballer and thats past ,wish him all the best ,and good luck ..caeser.,

Caesar? Too far. I'm expecting half the people on here to change their avatar to him lifting the European cup the way people are going on about him 

John Grieg and McNeil played for the old firm when they had respect for each other but still tried their best to win.

the fans have always hated each other which I think was healthy.

Lawwell built up the hatred between the clubs for his own agenda and timed it well to work in their favour.

They pushed the EBT thing when they realised we used it and they didn't .Lord Reid disappeared just after it blew up.

whatever happened to lord Reid?

10 hours ago, tam57 said:

John Grieg and McNeil played for the old firm when they had respect for each other but still tried their best to win.

the fans have always hated each other which I think was healthy.

Lawwell built up the hatred between the clubs for his own agenda and timed it well to work in their favour.

They pushed the EBT thing when they realised we used it and they didn't .Lord Reid disappeared just after it blew up.

whatever happened to lord Reid?

Good post

The word missing describing Liewell . Corruption

Not a bad word to say about Billy McNeill. One of the very few Celtic men who have dignity and respect. 

I always think of him during that CL draw and you could tell he was unwell. 

Wish him all the best but there's no coming back from dementia unfortunately