The time its taking to get a manager in

Smile

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Smile said:

To me it just seems more likely we are now looking for a Permanent Manager given that there are plenty out of work Managers we could get now.

Yep - board acted in haste and without a plan but they are not so incompetent as to not understand how important this time   They get it right and get someone the fans will get behind - I'd rather they took time and got a permanent person in and get it right. 

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Yep - board acted in haste and without a plan but they are not so incompetent as to not understand how important this time   They get it right and get someone the fans will get behind - I'd rather they took time and got a permanent person in and get it right. 

Absolutely. The time taken so far is nothing really when you take into account the importance of getting this right.

I don't know if you agree but I've said before I think this is possibly our most important appointment ever. It's essential we get it right this time as we've had to rebuild either on or off the park or both since Walter Smith left in 2011. It really has to stop and we build properly with the right appointment now. 

27 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Absolutely. The time taken so far is nothing really when you take into account the importance of getting this right.

I don't know if you agree but I've said before I think this is possibly our most important appointment ever. It's essential we get it right this time as we've had to rebuild either on or off the park or both since Walter Smith left in 2011. It really has to stop and we build properly with the right appointment now. 

I agree. It's akin to making the right choice like SDM did in 06. However this is real make or break imo. 

I'm hoping for De Boer but even if he had decent sums to spend I'm realistic enough to know that FDB Is a huge risk. Then you've got guys like pardew. He seems to be a bit of a big eck type. Come in does well.then it falls away. 

I genuinely don't know who is best for us at the moment. So I understand the pressure the board must be feeling with this. They know it's got to be the right man. They can't rush into it and I can't believe I'm going to say this as I can't handle murty in charge but it's not about this March or April this is about the next two or three seasons.

This is a huge call and if it means April or may or June then so be it. Just get it right 

48 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I thought when Warbutkrton came in we were building long term - I think it's the only way to go - but he cracked under the pressure - it happens and no matter who we appoint we won't know if they can handle the pressure until they are here  ( I am going to assume that whomever we appoint will have the decent levels of competency in management ) 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I thought when Warbutkrton came in we were building long term - I think it's the only way to go - but he cracked under the pressure - it happens and no matter who we appoint we won't know if they can handle the pressure until they are here  ( I am going to assume that whomever we appoint will have the decent levels of competency in management ) 

Depends on your definition of building too.

I agree he cracked - he totally lost the plot and just started making no sense at all and had to go but if we are building we've got to see obvious signs of progress. The progress was there until 3/4's of the way into last season but you need to take into account the level of opposition etc.

I'm not against building and being a bit patient but we need to see results too and can't expect the fans to have blind faith it will all be good. This has to be a good appointment for us. We can't be failed this time. We are already on the brink of losing a generation of fans - there's still time to stop the rot and reverse this provided this is a good appointment.  

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Depends on your definition of building too.

I agree he cracked - he totally lost the plot and just started making no sense at all and had to go but if we are building we've got to see obvious signs of progress. The progress was there until 3/4's of the way into last season but you need to take into account the level of opposition etc.

I'm not against building and being a bit patient but we need to see results too and can't expect the fans to have blind faith it will all be good. This has to be a good appointment for us. We can't be failed this time. We are already on the brink of losing a generation of fans - there's still time to stop the rot and reverse this provided this is a good appointment.  

I said before MW was appointed ALL a Rangers manager has to do is win! But it is how we (they) react to draws and defeats that make ( or break) a manager. When Walter hit bad patches ( which he did ) he found a way to turn it round - that's what made him. Management is easy when we are winning but real management is handling the pressure of a defeat or two and getting back to winning. 

1 hour ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

The board have made it clear that a Director of Football is the route they're taking, so it's essential that they're in place before a a manger.

The most suitable DOFs are currently in employment, hence the extended timescales.

So the contingency plan is to appoint a youth coach to get us raped week in week out? Great piece of planning. No wonder we are shambles both on and off the park.

10 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

So the contingency plan is to appoint a youth coach to get us raped week in week out? Great piece of planning. No wonder we are shambles both on and off the park.

Yeah mate . I'm sure quite a few so called bears will be just as patient, if we take a tanking against the scum eh...

Just now, eejay the dj said:

Yeah mate . I'm sure quite a few so called bears will be just as patient, if we take a tanking against the scum eh...

I doubt any of these people who are saying "take time it's fine" will be saying the same thing if it's a double digit doing at the piggery 

Take time to appoint someone long term.... fine. But at least get someone in short term for the interim until the end of the season. With murty in charge we are at risk of sliding further down the league. Unacceptable 

There is a lot of things we need to get right, and one to progress will be a good scoring system that looks further than the UK, even the EU as we are now priced out of these leagues. 

One good thing Warburton had was a good way of getting some decent loan signings, and I expect 2 loan signings to be part of out starting 11 for the foreseeable future.

Just now, KWBear said:

I doubt any of these people who are saying "take time it's fine" will be saying the same thing if it's a double digit doing at the piggery 

Take time to appoint someone long term.... fine. But at least get someone in short term for the interim until the end of the season. With murty in charge we are at risk of sliding further down the league. Unacceptable 

We are not at risk mate . It will happen . Guaranteed we will slide down . The players simply don't want to know

it's frustrating but i'd rather they take their time to make sure they get the right guy in than stick some diddy cunt in and find ourselves back in the same situation in a season or two. 

at least i'd like to think that's what we're doing and that the board aren't running about with their heads up their arses (most likely).

The board hoped Murty would do a decent enough job to see us until the end of the season. That way they could concentrate on getting a DoF and new manager for next season in the background.

However, Murty isn't up to it clearly (not a dig at him its not his fault) so now they've been put in a position where they need someone in straight away even just to see out this season. They made a mistake not doing this within days of Warburton leaving.

I don't believe that taking whatever extended time is needed to announce the appointment of a DOF and Head Coach axiomatically leads to a result that the right persons have been selected.  There is no co-relation between the time it takes and a guarantee (or even strong certainty) that whoever is appointed will turn out to be appointments that can be judged as having made the right decisions.  

Taking what is now beginning to look like extended time can also soon turn into the appearance of systemic heel dragging.  

Heel dragging because, perhaps, the first choice candidates ask for more than King and the Board are prepared to offer (not just salaries for a rescue/ recovery act) but also assurances on transfer budgets?   In which case lots of negotiation and seeking of compromises, or dropping down the pecking order of candidates to find a couple who are affordable and 'sellable' to the Support.

Heel dragging because Robertson, Dickson and the Board are just not capable of going any faster anyway?   Could be because its not that much out of the ordinary for appointments at big clubs, or because the DOF / Head Coach model is brand new to Rangers so discussions with candidates take longer while all parties work out how it is to work and get comfortable with it.

Heel dragging because its tactically convenient to delay appointments until it becomes opportune to be able to write this season off as a shambles and try to leave the blame at Warburton's feet?  Thus leaving a new DOF and Head Coach with enough games - including a home OF game - to use as test-bed territory for deciding on the players who will stay and to start getting them used to the new order of management - all with the pressure of league and cup performances neatly removed and written off as all the fault of Warburton?

The more immediate reason for Robertson, Dickson, King and the Board to 'get it right' is arguably less to do with the work the DOF and Head Coach will need to do - and be seen to have done - in building a proper title-challenging side.   It may be as much a case of 'getting it right' in terms of convincing enough ST holders to renew for next season on the back of what is turning out to be an utterly shambolic season.   The 2 appointments are a bet on the future success of the Club.   But like any persons appointed they could leave before the job is finished (or be sacked) - just look at the case of Warburton, Weir and McP. They will also be a bet on the preparedness of ST holders to renew in anything like the same numbers as this season and that factor - short term though it is - may feature quite high in deciding who to appoint..  The names, their track record,  perceived quality of the persons appointed are, I think, likely to be very important.     

I hope we don't end up with a broad consensus response from the Support, shareholders and even the media along the lines of 'you took all this time and these are the best selections you could make!'    That may be inevitable from some quarters but if it were to be a generally accepted perception then I think the heat on the Board would turn up quite a few notches.   No pressure then on Robertson and Dickson to 'get it right'.

53 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

The board hoped Murty would do a decent enough job to see us until the end of the season. That way they could concentrate on getting a DoF and new manager for next season in the background.

However, Murty isn't up to it clearly (not a dig at him its not his fault) so now they've been put in a position where they need someone in straight away even just to see out this season. They made a mistake not doing this within days of Warburton leaving.

Aye, they should have gone into "Managers 'R' Us" and picked one off the shelf.

1 hour ago, coopsleftboot said:

Aye, they should have gone into "Managers 'R' Us" and picked one off the shelf.

I seen a thing on the Record webpage a few days ago saying Blackburn got rid of Coyle 24h they have Mowbray that's how it's done Rangers (instead of taking a while)

i couldn't believe that - if we wanted a Mowbray we could appoint him in an hour 

you know I hate this board but they're entirely right to take their time in an attempt to get it right 

the ones moaning about the time took will be the first to moan about a shite appointment and their results 

2 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Sure the rumour was they did.  But he was wanting assurances longer term.

If that was the case then I'd be quite surprised considering he said he'd find it hard to say no if they did call. He's hardly ever linked with any jobs so could of seen it as an opportunity to put himself in the shop window for another job if he wasn't coming to us long term.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I seen a thing on the Record webpage a few days ago saying Blackburn got rid of Coyle 24h they have Mowbray that's how it's done Rangers (instead of taking a while)

i couldn't believe that - if we wanted a Mowbray we could appoint him in an hour 

you know I hate this board but they're entirely right to take their time in an attempt to get it right 

the ones moaning about the time took will be the first to moan about a shite appointment and their results 

That's fine saying that if the guy they're brining in is the man they want long term, I've absolutely no issue with them taking their time over that. However, if at this stage they bring in an interim manager until the end of the season then they've made a mistake IMO. That could of been done 2 weeks ago.  

7 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

That's fine saying that if the guy they're brining in is the man they want long term, I've absolutely no issue with them taking their time over that. However, if at this stage they bring in an interim manager until the end of the season then they've made a mistake IMO. That could of been done 2 weeks ago.  

This is how I think it should have been done. If Eck did not take it because he wanted a position that they could not guarantee then other options should gave been perused. 

Then all the time needed could have been taken to get the full time positions sorted. Simples. 

12 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Only if the manager was looking for short term employment...a bit tricky when you're trying to employ someone who's out of work.

5 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Gotta admire the sheer chutzpah of your hyperbole BA. It's all nonsense but fantastic stuff.