Football buzzwords

It seems to have become a part of modern football now - trendy words and phrases that pundits and Twitter supporters like to use constantly for a short period of time then they disappear.

I remember "diag" ( :megaanguish:) was used for a while, meaning to switch the ball to the opposite wing.

Can you think of any others, be them annoying or ones you quite liked?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Not Buzzwords as such but sayings that annoy the fuck out of me

Must win game....like there is a must not win game...pricks

He’s got two good feet - I should hope so since he trains every single day and it's his full time job 

This games a 5/6 pointer

No, no it isn't

BT pundits going on about "The Press" as in a team closing the ball down, they make it out like it's a big mechanical extraordinary thing called "The Press" - It's just a bunch of players closing the fucking baw down, stop over-complicating things

Slightly different but I can't stand when pundits refer to players by their first names or nicknames.  I heard Ian Wright calling Oxlade-Chamberlain "The Ox" last night :wanker: Cringey as fuck.

Also the amount of pundits that call Ibrahimovic by his first name does my fucking box in.

27 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Slightly different but I can't stand when pundits refer to players by their first names or nicknames.  I heard Ian Wright calling Oxlade-Chamberlain "The Ox" last night :wanker: Cringey as fuck.

Also the amount of pundits that call Ibrahimovic by his first name does my fucking box in.

Unreal how that wank Wright continues to get employment from TV companies. You see him on MOTD every now and again as well. Plus he does the England games on ITV sometimes :lol:

I'll never forget him when Northern Ireland beat England, was beautiful to watch, pretty sure he had a go at Alan Hansen for being Scottish and saying he shouldn't be allowed to comment on England :lol:

5 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Unreal how that wank Wright continues to get employment from TV companies. You see him on MOTD every now and again as well. Plus he does the England games on ITV sometimes :lol:

I'll never forget him when Northern Ireland beat England, was beautiful to watch, pretty sure he had a go at Alan Hansen for being Scottish and saying he shouldn't be allowed to comment on England :lol:

Aye I remember him losing the plot after NI beat England :lol: Superb.

He's a nut job.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

its not a dangerous as 1-0 i'll bet.

1 minute ago, Cobham said:

Twice as dangerous as 1-0!

I think it means the players can become more complacent at 2-0 than at perhaps 1-0 but yeah, I fundamentally agree with your point.

"2–0 lead is the worst lead" is a cliché[1] used to describe a situation in a sport game,[2][3] most notably football,[4] when one of the teams is leading the game 2–0, most commonly at half-time. This result brings feelings of complacency[5] and false security of the lead to the leading team.[6] If the losing team then scores a goal, the leading team panics, resulting in a draw or even a win for the team which had been losing.

Situations where the leading team at half-time loses the football game[7] only happen in about 2% of cases.[8] The statistics in ice-hockey also show that if a team builds a two-goal advantage, they will maintain that lead in the majority of instances.[9] The cliché is often used ironically.[10][11]

The cliché was popularized by Czech football coach and television commentator Josef Csaplár in the Czech football community. His overuse of the term has created the impression that a 2–0 half-time lead can only end in a defeat and the cliché is well-known in the Czech Republic as Csaplár's trap (Czech: Csaplárova past). The term is popular with fans[12] and journalists.[13] The cliché was also popularly used by Australian former player and TV broadcaster Johnny Warren.[14]

The cliché is used by coaches as an example to players to not become complacent after attaining a lead.[15]

In 2016 the cliché became noticed by television pundit and former English footballer Gary Lineker. He responded with a tweet on a turnaround in a Premier League match between Bournemouth and Liverpool when Liverpool led by 2–0 at half-time only to lose 4–3.[16]

my old teams club motto was " invade the space". I think we cottoned onto it when somebody in our team actually shouted it in a match to a team mate. We found it so funny we adopted it as the club motto.

When we were coasting games somebody would always shout "invade the space!" to a team mate and we would then all proceed to pish ourselves laughing for the remainder of the game and shout it out randomly at team mates.

Looking back i think we needed to get out more.

Not so much a specific word or phrase but the same generic rhetoric clichés referring to certain players like anytime Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez etc misplace a pass, miss the target etc the sheer astonishment in their language/phrasing/tone as if it never happens. It happens all the time even though they are great players. 

4 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Not so much a specific word or phrase but the same generic rhetoric clichés referring to certain players like anytime Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez etc misplace a pass, miss the target etc the sheer astonishment in their language/phrasing/tone as if it never happens. It happens all the time even though they are great players. 

aye its like this "9 times out of 10 he would have scored that". No he wouldnt. Nobody scores 9 times out of 10.

They used to say it all the time about Boyd when we were in the championship and he couldnt hit a coo in the arse at that time.