Have UEFA helped to destroy the smaller leagues?

We all know that broadcasters like Sky have played a large part in their demise by lining the likes of the EPL's pockets with gold and distorting the market but I think UEFA turning 3 very competitive and lucrative cup competitions basically into 1 has really went a long way to ending the vitality of the likes of the Scottish league. Now only one team in our league can make any real money and if it's the same one every year they will become detached at the top ending the league as a viable competition

Yes, this is a huge issue. They've made leagues less rather than more competitive and encouraged elitism. There were always bigger clubs, but the balance had been heavily weighted in their favour on top of that now, especially those from the more populous countries. But yeah, it's also doubly bad in the smaller leagues, because it encourages a one-horse race, because they only have one CL space, as opposed to having 3 or 4 spaces where the cash is more likely to be spread about in a league a little bit more.

All seems to me geared towards an eventual Superleague involving a manufactured elite group of clubs, where everyone else fights over the regional scraps. Money from the broadcasters, encouraged by the game's administrators, is basically destroying football as we knew it. But then, in our capitalist world, what do you expect? It basically reflects that world.

The big clubs such as real Barca Bayern and Man Utd have just about kicked the backside out of Champs league in Europe. Next step is China Japan USA teams to get involved. Maybe even Middle East. Teams from Scotland Holland Belgium etc won't get a sniff. 

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Yes, this is a huge issue. They've made leagues less rather than more competitive and encouraged elitism. There were always bigger clubs, but the balance had been heavily weighted in their favour on top of that now, especially those from the more populous countries. But yeah, it's also doubly bad in the smaller leagues, because it encourages a one-horse race, because they only have one CL space, as opposed to having 3 or 4 spaces where the cash is more likely to be spread about in a league a little bit more.

All seems to me geared towards an eventual Superleague involving a manufactured elite group of clubs, where everyone else fights over the regional scraps. Money from the broadcasters, encouraged by the game's administrators, is basically destroying football as we knew it. But then, in our capitalist world, what do you expect? It basically reflects that world.

I agree with this. Taking away valuable spots in Europe from the smaller leagues has caused for just one or two teams to win the league easily every season in these leagues and the gap widens. The same with the actual CL. It is getting such a boring competition now you can pretty easily predict the last 8 teams in it every season and you look at the aggregate results from yesterday for example Bayern winning 10-2 and Real winning 6-2 the gap is embarrassing. I think this superleague idea will happen sooner than later because the CL is getting very predictable. The Europa League you at least have different teams in the final most seasons and is hard to predict who will be the last 8 teams. 

On 3/9/2017 at 3:14 PM, Thermopylae said:

I think the writing was on the wall when UEFA retired a cup in which we beat a team who were the backbone of the German international side who won the Euro's in 72 and the World Cup in 74 thinking it was somehow surplus to requirements 

The number of people who don't know what the Cup Winners Cup was is ridiculous. UEFA should restore it.