WilliamFyfe

Billy Gilmour

147 posts in this topic

Hopefully he stays, he'd be best learning his trade here or going out on loan once he's 16-17

IMG_5012.PNG

I`m hopeful he`ll stay, would like to think Murty has told Caixinha just how important it is to keep him. I`ve noticed Gilmour seems to be enjoying his time here going by twitter and tbh the smart decision would be to stay.

Islam Feruz is probably the best example of how quickly it can all go wrong. Appeared to have all the potential in the world, being touted as this and that, and now look at him.

Failed in Greece, England, Scotland and Belgium, for a striker he still hasn't actually managed to score a professional goal yet. His contract runs out in a couple of months and I'd be amazed if it was renewed. Jumped ship at the sight of money (2.5k a week apparently) at a young age and proceeded to flop.

If Gilmour is good enough, he'll still make it to the top eventually despite staying here. I actually think a lot of young players don't believe in their own ability enough to bide their time and knuckle down to hard work.

2 people like this

Would be a real shame if we were to lose him, but unfortunately for us, a team like Chelsea pay their youngsters more than we pay our first teamers. Football is fucked.

1 person likes this

We can't possibly imagine what will be going through Gilmour's head at the moment.

For the past twelve months, he's had the media on toast with his performances. He's head-and-shoulders above anything we have at that level, I'm lead to believe and when you're that good, the belief comes with it. He'll be driven and motivated beyond belief, so he'll see Chelsea as a challenge; one much, much bigger than Rangers.

Tell him to look at Islam Feruz and he'll probably claim that he's better.

1 hour ago, LeeWallaceRFC said:

Islam Feruz is probably the best example of how quickly it can all go wrong. Appeared to have all the potential in the world, being touted as this and that, and now look at him.

Failed in Greece, England, Scotland and Belgium, for a striker he still hasn't actually managed to score a professional goal yet. His contract runs out in a couple of months and I'd be amazed if it was renewed. Jumped ship at the sight of money (2.5k a week apparently) at a young age and proceeded to flop.

If Gilmour is good enough, he'll still make it to the top eventually despite staying here. I actually think a lot of young players don't believe in their own ability enough to bide their time and knuckle down to hard work.

£2,500 and the rest, mate. As has been well documented by ex-Chelsea youth players, such as McEachran and Woods, go to a Chelsea under-19s match and you'll see boys never heard of before, boys who haven't played a single minute of first team football, but who are taking home £15,000 per-week.

Chelsea had to chase Feruz and put up a fight for him, so he'll certainly be on more than £2,500 per-week.

They can get to fuck.

Honestly, what is the point in clubs having a youth system if this shit is going to happen? What other way do we have to sustain ourselves to a decent level than to produce, play for a few years and sell on at a good price? If we can't even do that because these TV clubs pinch any decent talent before they have a sniff of first-team action, then it pushes us and clubs like us further towards obscurity. It takes away the drip down of cash that we should be trying to rely on to compete. 

2 people like this

The lad would be throwing away his career going there, he is only a number to Chelsea they use youth development purely as a way of making money to keep them on the right side of FFP.

End of the day he can go there earn a fortune and go play on loan somewhere.

Money is king in football. 

In fairness I'd pick going to Chelsea and getting loaned to a side like Vitesse than staying here and getting loan to Raith Rovers.

I don't think he'll leave though and if he doesn't he shouldn't be loaned out.

1 person likes this

I think if he stays next season he'll get start to get integrated into the squad, if he is as good as people say at least.

By all accounts he is a top player in the making, a bad career move but a fantastic financial move would be to go to Chelsea, it all depends how money orientated his family are, they may well be sensible grounded home loving individuals and will realise that he will have a decent chance of becoming a first team player at Ibrox,.

John Terry was the last Chelsea youngster to make the breakthrough and stay in the team(and they poached him from West Ham) god knows how many youngsters "wonderkids"Chelsea have had on their books since then 1000's I would think. its long odds.

16 hours ago, Inigo said:

They can get to fuck.

Honestly, what is the point in clubs having a youth system if this shit is going to happen? What other way do we have to sustain ourselves to a decent level than to produce, play for a few years and sell on at a good price? If we can't even do that because these TV clubs pinch any decent talent before they have a sniff of first-team action, then it pushes us and clubs like us further towards obscurity. It takes away the drip down of cash that we should be trying to rely on to compete. 

Totally agree, it does raise the question of what's the point?

Develop your own youngsters but not to the point of being excellent. 

4 hours ago, markem said:

Totally agree, it does raise the question of what's the point?

Develop your own youngsters but not to the point of being excellent. 

Well....someone has to develop them. 

Obviously want him to stay but if he goes don't think anyone could blame him.

Money talks.

20 hours ago, RDFM said:

In fairness I'd pick going to Chelsea and getting loaned to a side like Vitesse than staying here and getting loan to Raith Rovers.

I don't think he'll leave though and if he doesn't he shouldn't be loaned out.

I'd hate to be shipped out to Holland myself. Fuck that.

I'd rather stay at the team I love with my home comforts surrounding me

22 hours ago, Inigo said:

They can get to fuck.

As much as it's frustrating, we can and most probably do the exact same with other teams.

1 minute ago, Cobham said:

As much as it's frustrating, we can and most probably do the exact same with other teams.

Sure, but that's not the point. The system is what's wrong, not the clubs taking advantage of it. There needs to be put in place some way of stopping this from happening, or at least ensuring that if the boy goes on to have as good a career as it looks like he will, that Rangers are properly recognised for developing that. So that if Chelsea end up selling him for £50 million or he ends up playing 150 games for them, Rangers efforts in developing that are compensated at a decent rate. And by decent, I mean multi-millions.

The game's governing bodies need to make sure that the efforts of clubs further down the food chain to develop players for the benefit of the game are properly appreciated. I don't expect that they will, though. I expect that this will be just another symptom of the elitism that's being encouraged in the game.

Looks like a wee boy would be better biding his time.

Hope he stays and would expect some first team appearances next season . Unfortunately the money down South is huge so it just depends on the advice he is being given by his family. It's a young age to go down south, but whatever happens I wish the boy luck 

Anyone got any idea of what sort of fee we'd be likely to get for him this Summer? Would it be a similar situation to Crooks/Windass where there wasn't much of a development fee?

Much might depend on the impression he gets from the new gaffer.

In all honesty, if I was considered that good I wouldn't even consider going to Chelsea. It's where promising young careers go to die.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, West_Side said:

Anyone got any idea of what sort of fee we'd be likely to get for him this Summer? Would it be a similar situation to Crooks/Windass where there wasn't much of a development fee?

That's a good question, I think it depends how well we've got a contract with him tied up. 

System should force him to sign 1st contract with development club.