WilliamFyfe

Billy Gilmour

MasterD    3,869
49 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Rangers youth set up and situation has changed since Hutton came through. You obviously didn't think that through to any extent did you? 

I didn't need to. I just followed your stupid line of thinking.

Goianegra    796
2 hours ago, Vanoli said:

500k is not a good deal, it's absolute pennies and we don't have the scouting structure (which funnily enough hasn't been mentioned by King in well over a year) in place to go and find the hidden gems of the world that you can buy for 500k. 500k in our world gets us one or two second rate pish British players. 

At the end of the day though, given that he probably isn't even on a professional contract yet i don't think we are even in a position to play hardball anyway. If true, this is a real shame but also a harsh reminder of where we are and where football is moving. There's less and less room in football now for giant clubs outwith the conglomerate leagues. 

It is a bit shit imo. That's absolute nothing to Chelsea and they'll look to sell him on for 10-20x that in the future, probably without playing a single game for them and we'll get a tiny bit of the selling on fee. These big clubs "buy potential" all the time, and usually for a hell of a lot more than half a million. Didn't Spurs bid about 10Mil for Dembele after a handful of games for Fulham and 0 goals?

I'm not gonna lose sleep over this, but I'm not gonna make out I'm delighted of getting shot of our brightest prospect in years for the same fee as Michael O'Halloran.

RFC Eagle    3,414
3 minutes ago, MasterD said:

I didn't need to. I just followed your stupid line of thinking.

Chelsea have the same set up now as they had with McEachran, there are many many more over the same period dotted about London who went through the same conveyor belt only for Chelsea to buy Costa, Luiz (again) etc etc.

There are many other English clubs where he would have a better chance of a career if things didn't work out initially. Chelsea have a particularly poor track record over the years. 

Maybe you need to have a clue about youth football in England before you make statements you can't back up without resorting to childish insults.

The Godfather    26,835

£500k pennies for an untested 15 year old who hasn't played first team football :lol: 

Aye very good. 

RFC Eagle    3,414
6 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

£500k pennies for an untested 15 year old who hasn't played first team football :lol: 

Aye very good. 

Have you forgotten the Dembele conversion factor? We must always add a couple of 0s to any valuation for it to be acceptable in Scotland these days.

Inigo    11,619

I'd much rather see us get the chance to play youngsters with huge potential for a few years then sell them on than get 500k at the age of 15 or 16. Being happy with a situation where we get 500k just strikes as a lack of ambition to me. The way football is, it's pretty much inevitable that this kind of shit happens, right enough. Doesn't mean we should be happy about it.

I'm beginning to think football needs some kind of rule change to make sure teams lower down the food chain are compensated better should talents go on and become top stars after being snatched by richer clubs, the less wealthy club having put significant effort into their development.

Creampuff    8,061

I don't really get this "no immidiately playing for the first team means it's a bad idea" thing.

Odegaard was mentioned in this thread. I'm sure he's learning nothing training at Real every day. Nothing to be picked up at that training ground, for sure...

Bellshill_Bear    687
4 hours ago, The Godfather said:

How do you know that? 

Fleck stuck around for a bit and done fuck all despite the hype so it's hardly a sure thing. 

This boy can move to Chelsea, earn a fortune plus play at a higher level out on loan at a better standard of football. 

The only folk who see this as a bad move are of course us because we want to keep out talents but it's daft to expect a promising player rejecting lucrative deals from the biggest clubs in the world to play in this shit hole of a league. 

Nobody knows either way. It's a risk, but if you look at the number of youth that make it in comparison to the amount that don't the odds are stacked against him.they bough lukaku and he never made it, what chance does Billy have 

Creampuff    8,061
6 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

Nobody knows either way. It's a risk, but if you look at the number of youth that make it in comparison to the amount that don't the odds are stacked against him.they bough lukaku and he never made it, what chance does Billy have 

Lukaku plays in the Premiership every week and is being linked to the biggest clubs in the world.

That move to Chelsea didn't exactly ruin him, did it?

West_Side    1,520

Can't say I blame him for wanting to go. Aye, he'll probably not break into the first team at Chelsea but he'll make a ton more money and end up farmed out on loan to Vitesse Arnhem or the like, which is no bad thing for him. Would still be gutted to see him go though.

People think the decision is in our hands, it isn't. We are hoping/expecting he'll sign his first professional contract with us. 

hammer93    1,310
1 hour ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

People think the decision is in our hands, it isn't. We are hoping/expecting he'll sign his first professional contract with us. 

This.....its totally out of our hands

pcbear    3,539
4 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Lukaku plays in the Premiership every week and is being linked to the biggest clubs in the world.

They paid 10 million for him he only played a handful of games for Chelsea and I don't even think he scored a goal, the situation is nothing like Gilmours.

Creampuff    8,061
1 hour ago, pcbear said:

They paid 10 million for him he only played a handful of games for Chelsea and I don't even think he scored a goal, the situation is nothing like Gilmours.

Tell that to the guy that brought him up.

Anyway, how similar they are isn't the point.

cushynumber    12,914
17 minutes ago, Blackandra said:

Seemingly off for 625k 

that is good business. This boy seemingly has potential - but thats it. If he isnt going to stay we may as well get all we can for him. Cant deny its annoying that as soon as someone comes along who is a cut above the rest, he is bought though. Its disheartening to say the least.

There is simply no getting around the fact that teams can now easily outspend us on the off chance the player they buy makes it to the top. The money they are throwing at players is orders of magnitude more than we have - thats insurmountable

showtime69    425
6 hours ago, Creampuff said:

I don't really get this "no immidiately playing for the first team means it's a bad idea" thing.

Odegaard was mentioned in this thread. I'm sure he's learning nothing training at Real every day. Nothing to be picked up at that training ground, for sure...

he wont be learning much at Madrid training to be fair because hes on loan at Heerenveen in Holland

Creampuff    8,061
8 minutes ago, showtime69 said:

he wont be learning much at Madrid training to be fair because hes on loan at Heerenveen in Holland

Right, ye know what I mean :lol: 

Thewhitesettler    2,231

Can we not get a % of any transfer money, if the boy is sold for £20 million somewhere down the road?

Even 10% would net us £2 million, which appears to be a lot of money to us these days.😕

Gaffbear    1,161

We must negotiate at 20% sell on....sure Dundee hibs done that wi Robertson and Armstrong..it's a must with the mental prices daan saff

Laudrup1984    6,187
1 hour ago, Gaffbear said:

We must negotiate at 20% sell on....sure Dundee hibs done that wi Robertson and Armstrong..it's a must with the mental prices daan saff

I don't think we can unfortunately although I'm happy to be corrected. My understanding is that come the summer he is out of contract with us entirely and as such we have no power to insert any such clause. All we will receive is a form of compensation I think as his next contract will be his first professional contract. 

theweebluenose    1,617
20 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Hardly comparable, Lukaku played for two seasons for the Anderlecht first team before moving to Chelsea. 

the drummer    155

probably end up at Morton in about 5 years from now dreams all fucked up .

Creampuff    8,061
40 minutes ago, theweebluenose said:

Hardly comparable, Lukaku played for two seasons for the Anderlecht first team before moving to Chelsea. 

Here. I didn't bring Lukaku into this discussion.