From 2002-2006

Muscat Thompson Bonnissel Eggen

Capucho Khizanishvilli Vanoli Berg Emerson Ostenstad Namouchi Kalenga Rae Fetai

Mladenovic Carcary Djordjic Santala 

Murray Fanfan Nieto N'Guessan Maniero Bernard Jeffers Ashikodi

Rotten :lol: 

Wow. Just no

3 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

That's nothing to do with behind the scenes, our scouting network is non existent and we have no plan for the future with a DoF it would be his job to build a scouting network which would solve a lot of our problems. 

I think we need someone who has good scouting experience with a decent track record of signings, I wonder if John Park would be interested in a DoF role.

Tell us John do you want the job

Apparently he was at an awards ceremony recently and was overheard saying he had been offered to manage us but only until the end of the season so he turned it down and when asked what he thought of the Caixinha appointment he said it's only going to end in tears.

I'd be very surprised if we were to bring him in as a DoF.

21 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Apparently he was at an awards ceremony recently and was overheard saying he had been offered to manage us but only until the end of the season so he turned it down and when asked what he thought of the Caixinha appointment he said it's only going to end in tears.

I'd be very surprised if we were to bring him in as a DoF.

With you on that one. Fuck him.

5 hours ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Aye cos he missed out on the managers job no one else will touch him so all of a sudden he's a director of football??

Made me laugh too. What other field can you just talk rubbish like that and think it would lead to employment? Completely laughable and makes you wonder just how easy some have had it in football and especially at Rangers during the Murray years. Hopefully that nonsense is finished for good.

7 hours ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Aye cos he missed out on the managers job no one else will touch him so all of a sudden he's a director of football??

Give it a rest Alex please.

If someone was to ask him he would probably say that he thinks he could handle two jobs and be a player/ director of football.

8 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

From 2002-2006

That is fucking scary when listed like that!!

Not many legends there!!

To me a DOF should be a director who advises the board on all football matters and deals with the manager. Not a guy that recruits players then expects a manager to perform. You need a DOF , Manager and Chief Scout who work hand in hand on a daily basis. DOF could pick a manager but never players for that manager. Mcleish could fill that type of role. I would look for Park to be the Chief Scout. Decent salaries and performance bonuses all round on football matters. Roberston runs the business and gets bonuses on business matters not football ones.

8 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

That's nothing to do with behind the scenes, our scouting network is non existent and we have no plan for the future with a DoF it would be his job to build a scouting network which would solve a lot of our problems. 

I think we need someone who has good scouting experience with a decent track record of signings, I wonder if John Park would be interested in a DoF role.

So it's nothing to do with him having a scouting pedigree, but you are expecting someone without a scouting pedigree to assemble a successful scouting network?

If he's not competent at scouting/knowing players what makes you think he'd be successful at setting up the department? I'm a bit confused as to your point?

Why do we need to pay someone 300k a year, to then appoint another guy on possibly similar as a head-scout, then other scouts?

I agree we need a good quality scouting department but why's it upto a DOF to set it up? it's an expense for nothing. What's wrong with letting the manager pick guys who's judgement/s he trusts? what if whoever we appoint the new manager doesn't rate or thinks is recommendations are pish? another million pound pay-off? 

Conquering Scottish football is a straight forward task. There's no need to over complicate it. 

McLeish is becoming a legend, the longer he is out of a job, his record gets embellished with every passing day.  If we really need to go down the DoF I would much prefer someone with a knowledge of the game and contacts across Europe, he for me doesn't fit that criteria.   

If we're still looking for a DoF I hope we consider that guy Park who use to be at the Tims.  He had a good record for bringing players in from abroad.  If he could do a similar job for us surely that would only benefit the new manager.  Taking pressure of his day to day running of the club and  having a big say in terms of recruitment.

9 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

From 2002-2006

I appreciate that McLeish signed some howlers but look at the Le Guen list.

Karl Svensson

Makhtar N'Diaye

William Stanger

Ponroy

Lionel Letizi

Jeremy Clement

Libor Sionko

Sasa Papac

Filip Sebo

Dean Furman

4 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I appreciate that McLeish signed some howlers but look at the Le Guen list.

Karl Svensson

Makhtar N'Diaye

William Stanger

Ponroy

Lionel Letizi

Jeremy Clement

Libor Sionko

Sasa Papac

Filip Sebo

Dean Furman

I know people wank over Papac and he did an OK job once Walter took over but the only one of them signings I thought was a good player was Clement.

Honkin' list. 

During the period when McLeish and MON were the respective managers of the Old Firm clubs Eck won more.  MONs team was perhaps the best I've seen from them during my lifetime so McLeish deserves a lot of credit.  

Guest Lloyd72
6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

So it's nothing to do with him having a scouting pedigree, but you are expecting someone without a scouting pedigree to assemble a successful scouting network?

If he's not competent at scouting/knowing players what makes you think he'd be successful at setting up the department? I'm a bit confused as to your point?

Why do we need to pay someone 300k a year, to then appoint another guy on possibly similar as a head-scout, then other scouts?

I agree we need a good quality scouting department but why's it upto a DOF to set it up? it's an expense for nothing. What's wrong with letting the manager pick guys who's judgement/s he trusts? what if whoever we appoint the new manager doesn't rate or thinks is recommendations are pish? another million pound pay-off? 

Conquering Scottish football is a straight forward task. There's no need to over complicate it. 

No I mean what the players do on the park is not down to the DoF that is down to the manager and this manager has said himself it's normal for him to have a DoF to work under I believe getting someone in with scouting background would be great tbh.

I think we should have had one years ago tbh but we had the wrong people in charge then (not saying these are much better), it helps with continuity of the club, if we had a DoF when Warburton left it wouldn't have taken so long to get a replacement because he would have planned ahead same with when a player leaves he would have a list of replacements ready and since both those things are inevitable in Scottish football it would help us, not to mention he helps instill a philosophy throughout the club from seniors Down through all the youths. I believe it's a good idea but your mind is already made up that it's a waste of money so no point continuing this conversation.

Guest Lloyd72
9 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

If we're still looking for a DoF I hope we consider that guy Park who use to be at the Tims.  He had a good record for bringing players in from abroad.  If he could do a similar job for us surely that would only benefit the new manager.  Taking pressure of his day to day running of the club and  having a big day in terms of recruitment.

When we were first linked with Wilson the same source also said John Park had many admirers in the board room and could be involved in the setup, hopefully we make a move sooner rather than later

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

No I mean what the players do on the park is not down to the DoF that is down to the manager and this manager has said himself it's normal for him to have a DoF to work under I believe getting someone in with scouting background would be great tbh.

I think we should have had one years ago tbh but we had the wrong people in charge then (not saying these are much better), it helps with continuity of the club, if we had a DoF when Warburton left it wouldn't have taken so long to get a replacement because he would have planned ahead same with when a player leaves he would have a list of replacements ready and since both those things are inevitable in Scottish football it would help us, not to mention he helps instill a philosophy throughout the club from seniors Down through all the youths. I believe it's a good idea but your mind is already made up that it's a waste of money so no point continuing this conversation.

Mind that when you go to quote me again on it in future too then. 

My minds open (a bit on it) ... I said in my earlier post that if he has a decent pedigree/track record in scouting/recruitment then fine - other than that I literally don't see what we need one for. 

I think it's an extra expense when the manager could appoint his own scouts for the same cost. One's that he trusts, not that Robertson and his boardroom pals decide on.

Not for one minute do I think that McLeish should get the DoF job but in fairness to him he did sign some decent players as well.

Arteta, Boumsong, Andrews, Prso, Novo, Buffel, Ferguson, Kyrgiakos, Waterreus, Boyd.  I also thought that Thompson, Hemdani and Namouchi all did a reasonable job for us.   

It's all about opinions though.