The potential BT deal - how much we'd get

Gaz52

1 hour ago, Zander1 said:

We need to get into the online streaming market in a bigger way.  That's the future of TV.  Look at Netflix, Amazon Prime, Box-nation, UFC, WWE.  If we can be ahead of the curve o it it could benefit us financially in the long-term.

No way, just read the threads on this site Modbro, Showbox, Kodi etc.. We would just lose money because of online piracy.

11 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

No way, just read the threads on this site Modbro, Showbox, Kodi etc.. We would just lose money because of online piracy.

You might be right, but I think a lot of it would come down to pricing.  For example, Netflix is £6 a month.  For that money it's barely worth your while fannying about with pirate sites for a link that may or may not work.  And as I say, the companies I mentioned seem to be profitable.

Online forums tend to be populated with people who are fairly computer-savvy; it's not necessarily a true reflection of the population at large.  A huge number of people aren't.  I still think there's money to be made in it.  There must be, otherwise the UFC and WEE etc wouldn't be doing it.

But I'm no expert, just an opinion. 

1 hour ago, one55 said:

are you talking about RangersTV? ahead of the curve? lmao. it's 2017 at a time when HTML5 has been around for years and 4K is up and coming and yet we still are using flash player and it's not even in 720p HD. 4K is 4x Full HD (1080p) so yeah we are no where near the likes of Netflix/Amazon when it comes to streaming quality.

That was kind of my point.  We are way point in this regard.  That's we I said 'IF we can get ahead of the curve.'  By that I mean be the first to shun the traditional TV model and offer content exclusively through our own streaming service.  Now would be a good time to try it as the TV money on the table is negligible.  If a streaming service was, for example, £80 per year we'd only need 50,000 subscribers to hit £4m a year, which is almost as must as first place would get in TV money under this proposal.

I suspect it's probably not just as simple as I'm making out, but streaming is definitely the future and it's not really a big part of how football is watched in comparison to other forms of entertainment.  That's what I mean when I say we should get ahead of the curve.

18 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

It's clearly affected him. Starting the thread with apologies then saying feel free to move!

Aye gutted mate. 

I think ironic posts are lost on you

59 minutes ago, Zander1 said:

You might be right, but I think a lot of it would come down to pricing.  For example, Netflix is £6 a month.  For that money it's barely worth your while fannying about with pirate sites for a link that may or may not work.  And as I say, the companies I mentioned seem to be profitable.

Online forums tend to be populated with people who are fairly computer-savvy; it's not necessarily a true reflection of the population at large.  A huge number of people aren't.  I still think there's money to be made in it.  There must be, otherwise the UFC and WEE etc wouldn't be doing it.

But I'm no expert, just an opinion. 

Fair point.

1 hour ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

Potentially 32 million pot and that's before any counter bid from sky

Get bt to fuck, will not listen to that bigot Sutton again or have bt sports until they get rid of him.  He has constantly attacked our club on their channel and no Rangers fan should line his pockets while he is employed by them. It's simple any deal with bt then  we should get a clause stating he does not do any of our games home or away included or we don't agree as Sky will always be there or there about. 

Superb. Hopefully it means a lot of subscribers will either cancel Sky or downgrade and they lose billions.

Just 500,000 people in Scotland would cut sky's income by about £500m.

They seriously undervalue our football in regards to how much money they get from Scottish paying customers

What is this "ahead of the curve" nonsense?

There is no curve.Scottish football is a big straight line from 1970 to now.

It's a pipedream thinking BT are going to ride in and save the day.

It would do even less for them than the champions league deal did.

Their share price tanked after buying the rights. 

Us and the tarriers won't want more home games shown, as it puts off people going.

So you are left with an expectation that BT are going to rally money at it for a few extra games. 

Cant see it....

I also can't see us going alone - It detracts from getting people through the turnstiles.

Unless you could buy a season ticket to watch from your house...