1958/59 season

GOAT

Was just reading something there, the tarriers finished 6th that season and on the last day we lost to the sheep shaggers and hearts would have won the league if they won their last game, they got beat....off the tarriers at the piggery.  Imagine the place that day. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Was just reading something there, the tarriers finished 6th that season and on the last day we lost to the sheep shaggers and hearts would have won the league if they won their last game, they got beat....off the tarriers at the piggery.  Imagine the place that day. :lol: 

The level of hatred towards our club was probably nothing compared to the levels we experience now.

I was reading aswell a few years before that Hibs had the chance to beat us the second last game of the season and win the league, we drew 0-0 and Rangers scored in the last ten minutes of the last game of the season at third Lanark to equalise 1-1 to win the league.  What a night that would have been! 

59 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Yeah I was reading something like this a while back . Not sure if it played out that way Goat . You know what the media are like in this Country .

In those days ,the scum hadn't started on their masterplan and hadn't brainwashed the Scottish people so there probably wasn't as much hate flying around .

Just been looking at our attendances that season.

First game of season against Hearts at Ibrox , a league cup qualifier:                                     63,000

Return at Tynecastle against Hearts two weeks later in league cup:                                       42,000

Scottish Cup game at Ibrox versus Hearts                                                                                53,000

Highest attendance was December at Ibrox a 5-0 victory against you've guessed it, Hearts:  66,000

Attendances v cellic were 55,000 and 50,000. 

In those days Hearts, Hibs, Clyde, Dundee, St Mirren all had their greatest teams ever, pushing us all the way, and cellic really struggled until Stein came along.

A golden age of Scottish football, and in my opinion the Rangers team of the late fifties and early sixties was probably our greatest, 

the game with the sheep was duff and we were sure it was hearts league.i can mind standing at the broomloan stairway and the announcer came on about  5.00  we didnt have a good team that season but the roar was just as loud as ever .the hatered was just as bad ,remember this was only 2 year after 7/1..the team next season had about 6 changes.

1 hour ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

the game with the sheep was duff and we were sure it was hearts league.i can mind standing at the broomloan stairway and the announcer came on about  5.00  we didnt have a good team that season but the roar was just as loud as ever .the hatered was just as bad ,remember this was only 2 year after 7/1..the team next season had about 6 changes.

So in those days Rangers and the scum could both be at home on the same day? Changed days 

6 hours ago, tannerall said:

Just been looking at our attendances that season.

First game of season against Hearts at Ibrox , a league cup qualifier:                                     63,000

Return at Tynecastle against Hearts two weeks later in league cup:                                       42,000

Scottish Cup game at Ibrox versus Hearts                                                                                53,000

Highest attendance was December at Ibrox a 5-0 victory against you've guessed it, Hearts:  66,000

Attendances v cellic were 55,000 and 50,000. 

In those days Hearts, Hibs, Clyde, Dundee, St Mirren all had their greatest teams ever, pushing us all the way, and cellic really struggled until Stein came along.

A golden age of Scottish football, and in my opinion the Rangers team of the late fifties and early sixties was probably our greatest, 

Miller, Brand and Wilson was some front line but i got stories from my granda about the late 1940s team  of jerry dawson and jock shaw. you always wonder how teams would compare over the years 

48 minutes ago, Billy1984 said:

So in those days Rangers and the scum could both be at home on the same day? Changed days 

5 Glasgow teams in the first division then.

Clyde and Third Lanark were top teams in those days too. 

Clyde won the Glasgow cup (full teams played in it then) and even Partick Thistle got to the League cup final that year. 

14 hours ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

This 100%. this generation of Inbreds are more vile and hate filled than ever before ...

There's just a lot more of them now mate. They're very busy shagging their sister/mother/daughter now, and all that inbreeding has a knock on effect.?

17 hours ago, plumbGER said:

The level of hatred towards our club was probably nothing compared to the levels we experience now.

Nowhere near it,mate; at least not in a general level like today. There was plenty hatred individually but nothing like today.

3 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

true ,the hatered was low key ,mainly because other eams were winning things,aberdeen /st mirren cup final   dundee semi finals europe cup, dunfermilne beating tims in cup final apart from tim games you could stand nearly anywhere in the ground

Always wondered myself where the sheep's hatred from us came from, was it all because of the Neil Simpson tackle on Durrant or did it start earlier than that ie the Ferguson years?

I remember reading an article from Dennis Law years about being a massive Gers fan as a youngster and that the whole town (Aberdeen) would be buzzing when the Rangers came to town.

EDIT: Found it...

law.jpg

On 18/03/2017 at 9:09 PM, Billy1984 said:

Wednesday night in 1972 . 80,000 at Ibrox Rangers v Bayern Munich semi final of Cup winners cup and in the East end 60,000 at Parkhead as the tims played Inter Milan in semi final of European cup. Changed days indeed.