Rangers hitman Martyn Waghorn tells new boss Pedro Caixinha: Play me up top and I'll get you the goals

Smile

34 minutes ago, ronniescu said:

Ask Kenny.

And I only said it was a possibility.

Kenny? The Kenny that Waghorn laid the ball on a plate for for Kenny to scuff his shot at the keeper?

Yeah there was another chance Waghorn shot across goal when Kenny was in space but he did link with other players aswell throughout the game.

His assist for Wallace's goal was hardly useless either.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

(Tu)

I'd keep him. He's not a clinical enough scorer to be the first choice who plays every week and nets 25 goals a season but he's more than good enough be a good supporting act to somebody who is while chipping in with 10-15 a season himself.

We need to improve our squad quality and depth if we want to win the league any time soon but I think Waghorn has enough about him to be a part of that and we have far more pressing issues to worry about before we start demanding for him to be sold.

Why keep an average player when he will only keep a good striker from being in the team and that goes for every player at Rangers. We beat a shit team yesterday and we play shit teams just about every week, our future strikers need to be averaging 40 goals a season and the midfield contributing a lot more than they have been, at times Waghorn is too slow to react and clumsy with it and that's playing in Scottish football!!. We will probably be playing in Europe next year, we need to move on and get suitable strikers.

6 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

Why keep an average player when he will only keep a good striker from being in the team and that goes for every player at Rangers. We beat a shit team yesterday and we play shit teams just about every week, our future strikers need to be averaging 40 goals a season and the midfield contributing a lot more than they have been, at times Waghorn is too slow to react and clumsy with it and that's playing in Scottish football!!. We will probably be playing in Europe next year, we need to move on and get suitable strikers.

Where's the money coming from for the three or four strikers who are going to command a place in the squad that you think are going to average 40 goals a season?

Most of our successful sides have had one or two strikers who are clinical enough to score 20 plus a season and they have usually been backed up by another couple who score less but are still decent back ups. There's no reason why Waghorn couldn't  take one of those slots going forward, especially when we are going to have relatively limited funds to rebuild the squad.

I'd rather keep him on for next season than continue to live in hope that Garner or Doodo come good or continue to have an over reliance on a near 38 year old Miller to be back up.

It comes down to money and the fact that our fans have been spoiled with some fantastic forwards over the years. 

We only paid a few hundred thousand for Waghorn so we can't really compare him to guys like Hateley, Mols and Prso etc. His finishing is dreadful at times and he has not been prolific. There will be some decent people available on Bosmans etc but they will be on huge wages and likely out of our reach at the moment. 

Far better players than Waghorn have struggled when played out wide. Arveladze is an example of someone who always seems to get stuck out on the left or right by McLeish, even though he generally scored when played through the middle. Striking is a confidence game. If he is stuck out wide and not scoring it will affect his whole performance. All good professionals will offer to play anywhere for the team but I don't see anything wrong with hoping to play in your preferred position if you feel you can give more there. 

7 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Where's the money coming from for the three or four strikers who are going to command a place in the squad that you think are going to average 40 goals a season?

Most of our successful sides have had one or two strikers who are clinical enough to score 20 plus a season and they have usually been backed up by another couple who score less but are still decent back ups. There's no reason why Waghorn couldn't  take one of those slots going forward, especially when we are going to have relatively limited funds to rebuild the squad.

I'd rather keep him on for next season than continue to live in hope that Garner or Doodo come good or continue to have an over reliance on a near 38 year old Miller to be back up.

Leigh Griffiths managed 40 goals in a lack lustre scum team, a second rate Wolves striker, same as Miller. But go ahead with your head in the sand, we need high scoring dynamic strikers not just for playing in Scotland but Europe, just like you, most Rangers fans have become lost in this "we have no money excuse" as if it somehow lets us off in excepting second rate strikers.

Garner looked out of place on Saturday and likewise Dodoo when he came on, made no difference to the performance, it's early days, maybe the new manager can get the best out of them, time will tell, but on this seasons performances all the strikers have been below par and ultimately can only be tested against top opposition, granted that will be in old firm, crunch games and European games and the final decision on what strikers will come from the manager and not from forum posters and the manager has to make the correct call.

Looks a completely different player the last two games. 

His problem is he could have had a hat trick over the two games and that's why he never will be top class. 

Like all the players, bar Senderos and Kiernan, they should all be given a chance. Most have 10-12 games to save their Rangers careers, they'll never have a chance to play with a club as big as Rangers again. 

14 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Kenny? The Kenny that Waghorn laid the ball on a plate for for Kenny to scuff his shot at the keeper?

Yeah there was another chance Waghorn shot across goal when Kenny was in space but he did link with other players aswell throughout the game.

Check out the last 6 televised games, I have and he converts about one in nine or ten chances, He's not a natural has no ball skills and can hardly lift his leg higher than knee height while failing to trap a ball....Less work in the gym trying to expand your thighs son and more ball work me thinks....Too much badge kissing for me also, it reeks of insincerity.

31 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

Check out the last 6 televised games, I have and he converts about one in nine or ten chances, He's not a natural has no ball skills and can hardly lift his leg higher than knee height while failing to trap a ball....Less work in the gym trying to expand your thighs son and more ball work me thinks....Too much badge kissing for me also, it reeks of insincerity.

Yeah it's best to focus on the negatives.

Never mind any positives.

His game is more suited to playing through the middle, he isn't amazing but he is improving and finding a bit of form and offers more than the other strikers we have.

Strikers miss chances, it happens, i seen Aguero miss quite a few yesterday.

Agree about the gym stuff, it's one thing to improve core strength to help your game but bulking too much affect your natural agility and will affect your game.

15 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Kenny? The Kenny tat Waghorn laid the ball on a plate for for Kenny to scuff his shot at the keeper?

Yup

57 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

Waghorn or Miller :hmmm:?

20 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

Was about to go through one on one and then was given offside but it looked on to me, has been decent every other time he's came on in the last 3/4 months tbf

Apart from Partick he's been absolutely shite every time he's came on.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He also won the penalty that he created.

Ssshhh if he shifted his feet quicker he could have finished it before he was fouled but he would probably have missed anyway.

And his penalty was too straight, if the keeper didn't dive he would have saved it.

3 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Ssshhh if he shifted his feet quicker he could have finished it before he was fouled but he would probably have missed anyway.

And his penalty was too straight, if the keeper didn't dive he would have saved it.

Very true ?

7 hours ago, danger ranger said:

Leigh Griffiths managed 40 goals in a lack lustre scum team, a second rate Wolves striker, same as Miller. But go ahead with your head in the sand, we need high scoring dynamic strikers not just for playing in Scotland but Europe, just like you, most Rangers fans have become lost in this "we have no money excuse" as if it somehow lets us off in excepting second rate strikers.

Garner looked out of place on Saturday and likewise Dodoo when he came on, made no difference to the performance, it's early days, maybe the new manager can get the best out of them, time will tell, but on this seasons performances all the strikers have been below par and ultimately can only be tested against top opposition, granted that will be in old firm, crunch games and European games and the final decision on what strikers will come from the manager and not from forum posters and the manager has to make the correct call.

I was interested in this 40 goals per season expectation - and it's a bit out there - last person to score over 40 in a season for us was Ally ( in 87 and 92) - Negri came close with 38 in 97 Derek Johnston in his best season got 38 ( in 77) - kris Boyd was top for a number of years and his best was 31. You then have to go back to 64 to get over 40 - waghorns 28 last year was good his contribution this year also looks good and that's been with injuries. 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I was interested in this 40 goals per season expectation - and it's a bit out there - last person to score over 40 in a season for us was Ally ( in 87 and 92) - Negri came close with 38 in 97 Derek Johnston in his best season got 38 ( in 77) - kris Boyd was top for a number of years and his best was 31. You then have to go back to 64 to get over 40 - waghorns 28 last year was good his contribution this year also looks good and that's been with injuries. 

Wanty stop coming on here with your rational posts?

This is a Waggy bashing thread don't you know?

Not really a good example using Griffiths anyway, then talking about crunch games and euro games because he doesn't seem to be trusted for them much in the way Boyd wasn't for us.

Guest Lloyd72
56 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Apart from Partick he's been absolutely shite every time he's came on.

Game before that, got the match winning assist, game vs the taigs should have had a goal if Forrester had passed it to him, but aye, shite :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Game before that, got the match winning assist, game vs the taigs should have had a goal if Forrester had passed it to him, but aye, shite :thumbup:

Calling a striker good because 'if he got a pass that one time he would of scored' :lol:

Guest Lloyd72
4 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Calling a striker good because 'if he got a pass that one time he would of scored' :lol:

It shows the fine margins between havin a good game and having a shit game imo, like last game too when he was through on goal and they gave it offside.

16 hours ago, DBBTB said:

30 PTS behind the beggars . I really love your standards

Comparing any of our strikers numbers this season is pointless, we spent more than half the season creating barely any chances each game, could've had anybody upfront and they'd have struggled to get goals in our team this season.

Waghorn has a decent touch & a good eye for a pass but when it comes to finishing, he's fucking shocking.

He's essentially got till the end of the season to prove himself, score another 10 goals and he'll be in with a shout next season of leading the line, Murty giving him half a dozen games straight has given him the chance.