Tactics

KeyserSoze

20 minutes ago, Tom0411 said:

At any throw in within 30/35 yards of our opponents goal we should have a player right in front of their goalie, or on the goal line & as you cant be offside from a throw in it means the opposition need to bring a man back to mark him. I think that this would then create more space as we can push further forward without being offside. 

Most times the defender in that situation would just step up as soon as the throw in was taken leaving the attacker offside as soon as the throw in was received by a team mate. 

2 hours ago, Bakbear said:

I took it as meaning that because Hill can't be offside, they have to mark him. Therefore moving the defender closer to the goal line so that he will play players onside for the 2nd phase of play after the throw in ?

thank fuck someone can read properly

1 minute ago, CaptainAmerica18 said:

The pressing we did when they had the ball was impressive. You see some teams press and get nowhere near the ball, but we were doing it in an intelligent way.

Hope it works as well against a better team.

Think that is going to be a MAJOR part of our turnaround mate, it's one of the main things I've heard the gaffer speak about. Attacking the right spaces without the Ball. 

It is a critical talent to have reading a game, that's why your great defenders weren't always the quickest but they knew the angles to cut a play up or they anticipated the next stage and eliminate the danger. Hopefully our team with high intensity and smart closing down will be a big hit. It's not always what you do with the ball! Listen in Mr warburton

5 minutes ago, CaptainAmerica18 said:

The pressing we did when they had the ball was impressive. You see some teams press and get nowhere near the ball, but we were doing it in an intelligent way.

Hope it works as well against a better team.

Should be effective against any team in Scotland. Better European teams is a completely different story though, could probably cut through us easily.

6 hours ago, Misteral said:

I like the tactics but it's got nothing to do with offside. You can't be offside  if receiiving the ball directly from a throw-in, goal kick or corner no matter your position on the pitch

2nd phase of play though would leave them deeper than the high line the would have adopted  if we never used Hill like that 

(in doing that creating more space for our players to pick up 2nd balls)) 

It was good to see a different tactic employed. Hill was standing off the pitch and then coming quickly on again when the long throws were being done, until the ref told him to stop it.

Another difference yesterday was the urgency of the front two sprinting to get into the box with a midfielder trying to push up behind them. None of this keep possession and pass backwards stuff.

7 hours ago, EastEnclosureBear said:

Had Warburton been in charge yesterday, we may have still won but we'd have conceded and scraped by. 

Next match can't come quick enough now, yesterday was great. But I want to see how we deal with better quality than Hamilton, sheep shaggers away is the real test. 

the sheep couldn't deal with hamilton :aberdeen:

1 hour ago, theiconicman said:

2nd phase of play pish. Cut ball back and no one is offside. 

A lot of people don't know you can only be offside from a forward pass. Same as a keeper can pick up the ball if the pass back to the keeper is a pass forward, eg: pass from the goal line to the penalty spot. 

19 hours ago, Ryju84 said:

Some of our running off the ball / into good attacking positions was immense yesterday.

As well as the maximum 3-4 touches around their box, instead of the previous 20 pass tippy tappy shite

Stopped the needless twenty passes from side to side with no attack just possesion stats.

In the first half (which incidentally we were attacking the wrong way ;) )big clint was stood just off the pitch to the right of the goals when Lee was preparing to throw. The referee made clint come back on the park before the throw was taken, but he literally stood right on the line and the ball was launched right on his head and he tried to knock it across the goal. clearly something pedro likes to do and I hope we see more of the same

23 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

I like that we're finally using our fullbacks ability to take long throw ins, I remember an interview Tav did not long after joining where he apologised for throwing one Long into the box and said he'd never do it again because it wasn't how Warburton wanted us to play. That's stupid as fuck imo, Warburton had no real knowledge of how the game should be played, his game management was non existent and that's why he'll forever be a failure

It's like owning a tank and taking a water pistol into battle

I love the way we maximise every opportunity to get into their box with the throw ins but what I did notice was how many were in the box when we counter attacked. 

There was one counter attack started by Wallace in the second half and within3 passes the ball was in the box and the difference being there was 4 players in the box waiting on it instead of the closest player being about 25 yards away from the box

Guest Lloyd72
17 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I love the way we maximise every opportunity to get into their box with the throw ins but what I did notice was how many were in the box when we counter attacked. 

There was one counter attack started by Wallace in the second half and within3 passes the ball was in the box and the difference being there was 4 players in the box waiting on it instead of the closest player being about 25 yards away from the box

It's great we are drawing them out with passing in midfield then getting in behind them, something MW never understood about football.

10 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

It's great we are drawing them out with passing in midfield then getting in behind them, something MW never understood about football.

I actually watched a video of Man City do that not so long ago. They kept the ball in their half and naturally the opposing team try to start closing them down, within 3 passes they had scored as they left the 4 attackers up top, the opposition midfield was non existent so it was 4v3 at the back.

Guest Lloyd72
8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I actually watched a video of Man City do that not so long ago. They kept the ball in their half and naturally the opposing team try to start closing them down, within 3 passes they had scored as they left the 4 attackers up top, the opposition midfield was non existent so it was 4v3 at the back.

Yup it creates overloads, just goes to show that possession can be good when used correctly but it shouldn't be the only thing you focus on, even Guardiola said  "You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it."