Chances of securing 2nd?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, writingranger said:

No Chance. They have records to aim for. However, they not be able to take their foot off the gas if the title is already won. There's a part of me wants them to win it now for that reason. They'll start to drop points once it's won and we can close the gap and win second with the gap at under 21 points as well as win the Scottish Cup. This reminds me just a bit of when big Eck came in. Look what happened in his first full season.

I fucking hope you are right :tu:

32 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

Aberdeen can only throw 2nd away. Whats the significance of 2nd anyway? Being 30 points behind the taigs at the end of the season is humiliating. Our actual league position isnt relevant. Winning the SC is more of a priority for me rather than finishing ahead of Dolly.

Second place means 1 less qualifier in the EL. However, agree about the SC - silverware for us and fucks up their treble -again.

17 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Second place means 1 less qualifier in the EL. However, agree about the SC - silverware for us and fucks up their treble -again.

I don't know if this is true? 2nd and 3rd last season started at same stage in Europa this season?

Next to no chance imo.

Tims goal diff +58

Sheep              +29

RANGERS       +   9

Embarrassing statistics. 

Pedro won't be able to get the clinical goalscorer we lack till next season,we may outplay every team we play till end of season but missed chances will put us 3rd. Waghorn in particular will fluff his lines at the important moments and Dodoo, who's more of a finisher imo , has played too little to have an impact.

We are were we are. If we take 2nd place now it will be likely to be as much down to Aberdeens mistakes as much as our own performances. What I think we should be focusing on is simply winning every game we play and in particular focusing effort on the Cup. What we cannot afford to do is let St Johnstone or Hearts close up. Achieving European Football next year should be the minimum aspiration for the rest of the Season.

3 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Next to no chance imo.

Tims goal diff +58

Sheep              +29

RANGERS       +   9

Embarrassing statistics. 

Pedro won't be able to get the clinical goalscorer we lack till next season,we may outplay every team we play till end of season but missed chances will put us 3rd. Waghorn in particular will fluff his lines at the important moments and Dodoo, who's more of a finisher imo , has played too little to have an impact.

New manager changes things, show a bit of optimism

30 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

If thats the case then i wouldnt bust a gut to be 2nd. SC and league victory over taigs and 3rd place would be fine.

3rd place for me.  I think we will narrow the gap but not bridge it.  It's all about the new manager using the rest of the season to full assess what we need for next year.

Would be great if we could secure the cup though!

37 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

If thats the case then i wouldnt bust a gut to be 2nd. SC and league victory over taigs and 3rd place would be fine.

Fucking right the players should be busting a gut to get second, and I expect Pedro to drum that into them.   Anything less than 100% in every game between now and the end of the season is unacceptable, if we fall short and finish 3rd then it's not the end of the world but the supporters who pay good money to watch the team week in week out and make sacrifices to be there deserve nothing less than the players busting a gut for the cause. It's not like they had been doing that for MW, now is the time for them to step up and prove they deserve to be here.  IMO of course.

If Pedro keeps the team focussed I really think 2nd will take care of itself tbh. The sheep are pish and they'll keep dropping points.

But the Cup is a must for this season - Some silverware for the shite we've put up with on and off the park, and more importantly the joy of fucking up their treble once again. :UK:

It's alright saying beat the sheep twice and what not but beating them twice is irrelevant if we can't win the others which include Celtic at ibrox and potentially we could be away at hearts and the sheep post split.  So it's going to be tough.

ill just take it one game at a time

26 minutes ago, Craiggybear said:

If Pedro keeps the team focussed I really think 2nd will take care of itself tbh. The sheep are pish and they'll keep dropping points.

But the Cup is a must for this season - Some silverware for the shite we've put up with on and off the park, and more importantly the joy of fucking up their treble once again. :UK:

You are aware they've won 15 from their last 17 games?

4 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

You are aware they've won 15 from their last 17 games?

Fair play that's a good shout mate, but when you look at the last few games before the hearts at the weekend  - 

1-0 win at home against Motherwell (92nd min winner :facepalm:)

1-0 win against thistle

Beaten 1-0 off Hamilton

1-0 win against Ross county

2-1 win against Kilmarnock (85th min winner)

They've been scraping these games against bottom end teams and they've still got a few dodgy games before the split.

Am I misguided? Possibly. Am I optimistic? Definitely!