Where and when was this pic taken?

This mite be an easy one for some older bears

but who can tell me when and where this pic was taken, who we were playing and what is the significance of it.

brilliant photo

pwy0pBm.jpg

6 minutes ago, Willis said:

No ones mentioned the phantom polis of Highbury yet

:lol:

The one on the top left? .....He must be at the Rangers end mate ..... and was sent by his mates to see just how good this Rangers mob really are ..... probably from Scotland yard to make sure all Rangers supporters were singing FTP after the BB ... and told to arrest anyone who never used "afters" ...... changed days right enough? ...... :p:

:UK:

14 minutes ago, Dietspam said:

What is the significance of the picture? Wiki says the first floodlit match was in 1878

Was the first one at Highbury I believe

48 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

The one on the top left? .....He must be at the Rangers end mate ..... and was sent by his mates to see just how good this Rangers mob really are ..... probably from Scotland yard to make sure all Rangers supporters were singing FTP after the BB ... and told to arrest anyone who never used "afters" ...... changed days right enough? ...... :p:

He had to leave before the final whistle to make it home in time for the lodge meeting :lol:

1 hour ago, Willis said:

This mite be an easy one for some older bears

but who can tell me when and where this pic was taken, who we were playing and what is the significance of it.

brilliant photo

pwy0pBm.jpg

What about this pic pal - and likewise, what is the significance?

Too late - actually the last game, without floodlights. 

2017-03-22-20-51-20--90018711.png

42 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

I was always under the impression the first floodlit match at Ibrox was also a game against Arsenal? Not googling it but does anybody know?

:tu: 

Spot on mate.

From something  I read years ago my memory said 1953 was the first time we used floodlights ..... but had to google it and found this mate and this guy sort of covers things.

I just kind of tidied it up to make it easier to read .... I don't think Sam will mind .... :lol:

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Sam_English .... T.C.I.G.T.T.M ..... Join Date 28-07-2006 ..... Location Ironwood State Penitentiary ..... Posts ....62,486

Rangers Under Floodlight

So when did Rangers get involved with floodlit football ? Well,it depends what you mean.There had been experimental matches with mixed Rangers sides as early as 1953.

Ibrox presented technical difficulties because of its close proximity to Glasgow airport, which in those days was a couple of miles nearer the city of Renfrew. River mist and fog had also to be taken into consideration and Rangers were almost alone among major Scottish and English clubs in not going for the conventional pylon system.

The first big floodlight match was a friendly against English rivals of long standing, Arsenal doing the opening honours. And in 1955-56 the first League match played under floodlights in Scotland featured Rangers and Queen of the South at Ibrox.

The home side took to the new medium right away and none more so than Don Kichenbrand who scored five goals in an 8-0 win and attracted such unforgettable headlines as "The Rhino Comes Out At Night"

It was clear that there was  enormous public interest for such matches and an added impetus was given by the development of European competitions just at this time and over 50 years or so since,there have been many memorable nights under floodlights,notably the 2-0 win against Wolves and the narrow 1-0 loss to Real Madrid.

Even these were put in the shade in season 1992-93 when no one fortunate enough to be there will ever forget the gritty comeback against Marseilles and the Scott Nisbet goal which brought victory against Bruges.

A great floodlit honour came Rangers way in 1961 they were invited to open the Hampden Park floodlights which had been surprisingly long in arriving,with a match against their great European opponents, Eintracht Frankfurt.

For the only time in recorded football history a friendly floodlit match attracted a six-figure crowd,although with Eintracht 3-0 up at one stage visions of another rout flitted before everyone's eyes.Rangers battled on and two goals from a very improbable source, Harold Davis,meant that honour was saved even if the match was not quite salvaged.

For more than half a century the roads out of the city centre have been jam-packed on big match nights,too much for poor Willie Henderson who suffered the tortures of the damned when in 1962 the breakdown of a friend's car caused him to arrive at Ibrox too late to play in the return leg of the tie with Standard Leige which began with Rangers 4-1 down. On their own patch Rangers won 2-0 so the absence of Henderson may well have been crucial.

The introduction of floodlights transformed the game. Strips were altered to take account of it and the later kick-offs in winter allowed fans to travel from further afield when people still worked on Saturday mornings.

Above all, it allowed the Scottish football follower to see at regular intervals the cream of European footballers and to judge how the domestic game stood in relation to them.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

32 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Spot on mate.

From something  I read years ago my memory said 1953 was the first time we used floodlights ..... but had to google it and found this mate and this guy sort of covers things.

I just kind of tidied it up to make it easier to read .... I don't think Sam will mind .... :lol:

Sam_English .... T.C.I.G.T.T.M ..... Join Date 28-07-2006 ..... Location Ironwood State Penitentiary ..... Posts ....62,486

Rangers Under Floodlight

So when did Rangers get involved with floodlit football ? Well,it depends what you mean.There had been experimental matches with mixed Rangers sides as early as 1953.

Ibrox presented technical difficulties because of its close proximity to Glasgow airport, which in those days was a couple of miles nearer the city of Renfrew. River mist and fog had also to be taken into consideration and Rangers were almost alone among major Scottish and English clubs in not going for the conventional pylon system.

The first big floodlight match was a friendly against English rivals of long standing, Arsenal doing the opening honours. And in 1955-56 the first League match played under floodlights in Scotland featured Rangers and Queen of the South at Ibrox.

The home side took to the new medium right away and none more so than Don Kichenbrand who scored five goals in an 8-0 win and attracted such unforgettable headlines as "The Rhino Comes Out At Night"

It was clear that there was  enormous public interest for such matches and an added impetus was given by the development of European competitions just at this time and over 50 years or so since,there have been many memorable nights under floodlights,notably the 2-0 win against Wolves and the narrow 1-0 loss to Real Madrid.

Even these were put in the shade in season 1992-93 when no one fortunate enough to be there will ever forget the gritty comeback against Marseilles and the Scott Nisbet goal which brought victory against Bruges.

A great floodlit honour came Rangers way in 1961 they were invited to open the Hampden Park floodlights which had been surprisingly long in arriving,with a match against their great European opponents, Eintracht Frankfurt.

For the only time in recorded football history a friendly floodlit match attracted a six-figure crowd,although with Eintracht 3-0 up at one stage visions of another rout flitted before everyone's eyes.Rangers battled on and two goals from a very improbable source, Harold Davis,meant that honour was saved even if the match was not quite salvaged.

For more than half a century the roads out of the city centre have been jam-packed on big match nights,too much for poor Willie Henderson who suffered the tortures of the damned when in 1962 the breakdown of a friend's car caused him to arrive at Ibrox too late to play in the return leg of the tie with Standard Leige which began with Rangers 4-1 down. On their own patch Rangers won 2-0 so the absence of Henderson may well have been crucial.

The introduction of floodlights transformed the game. Strips were altered to take account of it and the later kick-offs in winter allowed fans to travel from further afield when people still worked on Saturday mornings.

Above all, it allowed the Scottish football follower to see at regular intervals the cream of European footballers and to judge how the domestic game stood in relation to them.

Great read that.

My dad was at the match against Arsenal. 

7 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

Great read that.

My dad was at the match against Arsenal. 

Mine too mate .... never ever asked him .... (as they were there when I started going ... taking for granted they had always been there) .... but it must have been a spectacle back then right enough with it being the first time ....  I think it still is today ... love Ibrox at night when it is all lit up like a Xmas tree ... magic .... :lol:

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Mine too mate .... never ever asked him .... (as they were there when I started going ... taking for granted they had always been there) .... but it must have been a spectacle back then right enough with it being the first time ....  I think it still is today ... love Ibrox at night when it is all lit up like a Xmas tree ... magic .... :lol:

Aye. His brother travelled to the Wolverhampton game. He used to tell me about it all the time. Wasnt about the match though. Said he had never saw so many darkies before. Think his exposure to coloured chaps was fighting alongside some in WWII and Wolverhampton was a culture shock.

11 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

Aye. His brother travelled to the Wolverhampton game. He used to tell me about it all the time. Wasnt about the match though. Said he had never saw so many darkies before. Think his exposure to coloured chaps was fighting alongside some in WWII and Wolverhampton was a culture shock.

That's a cracker mate .... funny as hell ..... The Black Country right enough ..... that area was called that even before the "darkies" came to settle there .... talk about irony .... :lol: