22 years

Billy1984

He passed the day before my birthday, I'll be 39 tomorrow which really brings home just how young he was. My favourite player and a gent who always made time to chat after games. Scotland may never see his like again.

Growing up my 3 favourite players were Cooper, McCoist and Durrant. I was right footed, but always practiced with my left foot as I wanted to be as good as Davie. I feel sorry for the young Gers today as they have O'Halloran, Haliday And Waghorn as their inspiration.

RIP Davie Cooper you were one of the all time greats in football. Never forgotten, Always revered. 

9 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I bet a horse today called Lord Cooper, I saw it as an omen and it duly won at 15/2....unfortunatley i did it as part of a treble and the other 2 lost.

RIP coops 

Was on that myself, felt it was a sure thing today.

I don't really remember Davie playing but he was my grandad's favourite player and I remember how upset he was watching the news when the great man died. He was trying to explain to a young me how great this player was. My grandad was right about many things but maybe never more so than Davie Cooper. 

Christ I'm sitting typing this trying not to greet!!

Rip Davie.

Did not realise it was the anniversary of his passing today but I did put my Davie Cooper Legend T-shirt on under my jumper today. Had the pleasurevof meeting him when I was still at school in Hamilton, he gave me a signed black and white photo of the Scottish Cup winning team, must have been 76 or 77.

R.I.P. Moody Blue

5 hours ago, hammer93 said:

It worked a treat for the Scottish cup win in 81.....dropped on the Saturday.....devastating on the Wednesday

It did indeed, possibly Coops best all round performance in a Rangers jersey 

On 23/03/2017 at 8:42 AM, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

25 Davie Cooper Quotes That Every Glasgow Rangers Fan Will Love

On the anniversary of Davie Cooper's death, here are the best quotes - by and about - the Rangers legend.

Legends on Davie

Ray Wilkins: "He was a Brazilian trapped in a Scotsman’s body."

Walter Smith: "He was always a tremendous player for this club but when Graeme Souness and I moved into Ibrox he was transformed. There is no doubt in my mind that was because he was surrounded by better players."

Stuart Munroe: "Davie could have made a fortune by moving down south but he resisted the temptation because he was a Rangers man through and through."

Terry Butcher: "He was second to none in terms of delivery of the ball, and I’d rate him better than David Beckham in terms of free-kicks and corners. He was a magnificent talent and a wonderful character. He could moan for Scotland, right enough, but was basically a lovely lad. I still miss him terribly."

Craig Brown: "This country doesn’t unearth all that many genuinely world-class stars, but Coop came into that category without a shadow of a doubt."

Graeme Souness: "His nickname ‘Albert’ which stemmed from the Coronation Street character Albert Tatlock who was always moaning. I could tell if Coop was going to have a good game if he came into Ibrox and was moaning even more than usual!"

Derek Johnstone: "From a playing point of view there is no doubt in my mind that he was one of Europe’s greatest players."

Ruud Gullit: "Davie Cooper was one of the best football players I have ever seen."

Gordon Smith: "When I later moved to the continent to pursue my career I saw lots of fine players with marvellous talent. But none better than Davie."

Walter Smith: "Davie’s pet hates were referees and coaches which meant I got my fair share of stick because I referred some training games and I also did a lot of the coaching!"

Rod Stewart: "I played against him in a charity match some years ago back up at Firhill. I reckoned I matched him for speed, but that was about it. He was just so tricky he tied me up in knots!"

Sandy Jardine: "His goal in the Drybrough cup against Celtic was one in a lifetime and it overshadowed me because I scored one of my best goals that day and it hardly got a mention."

Tommy McClean: "He wasn’t the quickest in terms of pace but he was the quickest thinker I’ve ever seen. He saw things so much earlier than anyone else."

Gordon Strachan: "Davie would hug the left touchline. He was the best ball player and wide man I've ever seen. He wasn't fast; he'd just get past defenders with an amazing change of direction. He was also a superb passer of the ball and his crossing was second to none."

Charlie Nicholas: "Apart from his footballing ability which was second to none he was also one of the most down to earth guys you could wish to meet."

Andy Roxburgh: "Football is not about robots or boring tactics. It's about excitement, emotion and individual flair and imagination as shown by Davie Cooper."

Ally McCoist: "Even now I find it difficult to believe he’s gone. We were friends and teammates for a long time and his death had an enormous effect on me."

Graeme Souness: "I always believed that Davie Cooper was a more naturally gifted player than even the great Kenny Dalglish. And that is high praise."

Walter Smith: "God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used."

Davie on Davie

On his loyalties: "I only support two teams; Rangers, and whoever is playing Celtic."

On beating Celtic 3-2: "Jock Wallace told us in no uncertain terms that Celtic had scored two unlucky goals, so we had better go out there and score three bloody good ones."

On the first time he played against John Greig: "He waded in with the kind of challenge Jack the Ripper would have been proud of…and then he growled “If I get another chance, I’ll break your leg."

On the Souness era: "I do feel a little bit frustrated that these good and exciting times at Ibrox have come a little too late for me. But against that frustration is the realism that I have enjoyed a marvelous career that others would give their right arm for so I can't be greedy."

On joining Motherwell: "I hated leaving Rangers, but I wanted to go somewhere where I could keep playing."

On Rangers: "I played for the team I loved."

Fucking love this quote!!???

The first time I saw Davie Cooper was the 3-3 game when he played for Clydebank. He was the most dangerous player on the park, he gave our right back (Sandy?) a torrid time. I still remember thinking "we have got to get him" . A brilliant player who could change a game, put it to bed, with 5 minutes of genius. A truly great player, really missed. 

On the first time he played against John Greig: "He waded in with the kind of challenge Jack the Ripper would have been proud of…and then he growled “If I get another chance, I’ll break your leg."

Great quote!