Realistic net spend on summer signings

MisterC

How much of a net spend do you think Pedro will get this summer? Ideally somewhere north of £5m plus whatever we can bring in transfer fee wise. I can see a few of the players heading back down south again and hopefully we can get a few bob for them. If a very good offer came in for players we would like to keep then realistically the club would probably sell. Given his performances this season foderingham would fetch a few million and I dare say Mackay as well.

Anyway the point is, we will probably have to do some wheeling and dealing in the summer but other than what we bring in transfer fee wise,how much will be spent on top of that.

My tuppence worth is that realistically it's around the £5m mark but I would say we need treble that to properly compete next season rather than rely on English league 1 standard players as we have now

I would say £5m at this point. Ship 2 or 3 players out, get £7m plus to spend, a £3m player, a £2m player and some smart cheap signings and we could be where we want if we buy well.

It's simply not going to be enough getting 6 figure players again. I believe the shear number of players we've been signing every window recently has been why fees are so low. Get in 3-5 quality players rather than the 8-10 players we've been having to do past windows. How many players we need next season will depend on situations of Kranjcar, Rossiter, Miller and Hill, also bearing in mind that Hyndman and Toral will be away.

I think £6 mill would do it. 

Get around £4 mill for Kiernan, Tav and Waghorn + a couple of others. Whatever the deficit is should be brought in by the board. 

Probably add another £2 mill in the Christmas window if were really in the mix. 

It'll be all about how he spends it though. He needs players to settle right away, have the correct mentality and realise they could write their names into history lifting that title. 

i'D SAY 5 - 8 MILLION WAS a reasonable budget especially given PC's knowledge, assumed based on his experience, of the Portuguese and African markets where there are still a few bargains to be had.  I believe salary wise we can compete with Portugal.  

King has stated recently that the club has shown a profit so no reason not to spend a few bob, well no reason other than the obvious. 

Will the big Ghanian central defender be his first signing?

No one had a clue, so this thread will soon deteriorate into the usual Board slagging/praising arguments that happen every time money is mentioned on the forum by the usual posters. 

Fucking boring man.

problem is you've got to factor in wages - better / more expensive the player, higher the wages.

what I'd like to see is 5 really good (for Scottish football) out of contract players as can offer them a decent wage, say £20k a week = just over £5m with no transfer fees required.

If we can shift a few like kiernan and  halliday then that will supplement the spend, even through a saving in wages

Think that would be sufficient to challenge and any more than 5 and it's difficult to bed them all in.

look at them across the city - 2 cheapish players from the championship and transformed their team - nullify them as we did the other week and they're pretty ordinary.

At this moment if you ask me what positions for the new players, I think it's fairy obvious we need at least one centre back, prob a right back, holding midfielder (if wee Jordan doesn't work out maybe Toral) and a goal scorer (just don't think waghorn or garner have got it).  

Also maybe a winger or creative mid though Niko could possibly come back to fill the creative slot / wee Barrie could perhaps play there

All iffs and buts at the moment and we'll have a better idea once Pedro has been in a couple of months and we see how the team is shaping up.  Who knows, kiernan might actually be a good player (ok too far)

1 hour ago, AlCapone said:

I don't see where the funds are coming from???? We don't have a bean

They are going to have to gamble within reason at some stage and spend a few bob to make a few bob, for us not to get INto the Eurin,pa for the sake of say 2 M to 4m would be daft for business. IF they ponied up get us through to the league part they would still have time to punt say Barrie and Waggy I certainly wouldnt punt them until replacements are I

4 hours ago, MisterC said:

How much of a net spend do you think Pedro will get this summer? Ideally somewhere north of £5m plus whatever we can bring in transfer fee wise. I can see a few of the players heading back down south again and hopefully we can get a few bob for them. If a very good offer came in for players we would like to keep then realistically the club would probably sell. Given his performances this season foderingham would fetch a few million and I dare say Mackay as well.

Anyway the point is, we will probably have to do some wheeling and dealing in the summer but other than what we bring in transfer fee wise,how much will be spent on top of that.

My tuppence worth is that realistically it's around the £5m mark but I would say we need treble that to properly compete next season rather than rely on English league 1 standard players as we have now

Agree with you. If we let Tav and Waggy go it might go from 5 to say 8 but it will be around that mark unless they sell Fod and Baz in which case 15m. Minimum requirement will be a CB or two, proven CDM and a proven striker. For that money we'll have to scour foreign leagues... like Portugal!