King looking to strike a deal

Guest Lloyd72

Guest Lloyd72

DAVE KING hopes Rangers will be able to sell their own jerseys this summer.

Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct has a tight grip on the club’s retail deal, which sees Gers earn next to nothing from shirt sales.

King insists he has budgeted for the loss of revenue ahead of next season.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news, transfers and goals from Scottish football plus fixtures, results and live match commentary

But he’s still eager to strike a deal with Ashley — IF he accepts a new contract, which is heavily weighted towards Gers.

King said: “The position is not worse than it was the last time we spoke, but we don’t have a resolution yet.

“We are holding on for something that’s right and when we do get it right we will say that to supporters.

“There’s no reason why it wouldn’t include Sports Direct at that point because Sports Direct in my view would be commercially naïve to completely walk away.

“There has to be something in it for us.

“The question is, can we leave something in it for them when it’s still largely in favour of the club and I don’t think that’s impossible.

“I think it can be done. I’m optimistic for pre-season.

“All I can really say is I do believe there is a possibility that in pre-season we might be able to do a proper kit launch that we can endorse and that will have the support of the fans. I believe that’s possible for pre-season.”

King and Ashley have clashed over the dispute, but the Gers chairman claimed: “I don’t think there is any personal animus.

“I think there is only an element of that because he sees me as the person in his way, believing the Rangers board would have been more compliant if I wasn’t there.

“But I think with Mike, he just doesn’t like losing.

“If it wasn’t me and it was someone else showing the same level of resistance, I think Mike would feel exactly the same way.

“I don’t think his view is all about a couple of million pounds. It’s about winning the fight and less about the money. We’re all losing in that sense and under normal commercial circumstances this would have been settled some time ago.

“The reason it has not been settled is because of the level of resistance.

“I’m just the focal point of that resistance, which is why he was trying to put me in jail, intimidate me, sue me and threaten me.

“But it’s not to an extent that we can’t do business.

“I think Sports Direct is still a smart retail business and I still think it makes sense for a club like Rangers to have a retail partner.

“But it would have to be on terms that were good for the club. That’s always been the problem for Sports Direct.”

King insists he shrugs off the legal battle with Ashley even though he’s tried to get him jailed.

He added: “For me, on a scale of one to ten it doesn’t get to one. The threat of going to jail, it’s quite amusing.

“My family say ‘We’ll see you at Christmas, which jail will we see you at’. We genuinely laugh about it.

“I do this for a living. This is what I do. I wouldn’t have taken it on at Rangers if I didn’t have the temperament and the personality.

“Obviously money was required as well and I had to meet that, but if I didn’t have the temperament and I wasn’t up for the fight, I wouldn’t have done it.

“And I certainly wouldn’t be here two years later doing what I’m doing now.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/768173/dave-king-hopes-to-strike-a-deal-with-mike-ashley-for-rangers-to-sell-their-own-jerseys-this-summer/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-scotsunsport-_-News-_-TwImageandlink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, brazz1972 said:

Hopefully a deal can be done with this. Rangers fans not buying Rangers merchandise is a joke.

Surely sports direct must have made a big loss on Rangers gear this season. All the production costs and low sales.

Hope so too mate, no one is getting anything from the current situation.

8 minutes ago, brazz1972 said:

Hopefully a deal can be done with this. Rangers fans not buying Rangers merchandise is a joke.

Surely sports direct must have made a big loss on Rangers gear this season. All the production costs and low sales.

Dont we foot the bill for unsold merchandise :anger:

2 minutes ago, Billy1984 said:

Hope so too mate, no one is getting anything from the current situation.

Exactly, who is winning here? There are two solutions as i see it. Renegotiate the merchandise deal that satisfies both the club and SD. Or pay a settlement and negotiate a completely new merchandise deal elsewhere. Incidentally has anyone heard the Adidas rumour? 

Puma can influence this too. And if something was settled i think sales in merchandise this summer would be an all time high. 

Interview in tomorrows sun

Dave King on Mark Warburton: “It’s not a criticism but he is a little bit thin-skinned." @scotsunsport

Scottish Sun Sport Retweeted

Robert Grieve‏Verified account @robert_grieve  17m17 minutes ago

Dave King on Joey Barton:"Was he a high risk signing? Yes, he was.Was it something that exercised my mind and that of the board?Yes it was."

Robert Grieve‏Verified account @robert_grieve  19m19 minutes ago

Dave King on Pedro Caixinha: “I like him as a person. I like his confidence, his personality, his temperament, his mentality." @scotsunsport

Robert Grieve‏Verified account @robert_grieve  20m20 minutes ago

Dave King on striking a new retail deal with Mike Ashley: "I think it can be done soon. I’m optimistic for pre-season.” @scotsunsport

Robert Grieve‏Verified account @robert_grieve  21m21 minutes ago

Dave King on perception he's not in Glasgow enough as Rangers chairman: "I travel to Scotland more often than I’d like to." @scotsunsport

Robert Grieve‏Verified account @robert_grieve  38m38 minutes ago

Interesting chat with @RangersFC chairman Dave King today. Interview in tomorrow's @scotsunsport and online

10 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Dont we foot the bill for unsold merchandise :anger:

You might well be right mate. I vaguely remember reading that we were liable for it. Don't know how it would work if we haven't officially endorsed or asked for the merchandise. Suppose it'll all be in smallprint in some contract 

Maybe I'm being out of order here but as much as I'd love to see Rangers fans buying our tops again and our retail deal back in-house it has to be the right deal for us.

Knowing King he will pay a few million to get it back and we can't afford to fund the squad rebuild and the bed wetters point to having the retail deal back as if it's a great thing, excuses King AGAIN and justifies another year of failure.

Maybe I'm just far too cynical. If we can spend decent cash on the team and get the retail deal back then happy days but I've a feeling it could be prioritised over other, more important things. Just a hunch. 

PS - "I travel to Scotland more often than I'd like to" ... WOW

Guest Lloyd72

DAVE KING insists Mark Warburton was too SENSITIVE to be Rangers boss.

In a stinging blast, Ibrox chairman King insisted Warbs was ‘too thin-skinned’ to work in Glasgow.

King said: “In an environment like Glasgow, having a thin skin is not  an advantage.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news, transfers and goals from Scottish football plus fixtures, results and live match commentary

“It’s a tough environment and if you are thin-skinned it is not going to be easy to adjust to that.

“But the fact is it’s part of the Glasgow deal.  When there is a lot going wrong on the park, the media is going to be all over you. You have to be up for that.

“Mark Warburton’s temperament is different. It’s not a criticism, but he is a little bit thin-skinned.”

King gave a rare interview on his whistle-stop trip to Ibrox to meet new boss Pedro Caixinha.

But he revealed he’s considering legal action against Warburton after he became Nottingham Forest boss.

Warburton, through the English League Managers’ Association, claims Rangers axed him and he did NOT quit his job at Ibrox.

But King insists Warburton resigned over talks with Forest, the club he’s now boss of.

He added: “I think there is no case — the case really is what Rangers now do.

“It certainly appears to me that what you have got now is an engineered outcome, to the benefit of Nottingham Forest.

“I was approached directly when they were in negotiations with Forest to ask if Rangers would waive compensation, and that was the first I was aware that they were even talking to Forest.

“My response is what I am saying today, that we would not waive the compensation because if the management team does walk out, and we have to replace them, we might have to pay compensation.

“But I said I would be flexible in how they paid the compensation.

“They might not have to pay it all up front, but maybe spread it over a period of time.

“That was taken out of our hands with the whole resignation debacle, and they have all ended up at Nottingham Forest without us getting  compensation — and we’ve had to pay compensation.

“That’s exactly where I didn’t want to be.

“I’m now going to have a legal discussion. On the face of it, whether it’s Forest or the management team, it’s a possibility. But we just have to see how we feel about that. We need to know more.

“What I can say for sure is  I got a direct approach saying  they were in discussion with Nottingham Forest and that there was a problem with the compensation — would we waive it if they went. And I said No.

“It was a direct approach, but I said off the record we wouldn’t waive the compensation.

“It was an indirect approach, but directed to me in terms that I had the conversation, but it wasn’t  officially from Forest.

“What was clear at the time was there were discussions with Nottingham Forest and that’s been confirmed, quite frankly, since then that they WERE in discussions.

“Whether these discussions were through the proper protocol — you would normally expect clubs to talk to each other and say: ‘Is it all right if we approach your manager’?

“But there were a lot of things that didn’t happen. I would  have been surprised if Mark didn’t end up at Nottingham Forest.

“My disappointment is  the way it was  handled resulted — as matters stand at the moment — in Rangers not getting compensation, which normally we would have been entitled to.”

Asked if he was confident with his position on the controversy, King said: “Absolutely. You can’t un-resign. They resigned, we accepted the resignation, they then decided to un-resign.

“We said you can’t un-resign, and they have all ended up at Nottingham Forest. I think one can join the dots quite clearly.”

Warburton, whose first game in charge of relegation-threatened Forest ended in a 2-2 draw with Derby, again denied he had resigned as Gers boss when he took over at the City Ground last week.

His No2 at Ibrox Davie Weir has also joined him at Forest. While his former talent scout at Gers, Frank McParland, was appointed the club’s director of football before Warburton was confirmed as boss.

1 minute ago, Lloyd72 said:

In a stinging blast, Ibrox chairman King insisted Warbs was ‘too thin-skinned’ to work in Glasgow.

King said: “In an environment like Glasgow, having a thin skin is not  an advantage.

“It’s a tough environment and if you are thin-skinned it is not going to be easy to adjust to that.

“But the fact is it’s part of the Glasgow deal.  When there is a lot going wrong on the park, the media is going to be all over you. You have to be up for that.

“Mark Warburton’s temperament is different. It’s not a criticism, but he is a little bit thin-skinned.”

King gave a rare interview on his whistle-stop trip to Ibrox to meet new boss Pedro Caixinha.

But he revealed he’s considering legal action against Warburton after he became Nottingham Forest boss.

Tickets to Lisbon Lions 50th anniversary tribute with Rod Stewart gone in just 30 minutes

Warburton, through the English League Managers’ Association, claims Rangers axed him and he did NOT quit his job at Ibrox.

But King insists Warburton resigned over talks with Forest, the club he’s now boss of.

“It certainly appears to me that what you have got now is an engineered outcome, to the benefit of Nottingham Forest.

“I was approached directly when they were in negotiations with Forest to ask if Rangers would waive compensation, and that was the first I was aware that they were even talking to Forest.

“My response is what I am saying today, that we would not waive the compensation because if the management team does walk out, and we have to replace them, we might have to pay compensation.

“They might not have to pay it all up front, but maybe spread it over a period of time.

“That was taken out of our hands with the whole resignation debacle, and they have all ended up at Nottingham Forest without us getting  compensation — and we’ve had to pay compensation.

“I’m now going to have a legal discussion. On the face of it, whether it’s Forest or the management team, it’s a possibility. But we just have to see how we feel about that. We need to know more.

“What I can say for sure is  I got a direct approach saying  they were in discussion with Nottingham Forest and that there was a problem with the compensation — would we waive it if they went. And I said No.

“It was a direct approach, but I said off the record we wouldn’t waive the compensation.

“It was an indirect approach, but directed to me in terms that I had the conversation, but it wasn’t  officially from Forest.

“What was clear at the time was there were discussions with Nottingham Forest and that’s been confirmed, quite frankly, since then that they WERE in discussions.

“Whether these discussions were through the proper protocol — you would normally expect clubs to talk to each other and say: ‘Is it all right if we approach your manager’?

“But there were a lot of things that didn’t happen. I would  have been surprised if Mark didn’t end up at Nottingham Forest.

“My disappointment is  the way it was  handled resulted — as matters stand at the moment — in Rangers not getting compensation, which normally we would have been entitled to.”

Asked if he was confident with his position on the controversy, King said: “Absolutely. You can’t un-resign. They resigned, we accepted the resignation, they then decided to un-resign.

“We said you can’t un-resign, and they have all ended up at Nottingham Forest. I think one can join the dots quite clearly.”

Warburton, whose first game in charge of relegation-threatened Forest ended in a 2-2 draw with Derby, again denied he had resigned as Gers boss when he took over at the City Ground last week.

His No2 at Ibrox Davie Weir has also joined him at Forest. While his former talent scout at Gers, Frank McParland, was appointed the club’s director of football before Warburton was confirmed as boss.

Pure gutted so i am.

15 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Exactly, who is winning here? There are two solutions as i see it. Renegotiate the merchandise deal that satisfies both the club and SD. Or pay a settlement and negotiate a completely new merchandise deal elsewhere. Incidentally has anyone heard the Adidas rumour? 

Puma can influence this too. And if something was settled i think sales in merchandise this summer would be an all time high. 

I would like to think a solution could be found but something in me tells me Ashley won't go away easy. Hope I'm  wrong.

Guest Lloyd72
7 minutes ago, Smile said:

Someone keep this idiot away from the media the board must get the fear when he opens his big mouth then heads home again.

Cunt just turns up every few months to remind us how much of a cocky cunt he is then fucks off again leaving a bunch of diddys in charge

6 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

That flies in the face of the official statement we put out saying we'd accept the resignation and agree to no compensation provided we didn't have to pay them anything - or is my memory playing tricks on me? 

32 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

“There has to be something in it for us.

“The question is, can we leave something in it for them when it’s still largely in favour of the club and I don’t think that’s impossible.

Surely the point is for it to be mutually beneficial to both parties??? Otherwise it's an onerous contract is it not???

32 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

which is why he was trying to put me in jail, intimidate me, sue me and threaten me.

“But it’s not to an extent that we can’t do business.

The threat of going to jail, it’s quite amusing.

:mutley: