Walter

dogtanian

good read but one answer shows you just how poor rangers are at youth development and have been for decades, he said fergie is the best young player he has ever seen yet he tried to flog him to hearts during 10iar year (if memory serves me right) for a few hundred grand, had walter stayed even one or two more years, ferguson might well have been shipped off to some shitey team and we'd have lost out on what he gave us for years both times around

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

good read but one answer shows you just how poor rangers are at youth development and have been for decades, he said fergie is the best young player he has ever seen yet he tried to flog him to hearts during 10iar year (if memory serves me right) for a few hundred grand, had walter stayed even one or two more years, ferguson might well have been shipped off to some shitey team and we'd have lost out on what he gave us for years both times around

Don't know how true it is but according to a few evertonians he wouldn't play Rooney as he thought he wouldn't cut it.

whilst Walter has won a lot with us it's true what you say about his approach to younger players.   Charlie Adam is another one. Except his 1st year away he's been in the premiership ever since  and he can hold his own at that level

3 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Don't know how true it is but according to a few evertonians he wouldn't play Rooney as he thought he wouldn't cut it.

whilst Walter has won a lot with us it's true what you say about his approach to younger players.   Charlie Adam is another one. Except his 1st year away he's been in the premiership ever since  and he can hold his own at that level

Nonsense. Rooney was 15 when Walter was there. 

1 hour ago, M0NTY said:

Im sure rooney showed world class potential back then at 15

Showing potential isn't the same as being ready to play against sol campbell.

Rooney played when he was ready to play. Only an idiot would suggest Walter in some way held him back.

Walters record in promoting youth is poor but he certainly did nothing wrong where Rooney is concerned.

Quick point on the youth development record:

In his first spell he had so much money behind him, he didn't need youth players to bring in and develop to become first team regulars. He could sign already proven quality with the funds available.

In his second spell, these funds were not there, and he did try to integrate a number of young players into the first team. Guys like John Fleck, Jamie Ness, Charlie Adam to an extent, Allan Hutton, Gregg Wylde, Andy Little, even Allan McGregor were all young players who got games for Smith, and despite some being there before he was the second time, he got the best out of them, ie Hutton and McGregor.

Many of the others were just not quite good enough, but that's not down to Smith himself imo.

Love the man also and everything he's done vastly outweighs a couple of negatives like not starting Novo in manchester or making the change at ht, also his preferred choice of managers in mccoist and mccinnes but apart from that the man is a class act 

Walter is great, and a legend, but he's not absolutely infallible. 

Been a few major errors / failures, including not getting 10 in a row, some horrendous European exits, making an arse of the UEFA cup final and handpicking McCoist as manager. 

Love the guy though. What he has done well significantly outweighs his mistakes. 

Stand out moments for me when he was in charge was winning 9IAR, Beating Leeds Utd to qualify for Europe and getting to a UEFA cup final. And Walter running down the touchline at full pelt when Erik Bo Andersen scored against the filth at the New year, good times.

23 minutes ago, Dietspam said:

Rooney is suffering form that early start to his career now though. He's absolutely shite these days. 

Peaked too early, must be ragin as well picking that mucky horse faced cow coleen anol when he could be poundin allsorts ?

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Great man and gave us some great times, but he wasn't faultless but then who is. 

I just knew we would loose the UEFA cup final in 2008 - I was fucking raging with Smith the way we set up to play that final. Advocaat had us sussed.You just needed to watch all our games in the run up and you knew how to beat us...  

never felt so angry 

Sir Walter gave me the best feelings of my life supporting Rangers and one of the worst.

5 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I just knew we would loose the UEFA cup final in 2008 - I was fucking raging with Smith the way we set up to play that final. Advocaat had us sussed.You just needed to watch all our games in the run up and you knew how to beat us...  

never felt so angry 

Sir Walter gave me the best feelings of my life supporting Rangers and one of the worst.

Surely that's nowhere near the worst mate?

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

never felt so angry 

We set up the exact same way that had seen us through every other round.  

10 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Not getting 10 in a row was the worst.

Was on a plate for us given our resource, and he (and the players) completely blew it. 

Yup that comes close but Smith had already said he was leaving at the end of the season half way through that campaign. So it was always going to end badly