Billy Gilmour off?

Misteral

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is the only Chelsea player who has come through the youth set up lately. He has been there since 2004 and is 21 and, shock, he has never been on loan (yet ) and made 19 appearances for them.

Much as it pains me to say it, but them up the road from Bournemouth, do have a fantastic record of bringing youngsters through, you could add Alan Shearer to that list from a few years ago as well. Lallana must have been some stand out player at 12 because, when they poached/ induced him from Bournemouth, someone had the foresight to put a sell on clause which I am sure netted a 7 figure sum when he went to Liverpool.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea and Juventus where slated by the new Uefa president recently as they have nearly 80 players between them on loan elsewhere. Don't want to see him go but can understand the lure of the wages he will get for the next 3/4 years if he does go.

I don't blame him, to be honest.

It's easy for us, Joe Public, to call a move to Chelsea "daft", but I guarantee if you referred Gilmour to Islam Feruz at Chelsea, he'd claim to be better. Money will not be the only deciding factor in this, absolutely not. Gilmour has been sponsored by Adidas since 14 years-old and has generated media attention for almost a year; his head will be buzzing and his performances for our under-20s, as far as I understand, reflect that. He'll think that the sky is his limit.

Whether it's Billy Gimour or Islam Feruz, Chelsea is a once in a lifetime opportunity. John Souttar, at 16 years-old, knocked-back Roma in favour of first team football at Dundee United. He's now playing for Hearts. That is gutting. My motivation would die, if I was him. I'm not saying he would in Roma's first team, but he certainly wouldn't be kicking about Tynecastle.

I would much rather kept a hold of him, get him into the first team and sell him on for a few million years down the line.

People are saying £500,000 is good for a 15 year old, and in a sense I agree, but in reality it's a small amount of money and I think I would rather keep him because there's obvious potential there.

3 hours ago, Uncle Fester said:

He looks the most exiting prospect since Durrant if true this would be a new low....£500.000, not quite Arsenal shares scandalous but close and reeks of desperation sadly.

What reeks? Sadly their is fuck all Rangers can do if he chooses Chelsea as his 1st professional contract 

Folk mocking chelseas youth system is laughable. 

Fair enough if we were ajax, southampton or a club renowned for bringing youths through their system... But we're hardly renowned for our youth development success stories. 

Its up to the kid, ultimately its a tough choice and we should try our all, but if he goes we've made a 500k profit. 

2 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

I'm not sure what your point is? I'm not saying its for financial reasons they do it.

You have confused me, you said they develop them to sell on, if its not for financial reasons why would you do that?

Maybe if our last genuine elite youngster becomes the gaffers local assistant he can maybe give him some good advice.

It would seem by playing him the other day, getting him involved with the first team etc we are doing everything we can to keep the boy, and if he stays I would expect him to get some game time next season even at the tender age of 16.

Guess we can only hope he wants to play football.

6 hours ago, Boaby Bear said:

silly boy, he will fade into obscurity like the many Chelsea kids thus far.

Who was the last player to come through their youth system into the 1st team? 

Only really John Terry jumps out.

Bad move for him and us tbf. 

Aye and that was long before the Russians millions.  If he's gone then good luck but he'll only be farmed out on loan and then sign for Peterborough Utd or something.

4 hours ago, Uncle Fester said:

He looks the most exiting prospect since Durrant if true this would be a new low....£500.000, not quite Arsenal shares scandalous but close and reeks of desperation sadly.

Desperation how?

By the club/ Board?

I have no issue berating the Board for much of what they do. But if the stories are true, and the lad is approaching end of his contract and refusing to sign a new one, what would you want us to do?

Take the money or let him go for nothing in a few months or so time?

Nope, if all is as reported, it's the right thing to get a decent price given circumstances imo

7 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

young players, they always chase the life of golden unicorns and Rolex watches.....

He will be lost at that club if true........ sad really as he may just regret jumping so early in his fledgling career as many others have done.

Hard to turn down tho' easy at our age ( my age anyway) to say be patient - learn your trade and then move on but not easy to turn down cash, especially if you were brought up with little - perhaps a development loan move back to us is best of both worlds 

22 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Hard to turn down tho' easy at our age ( my age anyway) to say be patient - learn your trade and then move on but not easy to turn down cash, especially if you were brought up with little - perhaps a development loan move back to us is best of both worlds 

With some of the coaching methods and hammer throwers in the game up here, far less the nepotism, many a promising talent ruined. It is no coincidence there is a dearth of talent coming through in the last decade or two.

He is going to learn his trade at EPL academy royalty, rubbing shoulders with the best youth the globe have to offer and having that on his cv will give him much greater opportunities should he not break through to the Clelsea first team.

Well done to this youngster and hope he ends up with an illustrious career.

8 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Line ups, scorers, performances - anything you've got bud. 

I'm climbing the walls for Rangers games during international week! 

As far as I'm aware it was a three at the back from the other team, Bates, Kiernan and Senderos.

Garner scored a hat trick against the "starting 11".

Not sure who scored for the "starting 11" but.

6 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

With some of the coaching methods and hammer throwers in the game up here, far less the nepotism, many a promisong talent ruined. It is no coincidence there is a dearth of coming through in the last decade or two.

He is going to learn his trade at EPL academy royalty, rubbing shoulders with the best youth the globe have to offer and having that on his cv will give him much greater opportunities should he not break through to the Clelsea first team.

Well done to this youngster and hope he ends up with an illustrious career.

No disagreement from me.