Director of Football appointment is "imminent"

Broxi

Whoever it is I wish him every success.   TBH I've no idea what the measures of success would or should be for a Director of Football at Rangers, or how quickly we are to expect to see successful outcomes happening.      I still think it is beyond reasonable, acceptable explanation by King or the Board if they have let McParland join and then leave with no semblance of a scouting network in place and no foundations for an incoming DOF to build on or adjust.   If a DOF is coming in with part of the role to recruit suitable players and having to start a scouting system from scratch or near scratch then you have to ask what execs at Rangers - Robertson in particular - were playing at by allowing McParland to fly solo with no requirement to build a scouting network.

Now I may be very wrong here, and there may be a semi-built or fully-built scouting network in place for an incoming DOF to direct.   But if there were would we not know about it?  

Director of Football.   Who is he going to direct?  Who will be working for him, who are his direct reports?    I've no idea.   To me at this time its a fancy sounding title, one which is designed to impart a sense of importance, a sense of being a pivotal player in taking Rangers' football ambitions forward at pace.   But is it really more of an illusion, the creation of an appearance of progression?    It'll become clearer when the DOF is appointed and somebody from the Club then explains exactly what the job is, explains what success is to look like and explains who will be working under his direction. 

Guest Lloyd72
3 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

And our main target knocked us back, hardly his fault.

Going after 1 guy with no back up who would be available immediately was stupid and that is his fault.

3 hours ago, A.T.G said:

I mind the days when the only rumours you got were news reports or papers and you couldn't find any info at all until it was announced or you knew someone at Rangers 

Simpler times

Think we are moving back towards this, the only difference IS nowadays agents give out stories even up to the last second before deals are done hoping another club come IN with an extra Fiver for himself .

23 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

And our main target knocked us back, hardly his fault.

It's his fault if he has put all his eggs in one basket and said we are close to confirming the appointment of a DOF.

Robertson is an amateur and shouldn't have so much responsibility at our club. 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It's his fault if he has put all his eggs in one basket and said we are close to confirming the appointment of a DOF.

Inclined to agree. 

Need a better calibre to move forward progressively. Not a fucking exMotherwell diddy with no back bone. 

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

No one knows how close he actually was to signing, for all we know he could have been one signature away. 

Im not saying he's perfect but not everything that goes against us has to be a board members fault.

2 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

No one knows how close he actually was to signing, for all we know he could have been one signature away. 

Im not saying he's perfect but not everything that goes against us has to be a board members fault.

Aye but it doesn't matter how close away he was to signing, in fact I don't think he ever was close as he rejected the first offer then we made a second which he wanted more time to consider before saying no anyway.

Anything that a board member says which turns out to be bullshit then yeah it's their fault. That's part and part of the massive responsibility that comes with his role and his alleged 310k per year he get's from us. As I said he's out of his depth. 

A DOF is a waste of money for us just now, money we don't have as well.

If the DOF is to be the head of scouting, why not just say that?

British clubs are not used to having DOF, like they do on the continent, because we have club managers, rather than head coaches. Managers, generally, like to pick out players themselves, rather than a DOF, offering him a player that fits the hole they're looking to fill. These international weeks are really shit, because the rags have no stories, and just make shit up. This could be one of those situations.?

37 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Here's a wee question from the sports forum to keep us occupied while we wait.

IMG_5801.thumb.PNG.cbc6171af43d83b9047e1

Seen this last week...there isn't a perfect answer, spent ages looking at it :lol:

Closest you can get is Rivaldo but only because Mourinho was assistant at Barca at the time or Julio Cesar because he won the youth world cup...