John Fleck

I've a mate who follows Sheffield United and he raves about him, makes them tick apparently.  Not seen him at all to be honest, but my mate is a decent judge of a footballer.  Fleck was always a player I had a soft spot for when he was coming through the ranks and was disappointed when he lost his way.  Seemed to do okay at Coventry finally being awarded their Player of the Year last season, now playing a starring role for Sheffield United, top of Division 1 and shortlisted for the divisional Player of the Year.  

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-billy-sharp-and-john-fleck-on-shortlist-for-efl-s-league-one-player-of-the-year-award-1-8461143

Seems to be, at last, maturing into a quality player, and at 25, his best years should still be ahead of him.  Is it time to bring him back??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the SPFL is of a shite standard, some players just can't hack it playing for a club of our size. 

The likes of Fleck and Kane Hemmings are good examples. Both were underwhelming when playing for us but now they're doing well at smaller clubs playing at the same playing level or arguably better.

I remember Hemmings having a shocker at Ibrox against Stirling Albion in the 3rd division, then was banging them in down south in League 1 a year later.

I only asked a question based on something a mate (a Sheffield Utd fan) said to me, someone who's watched a lot of him this season.  Perhaps the pressure of playing for us and the hype that went around him as a youngster distracted him or perhaps he couldn't cope.  He was very young and immature, so it's not inconceivable that he's now matured and is a responsible professional.  

His quality is being recognised, albeit in the third tier in England, but in the main most teams in that Division would be top six in ours.  I don't deny I can't comment on his current playing standard through having watched him play, but if his performances are standing out at that level and it's being recognised with POTY awards (and also based on a fan's view) then maybe, just maybe, he's developing into the kind of player his early promise showed?

From most of the comments above, it seems most are dismissing him because of what he couldn't handle as a 16/17 year old and haven't seen him play since.  Anyone with an informed view?

People keep talking about this 'hype' with Fleck. I honestly can't remember talking with anybody and them telling me "he's outstanding" "he's our next star" or even "he's half decent". I remember one goal against Dundee United and even then no one went overboard. 

On 30/03/2017 at 4:40 PM, Thermopylae said:

Another one who chucked away his talent 

To a certain extent yeah but he's only 24. Think he was badly managed and overhyped. 

Never good enough at 16 and was thrown in at the deep end.

Looks like he's having a solid career now so good luck to him

On 30/03/2017 at 1:31 PM, Copland bear said:

Was over hyped and pish then, and he's pish now..

We have as good if not better than him as it is and that takes some doing considering we are not exactly flying this season

Many games you been down to this season? You a ST holder at Bramell Lane or just a regular whenever you can get down?

19 minutes ago, wullyRFC said:

Many games you been down to this season? You a ST holder at Bramell Lane or just a regular whenever you can get down?

Where?   He was meant to be the next big thing ffs, I never ever bought into his hype, average player at best and no better than say a Charlie Miller 

Just now, wullyRFC said:

Thought as much.

Wully, I never really rated him much with us, I thought everything was blown out of all proportions. , glad to see the guy get his career back on track, but his uncle Robert was some player and wish we had kept him longer.

On 30/03/2017 at 3:52 PM, coopsleftboot said:

From most of the comments above, it seems most are dismissing him because of what he couldn't handle as a 16/17 year old and haven't seen him play since.  Anyone with an informed view?

He's been class this season and should probably win the league's PoTY. Him or Sharp imo.

It all depends on how you view League One and here, really. I'm of the belief that he could hold his own in this team but he's not the sort of signing that would set the heather alight, nor is he someone I would say is a signing that we should be making if we are to challenge for the league next year. He might have a superb season in the Championship next year (surely United can't even fuck this up :duh:) and make me eat my words and I hope he does.

Blades are my English side, btw.