Video Review in Football

Anyone see it in the France Spain game last night. Wee Griezmann scored and the review was done and we was marginally offside, goal disallowed. 

Other end for Spain, think it was Delofeue scored but was flagged off at the time and then reviewed and awarded the goal. 

Clock doesn't stop and it probably only took 10-20 seconds for each incident to be reviewed. 

I think it will be a good thing for the game 

Listening to Paul Ince and the commentary team greeting about it was embarrassing. Some of the shite they were coming out with made so little sense it was hard to believe that they were saying it. 

All in all, if it means correct decisions are made where otherwise wrong ones would have been, it's a good thing. Does take some of the talking points away from the game though. People like to be able to greet about bad decisions in football.

I'm in 2 minds, rugby have it spot on but its a different game.  In theory, no brainer, but will it work in every game?  interesting that it seemed to work very well in this game and 2 big wrong decisions were corrected quickly.

is it the fa cup in england trialing it next year? be interesting to see how they get on with it.

where does it stop, doing it for offside goals now, but then what, all it takes is a few major teams complaining that the ball went out for a corner or not and eventually it will be trialed for that

football has already become boring as fuck now with the money monopolising big tournaments, take away debatable calls and they'll be fuck all worth discussing after games anymore

9 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Make sure only good, staunch Presbyterian folk get the jobs in the review room, as once they did in the shipyards :pipe:

Brother Madden has already called a meeting regarding this issue for early next week so I'm hearing :happy:

I do think football has to grow with technology. I genuinely don't know why we cant have an official sitting in a room watching a telly. If the ref has to make a difficult call and get's it wrong the 'tv assistant" can let him know from watching replays. It would take 10 seconds like the OP was mentioning. If a decision needed overturned, like a wrongly given pen for example, the game could restart with a drop ball. I don't think it's fair refs get one look at it and we get up sometimes 10 to 15 looks at it.

12 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

I do think football has to grow with technology. I genuinely don't know why we cant have an official sitting in a room watching a telly. If the ref has to make a difficult call and get's it wrong the 'tv assistant" can let him know from watching replays. It would take 10 seconds like the OP was mentioning. If a decision needed overturned, like a wrongly given pen for example, the game could restart with a drop ball. I don't think it's fair refs get one look at it and we get up sometimes 10 to 15 looks at it.

24 minutes ago, Misteral said:

I think it's probably a good thing but the clock should be stopped or 30 seconds added for each incident to whatever additional time was going to be allotted. 

So what if a team turns defence into attack and the opposition ask for a video review of a tackle in the box, then the counter attack is stopped

20 hours ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Didn't like it tbh , bad calls are part of the game , felt like Spain's second took ages to be decided , I don't really like change though but suppose I would get used to it , I think they will introduce it in the next couple of year though 

Wait 30 seconds then celebrate. Had a strange feel to it.

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So what if a team turns defence into attack and the opposition ask for a video review of a tackle in the box, then the counter attack is stopped

It's not their call. Only the referee or the TV assistant can suggest another look at an incident.

The game is over-analysed to fuck these days. These TV companies giving ex-players who can't string a proper sentence together millions of pounds to sit and talk absolute garbage has ruined it. 

Let's say a goal gets wrongfully disallowed, the manager of the team who scored it comes out post-match and he's raging, "We could have had all three points blah blah..." the reporter sees an opportunity and asks "So are you in favour of video review?" Of course he's going to say he is at the time, he's still raging.

Then say a few weeks later, video review is now being used and they score a goal which the referee gives at the time but it gets reviewed on the sideline and then gets chopped off. The same manager in his post-match interview is going to be raging again, he's now going to be against video reviewing incidents. You get my point..

It all stems from people being angry at decisions going against them, you don't see managers or fans complaining about the decisions going for them when they shouldn't. It's all part of the game, decisions even themselves out they say, but not anymore if this shite comes in. Honestly football is getting unbearable these days.

Not a fan. Where does it stop? Say a team scores but there was a foul on the other team 15 seconds earlier in the other half, do you go back and check?

The goal line technology is great but this opens up a can of worms and would slow the game down too much. 

11 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

Not a fan. Where does it stop? Say a team scores but there was a foul on the other team 15 seconds earlier in the other half, do you go back and check?

The goal line technology is great but this opens up a can of worms and would slow the game down too much. 

Limit it to decisions about goals and penalties and the decision to have another look to be implemented within say 5 seconds?

8 minutes ago, Misteral said:

Limit it to decisions about goals and penalties and the decision to have another look to be implemented within say 5 seconds?

As an example though. Clint hills tackle against the papes. I've seen it from 4 or 5 angles and genuinely can't decide if it's a pk or not. Where does something like that come.into it? How long of a delay do we have till the person decides? What if there are two folk watching it and they can't decide the outcome?

it's a clusterfuck