European football

In light of Pedro's comments about only getting 10 days holidays, it gave me a sense of excitement. European football!

It will be totally different this time as our players are mostly untested on the continent so how do yoy think we will fare? In the back of my mind is how the rest of the Scottish teams embarrass scottish football but I have a feeling we will give a good account of ourselves.

What do you all think will happen and what is a realistic expectation?

We are Rangers as a club, but not as a squad 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Knock stages at least and with a wee bit of good fortune who knows how far we could go. Funnily enough, the SFA are bidding, along with 5 other nations, to host it so no doubt if we get to the final and they cunts host it in 2019 the away end will be full of fenians (just for a change of course).  

Need to start building a squad for Europe first, I would say Rossiter for certain has European quality (so long as he comes back a decent player) given that he got into the England Squad at various age groups with good success. Hyndman if we could keep him would be another. Wes looks to be a pretty capable keeper but would need to stay alert and would need a drastically better defensive line in front of him. Hodsons played at international level a few times as well so i'd be confident in his experience.

So right now I'd say out of our full squad we've got 3/4 players I'd say would be at least capable European level. The rest would need improvement to an extent.

Defence - Needs revamped. Wallace, Tav and Hodson are decent but they would need to commit defensively a lot or get communication sorted. Hill is the only CB that fills me with decent confidence 

Midfield - Would need some good aggressive ball winners as well as play makers. If we could get another 2 players like Hyndman, another player like Holt and Toral except more sharp as well as a replacement for Rossiter It'd be pretty good. 

Forwards - Waghorn would need to finish as with Garner. McKay and O'halloran need to get consistent good games as well as crosses in. Miller would be good experience wise but may be too old for it. 

With a few good players added to the team and Pedro's more realistic but still aggressive approach, I'm hoping we make the group stages if we avoid the biggest seeds in the qualifiers.

Here's hoping as a wee European run would go down well after all these years of shit.

5 hours ago, bluenose1975 said:

Knock stages at least and with a wee bit of good fortune who knows how far we could go. Funnily enough, the SFA are bidding, along with 5 other nations, to host it so no doubt if we get to the final and they cunts host it in 2019 the away end will be full of fenians (just for a change of course).  

I've woke up in a different universe.

Is this guy discussing the possibility of getting to a final in a European competition in the next 2 years? 

5 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Need to start building a squad for Europe first, I would say Rossiter for certain has European quality (so long as he comes back a decent player) given that he got into the England Squad at various age groups with good success. Hyndman if we could keep him would be another. Wes looks to be a pretty capable keeper but would need to stay alert and would need a drastically better defensive line in front of him. Hodsons played at international level a few times as well so i'd be confident in his experience.

So right now I'd say out of our full squad we've got 3/4 players I'd say would be at least capable European level. The rest would need improvement to an extent.

Defence - Needs revamped. Wallace, Tav and Hodson are decent but they would need to commit defensively a lot or get communication sorted. Hill is the only CB that fills me with decent confidence 

Midfield - Would need some good aggressive ball winners as well as play makers. If we could get another 2 players like Hyndman, another player like Holt and Toral except more sharp as well as a replacement for Rossiter It'd be pretty good. 

Forwards - Waghorn would need to finish as with Garner. McKay and O'halloran need to get consistent good games as well as crosses in. Miller would be good experience wise but may be too old for it. 

so we need 9 players

5 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Knocked out in the 2nd round of qualifiers. 

Of course we will have to see what money we have to strengthen in the summer, if we can get 3/4 good players to add to the starting line up then maybe with a bit of luck we could reach the groups

I think we can only add players after the first round of games. Sadly for Pedro this may come to soon.

I don't see us going much further than 3rd qual round 

10 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Never say never in European football. Far worse teams than even ours right now have made the groups.  Just need luck in the draw. 

It comes down to this and how good Pedro is with our existing players. We are unlikely to sign anyone that will make a difference as the chances of signing good players this early in the window you are match fit is very slim. With the current squad 4th qualifying would be a good achievement right now.

Guest Lloyd72

Depends wether we win the Scottish cup or not, if we win the cup we go in at the second qualifying round which would help as we could get some players in by then, if we go into the first round with the squad we have I wouldn't be optimistic