Old Hampden Picture

Here's some better perspective which shows the North Stand would have been built above the back section of terracing. 

SPW019491.jpg

hampdenpast3.jpg

And here's the completed stadium which was specially designed to ensure the tims would get an occasional wash. 

Hampden2.jpg

Never actually sat in the old North Stand at Hampden.

Was in the cellic end for Scotland's 2-1 win over Czechoslovakia that took us to the World Cup finals. only tickets I could get at the time. 

Then was in the cellic side of the big North terracing for a friendly against Argentina when Maradona scored his first magnificent international goal, and in the Rangers end of the North terracing during the Old Firm riot final, right beside the bheasts. And skipped in with my mates from the Rangers end through the side entrance of the enclosure, then climbed up in to the Stand for a game where George Best was outstanding against Scotland and I think Northern Ireland won. 

Every other cup semi or final, Scotland international or even the European cup final I was in the Gers end. 

4 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

Sometimes wish I was an auld yin, just so I could have been to some of those games.

Jealous. :angrywillie:

The 126,000+ attended 1973 cup final is one of my life experiences I know I will never surpass. 

I feel there are some terific "Old Firm" experiences not too far away though, starting with Sunday..........

4 minutes ago, tannerall said:

The 126,000 attended 1973 cup final is one of my life experiences I know I will never surpass. 

I feel there are some terific "Old Firm" experiences not too far away though, starting with Sunday..........

I was just editing my post to include the sheer numbers involved. I visited the Nou Camp as a nipper in the late 80s but old Hampden is just something else.

127,621 at the 1960 European final... And that's not even the record. :confused: It truly was the home of football back then.

PS - still jealous(!)

The first game I remember seeing at Hampden was in 1975 as a 8 year old boy when Scotland beat Northern Ireland 3 nil,not sure what the crowd was but I think the capacity was reduced to about 80,000 by then.

The main thing I remember about the game was being chuffed at Derek Parlane getting the third goal 

Happy days:happy:

5 hours ago, tannerall said:

Here's some better perspective which shows the North Stand would have been built above the back section of terracing. 

SPW019491.jpg

hampdenpast3.jpg

And here's the completed stadium which was specially designed to ensure the tims would get an occasional wash. 

Hampden2.jpg

and we would be showered with dust and soot when we scored

4 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

Probably only the Maracana could stake a valid claim to have rivalled the auld arena back in the day.

been in both before they were both done up so to speak....one thing they did have in common was they were both deathtraps

1 hour ago, bluedylan said:

been in both before they were both done up so to speak....one thing they did have in common was they were both deathtraps

Was thinking that earlier and rememberting there was no actual stewarding inside the stadium. 

After the celebrations for Forsyth's goal in the cup final I was at least 40 yards further down and away to the right from where I'd been. The crowd just swept you around anywhere in the bedlam following an old firm goal. Was even more difficult if you still had some of the carry out to hold on to. 

2 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Was thinking that earlier and rememberting there was no actual stewarding inside the stadium. 

After the celebrations for Forsyth's goal in the cup final I was at least 40 yards further down and away to the right from where I'd been. The crowd just swept you around anywhere in the bedlam following an old firm goal. Was even more difficult if you still had some of the carry out to hold on to. 

i can remember a game maybe around 75 season when Rangers scored I ended up about 50 yards from my dad....his mate lost his wig!

My  first game was as a 8 year old in the league cup final 1978-79 season, we were one down to the sheep and we scored 2 late on ,Wee Alex MacDonald  then bomber Jackson popped up with the winner near the end , could even have been injury time. .

Standing in Gers end facing the tunnel behind a big fence.  

Anyone  remember a certain Billy Urguhart? He was  our No9 that day. Was an absolute shite hole as I stood facing the tunnel 10 yards from the half way line in the Rangers end and compared to the Copland rd stand what had just been opened it was an utter shite hole. 

12 hours ago, tannerall said:

My fav Rangers goal and my fav Rangers player and I was only 3 ?, I loved jaws and 4 was my favourite number winning the grand national in 1975 with L' escargot. Loved Jaws then it was No 8 Bobby Russell.

Jelavic goal against the scum was similar and at the same end, was about 10 seats from the split with the beggers when that went in but big Tam's as my da said he would have missed it had his studs were not so long ?

Even called my cat Tam :mutley:

My first experience at Hampden was the Under 16 World Cup in 1989. Was sat in the South Stand.

It was a great tournament, that. Some really good crowds, helped by Scotland doing really well.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:50 PM, bluedylan said:

Aye, daresay Health & Safety probably wasn't very much of a thing back then.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:46 PM, harlands plater said:

Considering the money spent on it a few years ago, three quarters of it hasn't changed much. A national disgrace.

Oh, it has changed an awful lot. It's shit now.

The money they spunked on it was a national disgrace though. Hampden deserved better and still deserves better than the coprophagic ne'er-do-wells that reside on the 6th floor.

12 hours ago, Inigo said:

My first experience at Hampden was the Under 16 World Cup in 1989. Was sat in the South Stand.

It was a great tournament, that. Some really good crowds, helped by Scotland doing really well.

What a tournament. Got to see two games on one ticket, one immediately after the other. Scotland v Ghana and Bahrain v Cuba was my first foray.

I am still waiting for those players to make their breakthrough and become household names:

Kevin McGoldrick, Jim Will, Kevin Bain... David Hagen... :unsure: Gary Bollan... :panic:

It's just a pity the Saudis brought their Legends team to play in the final. Over 50,000 at an U16s game. :confused: