Neil McCann back in football

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So what's the excuse for the following season when he was number two to Potter (who got sacked) long after they'd come out of Admin? Surely such a superstar coach would have been able to improve League One players on full-time wages playing against part-timers? 

You're hilarious. What an irrational argument! So by your logic, Finland have won only once in their five games since JJ has been involved. If he's such a superstar coach why haven't they won all five?! 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, rangersmad86 said:

You're hilarious. What an irrational argument! So by your logic, Finland have won only once in their five games since JJ has been involved. If he's such a superstar coach why haven't they won all five?! 

Why haven't Finland beaten Croatia, Iceland and the Ukraine? I can only wonder. I can only guess as to why a team ranked 97th in the world couldn't beat teams in the top 25. 

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Why haven't Finland beaten Croatia, Iceland and the Ukraine? I can only wonder. I can only guess as to why a team ranked 97th in the world couldn't beat teams in the top 25. 

But but but he's a superstar coach?! And once again you've got your facts wrong, they teams they've not beaten have been Ukraine, Austria, Turkey and Slovenia in last five games. The only one of those in the top 25 is Turkey ??

8 minutes ago, rangersmad86 said:

But but but he's a superstar coach?! And once again you've got your facts wrong, they teams they've not beaten have been Ukraine, Austria, Turkey and Slovenia in last five games. The only one of those in the top 25 is Turkey ??

According to google...

IMG_2193.PNG

I'll bring this thread back!!

Good luck to the guy, hope he does well but I also wonder whether we've missed a trick in not bringing him back in some capacity.

I will definitely miss him on telly tho. Great pundit and one of the few worth listening to.

2 hours ago, DW1872 said:

Good luck to the guy, hope he does well but I also wonder whether we've missed a trick in not bringing him back in some capacity.

I will definitely miss him on telly tho. Great pundit and one of the few worth listening to.

Bring it back to what every cunt is arguing about :lol:

11 hours ago, rangersmad86 said:

Nothing to say he can't coach, why should being an ex player and all of the aforementioned automatically exclude you? Just because it hasn't worked in the recent past, doesn't mean it should be out of the question! Were Sounness and Smith (not an ex player granted, but fits the rest of the mould) unsuccessful? 

There's nothing to suggest he can coach which is my point.  He needs to prove himself at a smaller club first.

Also, I never said being a former player, or having a love for the club, should exclude someone from becoming a coach.  I said being a former player, or loving the club, weren't proof of coaching ability and McCoist and Weir are evidence of that.

Did Souness and Walter have coaching experience prior to joining Rangers?  I honestly don't know but if they did you're proving my point for me.

2 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

There's nothing to suggest he can coach which is my point.  He needs to prove himself at a smaller club first.

Also, I never said being a former player, or having a love for the club, should exclude someone from becoming a coach.  I said being a former player, or loving the club, weren't proof of coaching ability and McCoist and Weir are evidence of that.

Did Souness and Walter have coaching experience prior to joining Rangers?  I honestly don't know but if they did you're proving my point for me.

Walter had quite a bit of coaching experience at Dundee Utd under Jim McLean. I'm not aware of any coaching experience that Souness had prior to joining us.

Mind you Souness wasn't brought aboard because he was a top coach it was for his name and his attraction to top international players outside Scotland. He was the catalyst to kick-start the revolution. His appointment was the brainchild of the then chief executive David Holmes. Also remember he started as player-manager, so not only were we getting a man to spearhead the rebuilding and rebranding of the club we were also getting a truly world class player albeit at the end of his career.

David Holmes was a very smart canny man with a vision and a guy who's significant role in our history is most often overlooked, airbrushed out by the subsequent David Murray regime, which is a scandal imho. I'm betting many fans under 30 years old have never even heard of David Holmes.

I agree with your main argument btw, being an ex player or fan shouldn't exclude someone from being a coach or manager but it should be a bonus and not a qualification.

On 4/18/2017 at 5:54 PM, Blue Avenger said:

Let's hope he's next in line for our job when we get a proper Chairman in after Pedro takes the rap for being out of the title race by xmas with no budget and king has been hunted for his continued corporate malfeasance.

The club was on it's knees being raped by monsters lead by the odious Mike Ashley before King and and co came to the rescue...Would you like to return to that situation? Or are just on the "Let's hate King " for not spending his own money on Rangers trip?

5 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

The club was on it's knees being raped by monsters lead by the odious Mike Ashley before King and and co came to the rescue...Would you like to return to that situation? Or are just on the "Let's hate King " for not spending his own money on Rangers trip?

WTF you on about? King's a saviour. Absolute blithering pish.

13 hours ago, DW1872 said:

I think he's an intelligent analyst and clearly has a good understanding of the game. However, I think JJ is a good appointment for what Pedro was looking for, and I'm not sure if McCann would have been interested in that. 

If he does well at Dundee and continues in management then we might yet see him back at Ibrox one day. 

2 hours ago, Aubie92 said:

I think he's an intelligent analyst and clearly has a good understanding of the game. However, I think JJ is a good appointment for what Pedro was looking for, and I'm not sure if McCann would have been interested in that. 

If he does well at Dundee and continues in management then we might yet see him back at Ibrox one day. 

I think the no. 3 slot isn't big emough for him anyway. Wish him the best of luck and hope he has success and we may get the fruits of his labour at some point in the future.

In the meantime we are faced with the bigoted blithering pish that remains on the box.

38 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I think the no. 3 slot isn't big emough for him anyway. Wish him the best of luck and hope he has success and we may get the fruits of his labour at some point in the future.

In the meantime we are faced with the bigoted blithering pish that remains on the box.

Yeah, for McCann it'd mean giving up his punditry work for a position at Ibrox without a lot of responsibility, and he doesn't seem the type to want that. With JJ it's career progression, as he's going from coaching youth teams to working alongside a respected coach, scouting teams etc. 

I'm optimistic about our management team in general, even though I think it'll take more than one transfer window for him to shape his own team. Pedro hasn't culled staff for the sake of it, and he's specifically  sought out a coach with an affection for Rangers and who is in touch with the Scottish game - right off the bat it seems like he doesn't think he's bigger than the club. (I know Stewart going bothered some, but he was leaving at the end of the season, and I think it made sense for Pedro to bring his own man in. Even then, it seems like he spoke to Stewart about his intentions first.)

7 hours ago, Aubie92 said:

That's true, I'm not sure whether the coach position would have tempted him. Hopefully we will see him back at Ibrox one day in a more prominent position.

I also think that JJ is a good choice and didn't mean that I'd have preferred someone else. I think some other candidates (Barry for example) would have taken up too many column inches for what Pedro was looking for.

20 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

That's true, I'm not sure whether the coach position would have tempted him. Hopefully we will see him back at Ibrox one day in a more prominent position.

I also think that JJ is a good choice and didn't mean that I'd have preferred someone else. I think some other candidates (Barry for example) would have taken up too many column inches for what Pedro was looking for.

That and Bazza and Rae both have a pal in a field up north who wanted Pedro's job in the first place, so it was a smart idea on Pedro's part to appoint someone else.