Old Firm preparations - will our children do the same?

2 out of my 3 boys are Rangers daft and prepare in a good staunch manner, but I took the oldest to pre-season to see big Lorenzo appear for the first time and he's only been back a few times since. Still a Blue-nose though. Wife has followed them for 40-odd years, me too. My old Auntie is in her 90's and can still tell you the team every Saturday. It's the parenting don't you know. 

:crabflute:

36 minutes ago, teddybears1872 said:

Take my kid to Football training "Under 10s"  Barely see a kid with any Scottish club kit on, Normally they wear colour vests for teams,But now its Man U V Barcelona, Real Madrid V Chelsea etc, The talk is all Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney. I grew up on pitches full of Rangers and Celtic tops,Those days are long gone, Kids seem to find Scottish football Boring. My kids watch Rangers Games with there friends but I just don't see the passion I grew up with anymore.My Daughter "11" is desperate to go to a Liverpool game, No idea why as there is absolutely no Liverpool connections in my Family, For some reason they seem more appealing. 

When I was a wee guy( about 15 years ago)  a lot of the football teams told you not to wear OF tops to training etc. They were banned at school and stuff aswell. Not sure if that's still the case but it  definitely won't help the situation 

Met the girlfriend six years ago, her boy has a thing for Chelsea, but within a few months a was taking him over to Ibrox on my spare weekend off,that was when he was eight, fourteen now and has been with his pals a few times,but he's beginning to take in about what a tell him about our culture,the different flags,the Ulster connection, the Poppy and Army, he's starting to listen to the words of songs when a take him over to the Wee Rangers Club or a have a CD on in the car,and he's actually beginning to ask when my next parade is,can he come and walk with me,a love it, not my own boy by bloodline but he said he wouldn't have it any other way.

I

8 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

My boy's coming up for 8. He's starting to get more into the football and hates them already but I dread the day he starts getting as nervous as I do over these games.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

This

you've got the fear all week leading up to the game, you can't enjoy it during it, unless we're winning obviously, it's not until the games finished and we've won it that you can relax!

Glasgow starts changing from about 2 weeks to go - from a slight rumble and it progresses to a few people talking of it, then the taxi drivers start talking of it, then everyone's talking of it.  By the time it comes to days, 3, 2, 1, 0 it is absolute fever pitch.

Love it - best place in the world on OF week.

WATP - FTP

5 hours ago, Ryju84 said:

My daughter shows no interest in football, and I don't really mind. But it's not always the parents that teaches them. It is peers, friends and in the school playground (and yes, that includes certain schools where they indoctrinate one religion and way of thinking only). 

On that note, the first person who taught me the words to the Billy Boys was when I was 9, and he was 13. He had a slight speech impediment. 

For years, until I went to secondary school, I thought the song was the Burly Boys.... :dunno:

:matron:

Did all the right things as a young dad - bought the scarves, strips, played the songs at home.  My two sons and daughter were duly enrolled in the local "soccer" league and my wife and I went to every game.  All have been at Ibrox for games and tours.  And guess what?  My  sons preferred playing music, the younger one has done really well in ballroom dancing and my daughter ran track all the way through college.  When they visit, they ask me how "the Rangers" are doing?  Maybe if they'd been raised in Larkhall or Bridgeton it may well have been a different story.  

I brought my daughters to matches when they were younger but football really doesn't interest them but they know not too bring green into the house and as for bringing a fucking taig to the house now that would create a  murder

Everything changes and the world is becoming smaller all the time which unfortunately means that youngsters will probably identify more with a team in madrid or barcelona on the telly than one just down the road. The only thing I would say is the older people get the more they understand the importance of history to the world around us and perhaps when kids fully grow up many of them will begin to realise that their forebeas were onto something with the famous Glasgow Rangers