Zonal Marking

Guest Lloyd72

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, bluchoo said:

Our problems run much deeper than zonal marking

This is becoming a bit of a catchphrase on here and it's irritating as fuck.

Any thread highlighting a problem there's always some apathetic cunt telling us that we have bigger problems or more important matters. It's the same on the Foderingham thread, people saying there's worse players than him.

We know ffs! It doesn't mean we should just ignore the rest of the clear issues we have.

2 hours ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

Dont think we have conceeded ftom a corner since pedro took over , I am not a fan of the zonal nonsense. 

Lost nearly every ball in the box yesterday. Lets them run right at the goal. 

Still scunnered from yesterday so fuck zonal marking.

Motherwell goal came from a corner and they could have scored more

2 hours ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

Dont think we have conceeded ftom a corner since pedro took over , I am not a fan of the zonal nonsense. 

Lost nearly every ball in the box yesterday. Lets them run right at the goal. 

Still scunnered from yesterday so fuck zonal marking.

We were lucky they never scored from them yesterday. Free headers all over the place.

Zonal marking is one of those things that look good on paper but is a 20 car pile up in practice.

Just look at a guy and say to yourself "Right, that cunt is going nowhere without my permission". 

At the same time man marking as it's issues too but it's a lot better than "that guy is 2ft away from me, it's such n suches problem now" 

10 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

This is becoming a bit of a catchphrase on here and it's irritating as fuck.

Any thread highlighting a problem there's always some apathetic cunt telling us that we have bigger problems or more important matters. It's the same on the Foderingham thread, people saying there's worse players than him.

We know ffs! It doesn't mean we should just ignore the rest of the clear issues we have.

We have bigger problems and more important matters to discuss than your piss poor attempt at gaining a few likes.

If you think man marking with the squad and players we have would have made any difference on sunday, then il throw another "catchphrase" from here at you....deluded!!

2 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

We have bigger problems and more important matters to discuss than your piss poor attempt at gaining a few likes.

If you think man marking with the squad and players we have would have made any difference on sunday, then il throw another "catchphrase" from here at you....deluded!!

I don't give a fuck about likes mate. I was stating a fact.

Just because we have bigger problems doesn't mean we can't complain about anything else.

8 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

If you don't want to discuss a certaint point it's quite easy to ignore a thread and leave it to people who do.

If you only wanted to discuss the more important things we'd have about 3 threads.

The other thing to note, whether you like zonal marking or not, our defensive record has been much improved by the new manager.

I was talking to someone about this today, i think everyone agrees that we're not agressive enough at attacking the ball in these situations, no matter the marking system, but we've actually got a pretty small team so maybe the manager has gone for it as we can't match most teams for physicality so going zonal let's our couple of bigger players always have a chance of being involved... Just a thought

3 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

The other thing to note, whether you like zonal marking or not, our defensive record has been much improved by the new manager.

I was talking to someone about this today, i think everyone agrees that we're not agressive enough at attacking the ball in these situations, no matter the marking system, but we've actually got a pretty small team so maybe the manager has gone for it as we can't match most teams for physicality so going zonal let's our couple of bigger players always have a chance of being involved... Just a thought

One of our main problems is the size and lack of physicality of our team. 

Anticipation is the system. Defenders know who the likely target men are get between them and the goal or push them onto the goal line and keep them there. Watch the movement of players in the box and block them off.

We stand there like stookie dummies and wait for the ball to find its target and then try and defend it. Rubbish.

I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I think I favour man marking but that's probably just because it's what I'm more familiar with. Jamie Carragher said something I agree with about it though

“I'm sick of hearing people talking about zonal marking, I hear the same thing every time the ball goes in,” said Carragher. “But when a same goal goes in against man marking we don’t blame the system, we blame the player." and "Why is it that people won't blame man marking as a system? Because it's easier to say, 'Oh it's his fault, so it's okay’.

I agree that the failure comes down to the players not executing the system properly and not taking responsibility but then there is an argument that if you don't have the players to play that system maybe you shouldn't be playing it. 

I think if it's the system Pedro is going to use going forward then it makes sense to see which of our current players can adapt to it and be worth keeping moving forward and then we can bring in players to replace the ones who cant. 

11 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

How will that one pan out if the opposition put 3 big players in one zone against our one, whilst 2 others stand nearby thanking fuck it's not them under pressure?

2 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

How will that one pan out if the opposition put 3 big players in one zone against our one, whilst 2 others stand nearby thanking fuck it's not them under pressure?

that's the issue, we don't have many that can compete if the opposition have big players, so if they are in a zone rather than trailing a big fucker around, they can attack the ball no matter which one of their players it's aimed for - the reality is we don't have anyone commanding enough, but we've known that since ally's days.

If the opposition have three big players and we man mark them, all they have to do is drag our big guys out of where the ball is going and they've got their other tall players being marked by lightweights