Joe Garner

BridgeIsBlue

Sometimes when you get no service you have to make things happen with moments of genuine quality and for the best part of £2 million quid in Scottish football a player should have that in him. Garner does not.

He's a work horse who enjoys a scrap, his goal to game ratio is poor, his technique is average while his effort and desire are not. Sadly we need a total package when spending that amount and because of the price tag fans will always feel Garner has been a failure and waste of money. 

I don't blame Garner at all, he is what he is and he didn't put that price on himself or pay the money. We can't expect him to turn into a goal scoring machine when at Championship level down south he was badly struggling.

We are badly lacking in the striking options with a 36/37 year old Miller still being our best striker. Waghorn is brutal as he get's chances all the time but fluffs 99% of them while Garner doesn't have the pace or skill to get into the positions needed. Dodoo seems to work better from wide and not seen enough of him but still not a 20-25 goal a season striker.

In the summer we require probably 2 strikers with one being able to hit 20 odd goals and that won't come cheap or easy...especially when we need to improve just about every area of the squad.

It's painful reading but it's the way it is just now. 

He was a strange buy. A small target man bought for a team that didnt want to play with target men .  His control is poor yet bought for a team that tried to walk the ball into the net playing tippy tappy football. 

I honestly think he was bought on the basis of that sky clip.

The drossest of dross.

5 hours ago, hemdale1873 said:

Garner as a footballer is shocking.

No pace & no skill all he does is roll around on his arse most of the time and win the odd flick on.

I don't expect Messi for £1.8m but I would expect for paying out that kind of money at least 15-20 goals per season return in the pishy SPFL.

He sums up everything wrong with MW summer signings.

I second that - I don't expect Messi für 1.8m but i would expect someone like ... like ... Rod Wallace for example.

1 hour ago, pcbear said:

I think he had been tranquillised, just when you needed a battling in your face performance he done fuck all which was exactly the same as Waghorn, he must have tossed a coin at half time to hook one of them.

He couldn't rise to the occasion as it's too big for him. The only thing I would expect him to do in an Old Firm game is to wallop one of that lot, but he couldn't even do that. 

I don't blame him for what we paid for him, I don't blame him that he doesn't suit how we play, and I don't hold his limitations as a player against him. What I do hold against him is that he likes to wallop opposition players, yet rolls around like Lafferty if someone touches him - and is a passenger during the big games. 

56 minutes ago, viennacalling said:

I second that - I don't expect Messi für 1.8m but i would expect someone like ... like ... Rod Wallace for example.

In fairness, Wallace was a proven Premier League striker, and won the top flight with Leeds United. You'd never get someone like him in today's market for what we paid for Garner. 

But there were better options out there. Fuck, for what we paid we could have bought Hemmings & Stewart from Dundee. They're not top class, granted, but at least they scored 30 goals between them in the top flight last season. 

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

He was a strange buy. A small target man bought for a team that didnt want to play with target men .  His control is poor yet bought for a team that tried to walk the ball into the net playing tippy tappy football. 

I honestly think he was bought on the basis of that sky clip.

The drossest of dross.

Apart from the last couple of lines I agree.

As good as he was in League 1 for Preston, he was never going to work into the way we play and that made him a stupid buy.

2 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

In fairness, Wallace was a proven Premier League striker, and won the top flight with Leeds United. You'd never get someone like him in today's market for what we paid for Garner. 

But there were better options out there. Fuck, for what we paid we could have bought Hemmings & Stewart from Dundee. They're not top class, granted, but at least they scored 30 goals between them in the top flight last season. 

I think thats a fair point. There was criticism when were linked with those players previously, in terms of lack of ambition etc. I think they would have done a job for us given we were not playing European football and had a proven scoring record in Scotland. Garner has always had a poor record and should not have been signed. Running around and showing effort does not make you a good player. It is least that should be expected. He is not a good footballer.  

19 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

I think thats a fair point. There was criticism when were linked with those players previously, in terms of lack of ambition etc. I think they would have done a job for us given we were not playing European football and had a proven scoring record in Scotland. Garner has always had a poor record and should not have been signed. Running around and showing effort does not make you a good player. It is least that should be expected. He is not a good footballer.  

Both were making noises about wanting the move too, and I think both would have been well aware of what it means to play for us. And we don't have enough players who seem to understand that. 

5 hours ago, Dado'sMulls said:

The cunt stood ten yards off their centre halfs at all times, no pressing, no workrate, nothing. He's a dreadful player and that's before you give him the ball.

I assume that was the instructions he was given. The whole team sat 30 yards deeper than normal. 

Also, while I whole heartedly agree he isn't good enough, we don't exactly give him great service. He's very good in the air for his size and we barely get a cross in the box.