Wee Wullie Henderson tells it as it is

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, danger ranger said:

You would need to be prepared to lose up to 15 million to assemble a good squad, taking in to consideration bad signings, getting rid of current players and also an inflated wage bill. I can understand what you are saying but in reality the final figure would be a lot higher.

I think WH is basically tell Kingco, that if they are not prepared to invest then they need to go, as it is never going to get any better.

That's why I'm saying spent wisely. 

All we've heard since 2011 is pish about signings need to have the right mentality to play for Rangers, signings capable of winning us a major trophy, signings who need to fit the right character profile/s to play for Rangers, signings that our scouts who work so hard present to us (Neil Murray era) ... when in reality it's all fucking bollocks. Just about every single bad signing, when we've been linked with them or when they sign most of us have voiced concerns and they've been right.

There's no-one at the club I trust right now to finally buck the trend and help us get it right - manager, coaches, youth set-up, managing directors, custodians, the fans groups and inititives etc. Nothing at the club is right and it's not going to change any time soon either.

My comment was more in an ideal world ...i.e 15-million spent wisely. In reality it's not even close to happening. If we are lucky enough for King to give Pedro a 15-million net spend transfer kitty, I don't even expect him to make the most of it if I'm honest - I think we'd see tons of guys like Peralta (I know he was Honduras) from Mexico/South America who fit his daft wee footballing philosophies profiles but will ultimately be useless for us. I can see it right now (like everything else that's panned out at our club footballing wise from the day McCoist got the job) and it's painful to watch. 

49 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Willie Henderson says Rangers must spend £50 million on players to catch Celtic.

Former Rangers winger Willie Henderson claims £50million is required for new players if the Ibrox club is to compete with Celtic.

The Light Blues were dismissed with ease in Sunday's William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden Park by the Hoops whose 2-0 win was no reflection of their superiority in a season where they have not lost in five Old Firm meetings.

The Parkhead club secured their sixth Ladbrokes Premiership title earlier in the month and are gunning for the treble in their first season with Brendan Rodgers as boss.

Read more: John Beaton named as referee for Rangers v Celtic clash at Ibrox

Henderson, star of the Ibrox club in the 1960s and early 1970s, was speaking at the national stadium where he was helping launch this year's nominations for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.

The former Scotland player was scathing of Rangers' efforts on Sunday and said: "The fans at least expect an enormous effort from players wearing the blue jersey.

"They accept that Celtic are a better team just now but they shouldn't be a better team with effort and that was disappointing for the fans who have put up with a lot for a long time.

"If Rangers are going to compete with Celtic, there has to be a huge investment in this club to purchase players who are going to be of a standard who can play for Glasgow Rangers and compete with Celtic.

"£50million, solely for players. It might be an idea for another investor, if there is another investor who could be brought into the club who is interested in putting money into football. It is certainly needed.

"I am not privy to anything that goes on in the business side of it but if it is going to take someone else to be added to what is already at Rangers, prepared to invest the money in the club, then maybe it is time that the board sit round the table and discuss it with other people.

"You are going to have the same situation that you have just now if they don't do that."

Henderson believes it is over half a century since there was such a gulf between the two clubs.

Ahead of the last league meeting of the season between the clubs at Ibrox on Saturday, he said: "We played Celtic on the Saturday (1963 Scottish Cup final) and drew and on the Wednesday we beat Celtic 3-0 in the replay, in front of a quarter of a million people in total.

"At that stage there was a huge gulf between Celtic and Rangers.

"We were far in front but then along came the genius Jock Stein (Celtic's European Cup winning manager). The gulf today is the same as before Jock Stein came.

"We were always very confident of beating Celtic. Today, I don't think there is a Celtic player who if they are going out and putting a shift in, would fear getting beat by Glasgow Rangers."

Henderson believes that any manager, not only the recently appointed Portuguese coach Pedro Caixinha, would struggle with the Ibrox squad of whom he would keep only "three or four" for next season.

He said: "There are a lot of players at Ibrox who, for a considerable time, have had a chance to prove themselves to be of that class and I am afraid some of them are not that good.

"Kenny Miller has had a really good season. He would be the first to admit that he is getting on but with his experience I would keep him on,

"I would keep the goalkeeper (Wes Foderingham), Lee Wallace and the lad (Emerson) Hyndman.

"These are good players. But you would certainly need to add to the squad.

"It is all very well bringing managers in but as I said earlier, when Jock Stein came in, players like Jimmy Johnstone, Tommy Gemmell and Bobby Murdoch were there.

"We don't have players of that calibre just now, for any manager coming in, to be able to improve the team that much."

Lot of time for the guy but 50 mill is ripping it, that would be required to compete in the champions league group stages.

10 mill would be enough if we were shopping in the right market.

5 players at around 2 million in key areas with a couple of out of contracters would be enough supposing we were getting the right quality, or even 4 players at 1.5 and 2 x 2mil players. 

2 central defenders, 1 right defender (move Tav to midfield) 2 strikers 1 midfielder like kolo kante and sign up emerson hyndman.

If we got Dorrans, hyndman and Cummings we would give a title challenge next year. 

2 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

Lot of time for the guy but 50 mill is ripping it, that would be required to compete in the champions league group stages.

10 mill would be enough if we were shopping in the right market.

5 players at around 2 million in key areas with a couple of out of contracters would be enough supposing we were getting the right quality, or even 4 players at 1.5 and 2 x 2mil players. 

2 central defenders, 1 right defender (move Tav to midfield) 2 strikers 1 midfielder like kolo kante and sign up emerson hyndman.

If we got Dorrans, hyndman and Cummings we would give a title challenge next year. 

You've genuinely lost me with how many players you think we need to sign.

6 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

His signings have been horrendous.

Dembele isnt his. The rest are deilas mob. 

Most of his signings can't get a game. I'm.choking for him to spend big there

Sinclair is the only one who's been a success and as much as nobody wants to say it he has been brilliant for them.

There isn't another one of his signings - De Vries, Gamboa, Toure & Kouassi - who can even get in the team :lol:

41 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I don't reckon a great manager would need 50m.

But if you look at it a different way and sold both first team squads (which they'll have CL money to improve), then we're probably ball park around that figure. They also have a settled squad with depth which we don't.

He's telling the Board mighty improvement and investment us needed and get gets my thanks for puting his neck on the line to do so.

It would be good if a few more people like him spoke out as well in such a way.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

All we've heard since 2011 is pish about signings need to have the right mentality to play for Rangers, signings capable of winning us a major trophy, signings who need to fit the right character profile/s to play for Rangers, signings that our scouts who work so hard present to us (Neil Murray era) ... when in reality it's all fucking bollocks. Just about every single bad signing, when we've been linked with them or when they sign most of us have voiced concerns and they've been right.

There's no-one at the club I trust right now to finally buck the trend and help us get it right - manager, coaches, youth set-up, managing directors, custodians, the fans groups and inititives etc. Nothing at the club is right and it's not going to change any time soon either.

My comment was more in an ideal world ...i.e 15-million spent wisely. In reality it's not even close to happening. If we are lucky enough for King to give Pedro a 15-million net spend transfer kitty, I don't even expect him to make the most of it if I'm honest - I think we'd see tons of guys like Peralta (I know he was Honduras) from Mexico/South America who fit his daft wee footballing philosophies profiles but will ultimately be useless for us. I can see it right now (like everything else that's panned out at our club footballing wise from the day McCoist got the job) and it's painful to watch. 

Exactly my thoughts, spending 15 million and it ends up a disaster, thats why I think the operating figure would at least be double, but before spending that kind of money it needs at least a proven manager.

Just now, DBBTB said:

Sinclair is the only one who's been a success and as much as nobody wants to say it he has been brilliant for them.

There isn't another one of his signings - De Vries, Gamboa, Toure & Kouassi - who can even get in the team :lol:

Fuck I did forget about Sinclair being his. So one out of five/six is a terrible record.

he's their best player by miles. however he's been to England and struggled sp they cant try the he's worth x amount shite. That's why they're bumming that clown up front up so much. 

If Scott Sinclair was called some foreign name and had been signed from a Belgian side for twenty quid they'd be screaming he's worth x amount. That's why they can't as down south they know he struggled.

It all went wrong for him when he tried to build his own team. I hope they go big and I sincerely mean that. He will ruin them

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

As a football club, on a corporate/sporting management level we're completely rotten to the core. Absolutely nothing is right and it looks like that's going to be the way it is for a considerable time to come. 

8 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Fuck I did forget about Sinclair being his. So one out of five/six is a terrible record.

he's their best player by miles. however he's been to England and struggled sp they cant try the he's worth x amount shite. That's why they're bumming that clown up front up so much. 

If Scott Sinclair was called some foreign name and had been signed from a Belgian side for twenty quid they'd be screaming he's worth x amount. That's why they can't as down south they know he struggled.

It all went wrong for him when he tried to build his own team. I hope they go big and I sincerely mean that. He will ruin them

A said that to boys in college and they thought it was stupid.

Dembele is massively overrated.

1 hour ago, hemdale1873 said:

Giving that mob from across town way too much credit. They are the best of a really poor bunch at the minute anytime they step up a level in Europe they struggle big time.

A decent manager with about 12-15m would put them to the sword.

If Celtic don't spend anything then you'd be correct. But going by the inflated transfers prices they'll get close to 10 million for dembele and Sinclair probably abit more being that he's English and they cost abit.  Say for instance celtics budget is boosted by a player sale coupled with champions league money then hendersons claim of 50 million wouldn't be far off.

a good defence will cost around 8 million a good solid midfield around 15 and forwards about 10

add more to beef the squad and for wages 50 million won't be far away

Personally I don't mind if we don't outspend them, done that in the past to put us in the mess we find ourselves in now. Just find players good enough for this shitty league and worry about Europe in a few years time. We don't need to spend the earth to find talent, just need the faces that know talent when looking. I'd even go as far to say that as little as £5-6m with a shit load more fight than what we show now would overtake them. As stated before they are wasting the majority of their money on players just to sit on the bench, Brendan has a shocking track record of signings too. Be a bit clever and think outside the box.

1 hour ago, lazza1873 said:

50 million ??

For as shite as we were on Sunday they won 2-0 would think it was 5 or 6 the way they are going on. 

We were fuckin awful yet still should have scored a few goals. On another day we get the handball pen and Miller or Waghorn puts their chances away.

Investment needed most definitely but 50m? Do us a favour.

In fairness it was as one sided an OF as I have witnessed (minus the goals)

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Personally I don't mind if we don't outspend them, done that in the past to put us in the mess we find ourselves in now. Just find players good enough for this shitty league and worry about Europe in a few years time. We don't need to spend the earth to find talent, just need the faces that know talent when looking. I'd even go as far to say that as little as £5-6m with a shit load more fight than what we show now would overtake them. As stated before they are wasting the majority of their money on players just to sit on the bench, Brendan has a shocking track record of signings too. Be a bit clever and think outside the box.

Why does this myth get so much airtime on here? you just need to read the extracts from the Craig Whyte court trial - we were 18-million in debt, the debt was getting serviced and we were turning profits in the accounts. A fraudulant takeover and Whyte withholding tax payments got us into this mess not ambition. 

I like WH a great deal. My Grandad loved him dearly. He gives the mahnkies way too much credit in his comments. I still feel that a team of players showing 100% COMMITMENT and EFFORT would and could have got something from Sunday.

The £50 mil quote does seem like a dig at King and it's not before time that he gets dug up about his lack of real investment. Give Pedro £15 mil and if the Squad gel and apply themselves we could indeed put up a better fight. 

I think that Pedro may have already told some of the players that they won't be part of his plans going forward as that might explain the total lack of effort that we had to endure on Sunday..

33 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

His signings have been horrendous.

Dembele isnt his. The rest are deilas mob. 

Most of his signings can't get a game. I'm.choking for him to spend big there

Good point. They have momentum and a settled side. If we start spending outwith our means again then we make the challenge harder in the long run, that said, King does need or someone needs to start proper investing for us to catch up sooner

21 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Think of it this way Ross McCormack gets tossed around England for £12m.

Why does this myth get so much airtime on here? you just need to read the extracts from the Craig Whyte court trial - we were 18-million in debt, the debt was getting serviced and we were turning profits in the accounts. A fraudulant takeover and Whyte withholding tax payments got us into this mess not ambition. 

SDM serviced the debt with another Lloyds loan.

Just now, Hutton2008 said:

SDM serviced the debt with another Lloyds loan.

Do you think having a debt of 18-million for a club our size, playing in the Champions League/Scottish Champions was over-the-top? considering we were turning profit in the accounts? 

Writing was on the wall far before W***e and co got their greedy hands on us. Murray was spending far too much with too little coming in. £18m in debt was being serviced by shafting the team in the McLeish era. Their time will come when Desmond starts wanting his money back and that shitehole they call home crumbles. Keep spending within our means.

Just now, K.A.I said:

Do you think having a debt of 18-million for a club our size, playing in the Champions League/Scottish Champions was over-the-top? considering we were turning profit in the accounts? 

Yes. How many share issues and loans can you make in Scottish football? Every AGM figures are twisted and the word 'profit' gets misused. SDM made a mess of us and going further into debt is never the answer.

we need a proper investor, commercial deal before we can contemplate spending big.