Xavi

Went to the Qatar Cup final last night between Al Sadd and El Jaish. Xavi has still got it. What a player. 

37 years old and he's running the show. Definitely the best passer of a ball I've ever seen. He played a 50 yard through ball last night and I swear it was about half an inch away from the defender, but he couldn't touch it, perfect for the attacker to run onto it and get a shot away on goal. 

Tickets were 10QR, bargain. Standard was better than I expected. Seydou Keita was in the other team, another blast from the past who still looks quality. 

A treat. Going to the fitbaw abroad is the dugs baws but to see a genuine legend strutting his stuff would be superb. Never seen any of my non-Rangers heroes in a non-Rangers environment.

13 minutes ago, Inigo said:

A treat. Going to the fitbaw abroad is the dugs baws but to see a genuine legend strutting his stuff would be superb. Never seen any of my non-Rangers heroes in a non-Rangers environment.

Exactly mate, and for the equivalent of £2! Seeing Xavi in the flesh makes it a no brainer. He doesn't look like he has aged a day either. 

He played as though he was surrounded by 15 year olds. He lost the ball once. I counted. Against a team who played 5 in midfield and squeezed the space. The guy is 37 but still far too good to be playing in Qatar! Guess he chased the money and chilled lifestyle, he's treated like royalty here - personal invitations to the Emir's palace etc. 

6 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Exactly mate, and for the equivalent of £2! Seeing Xavi in the flesh makes it a no brainer. He doesn't look like he has aged a day either. 

He played as though he was surrounded by 15 year olds. He lost the ball once. I counted. Against a team who played 5 in midfield and squeezed the space. The guy is 37 but still far too good to be playing in Qatar! Guess he chased the money and chilled lifestyle, he's treated like royalty here - personal invitations to the Emir's palace etc. 

Well, that's it. I still think he should be playing in a top European league. Would've been interesting to see him in Italy or somewhere like that.

On 30/04/2017 at 11:18 AM, Inigo said:

I can understand you not going to internationals these day's but that's where I mostly got the opportunity to see some greats. You should have gone to Zidane's European Cup Final though, but I guess the tickets were difficult to get ?

Was much easier to get them back in the 70s and 80s, I always got tickets quite easily for the likes of The European Cup Final, or internationals (especially against England) or big games, much more difficult now. Got to see some greats but Maradona was the best, saw his first international goal at Hampden.

Just now, tannerall said:

I can understand you not going to internationals these day's but that's where I mostly got the opportunity to see some greats. You should have gone to Zidane's European Cup Final though, but I guess the tickets were difficult to get ?

Was much easier to get them back in the 70s and 80s, I always got tickets quite easily for the likes of The European Cup Final, or internationals (especially against England) or big games, much more difficult now. Got to see some greats but Maradona was the best, saw his first international goal at Hampden.

Yeah, couldn't get a ticket. Got one for the Seville-Espanyol UEFA game, but not the Champions League one, sadly.

20 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, couldn't get a ticket. Got one for the Seville-Espanyol UEFA game, but not the Champions League one, sadly.

That's another thing I hate about the game now, ordinary fans and those who really appreciate it being prevented from going to big games by posers, money men and those with connections, most of whom never attend the basic games.

9 hours ago, tannerall said:

I was a pitch mascot at the Madrid v Leverkusen final. Got to meet all of the players, was starstruck. All of the Madrid players were really friendly but didn't spend much time talking etc. I took a spare top to get signed and Dimitar Berbatov took it from me and got it signed by the entire Leverkusen team.

I didn't appreciate it at the time because I was a kid and didn't know who the fuck guys like Michael Ballack & Lucio were, compared to their more illustrious opponents.  

9 hours ago, Inigo said:

I was at that game too, terrific game of football - from memory it was end to end. Lasting memory is of Albert Riera hitting a shot from 40 yards which pinged the bar, I was right behind it and it was like a bullet. 

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Inigo said:

Well, that's it. I still think he should be playing in a top European league. Would've been interesting to see him in Italy or somewhere like that.

Juve should've went for him when they punted Pogba.

10 hours ago, psb07158 said:

I was a pitch mascot at the Madrid v Leverkusen final. Got to meet all of the players, was starstruck. All of the Madrid players were really friendly but didn't spend much time talking etc. I took a spare top to get signed and Dimitar Berbatov took it from me and got it signed by the entire Leverkusen team.

I didn't appreciate it at the time because I was a kid and didn't know who the fuck guys like Michael Ballack & Lucio were, compared to their more illustrious opponents.  

I was at that game too, terrific game of football - from memory it was end to end. Lasting memory is of Albert Riera hitting a shot from 40 yards which pinged the bar, I was right behind it and it was like a bullet. 

Always remember there was a fanzine at George Square for the 2002 final. I think a World Cup game for the PS2 got released and people were playing against each other.