*** The Official Partick Thistle vs Rangers Match Thread ***

1 hour ago, William McBeath said:

I fucking hope not as it's a pie-in-the-sky formation for teams without top players that need to win titles. A narrow version just sounds worse to me.

We got caught out a few times on Saturday with too many players being on the same side of the pitch with that lot only having to switch play to send our lot scrambling to catch them. 

From his initial statements Pedro made out he was a pragmatist who used whatever system best suited his players.

That's not looked true but hopefully he's just finding his feet with this lot. If we go with a narrow 433 next season I'll need to see our results before watching games because I can't handle seeing us struggling to at least dominate most of the play against the likes of Motherwell.

Sure I've seen at his previous clubs he played something similar.

The fact he's played it the last 2 old firms as well as the Thistle game before hand doesn't bode well for people who don't like it

Tbh I'll take us playing a 8-1-1 if it means getting results next season

1 hour ago, William McBeath said:

I fucking hope not as it's a pie-in-the-sky formation for teams without top players that need to win titles. A narrow version just sounds worse to me.

We got caught out a few times on Saturday with too many players being on the same side of the pitch with that lot only having to switch play to send our lot scrambling to catch them. 

From his initial statements Pedro made out he was a pragmatist who used whatever system best suited his players.

That's not looked true but hopefully he's just finding his feet with this lot. If we go with a narrow 433 next season I'll need to see our results before watching games because I can't handle seeing us struggling to at least dominate most of the play against the likes of Motherwell.

Barca definitely don't have top players that need to win titles :sarcasm: 

Just now, Valance1690 said:

Sure I've seen at his previous clubs he played something similar.

The fact he's played it the last 2 old firms as well as the Thistle game before hand doesn't bode well for people who don't like it

Tbh I'll take us playing a 8-1-1 if it means getting results next season

We never played 4-3-3 though.

8 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Barca do have top players :headscratch:

I just think with average or poor players a 433 is too easy to exploit for better teams and players. It's why most teams with average players try and pack the midfield and make it more difficult for superior players and teams to beat them. Like we should have done on Saturday.

Just now, William McBeath said:

Barca do have top players :headscratch:

I just think with average or poor players a 433 is too easy to exploit for better teams and players. It's why most teams with average players try and pack the midfield and make it more difficult for superior players and teams to beat them. Like we should have done on Saturday.

Read it wrong, thought you meant, no good team uses it :tu: 

Not going to be an easy game at all. Partick's bitter fans will want a win against us and their players will of course be more up for it than our shower of wasters

44 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We did play a 4-3-3 first half on Saturday and the whole of last Sunday

Pedro can come out and saying it's 4312 all he wants, the players were playing a 433 with Miller occasionally getting pissed off and chasing back

2nd half was more of a 4312, Windass pushed up and Miller went up top to replace Dodoo

Naming 3 striker is just baffling

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

Not going to be an easy game at all. Partick's bitter fans will want a win against us and their players will of course be more up for it than our shower of wasters

Bitter? I'd say they're some of the most laid back 'not really arsed' fans in the league. Maybe the contingent of Yesers, but apart from that they are pretty easy going. 

Sad to say that all is needed is a point (I think) to guarantee European football, and I'd happily take that. 

4 hours ago, William McBeath said:

I've been critical of the guy and would have rather had one of the other candidates but I can see how it would be difficult coming to a new country and trying to suss everything out. I'm willing to give him time as he's here now.

I just hope we start to see signs of improvement before the season ends. Will be interesting to see who we sign as well. The main worry I have is that his way of playing is again too unrealistic for the money we can spend and we end up with another inferior version to what it is the guy wants as his ideal side. I suppose that's likely to be the case no matter who the gaffer is but with the likes of Walter or the Scots boys you know you'll get a side that is difficult to beat, never gives up, and punches above it's price. That's better and safer for me than ending up with a poor foreign type side.

Time will tell and here is hoping that we've all jumped on the guy to soon. No doubt he's taking a lot of heat from our circus of a media up there and the rest of the obsessed so I'd fucking love it even more if the boy turned out to be a good one.

Foreign type sides often thrash Scottish type sides. Scottish/British football is generally awful outside the top half of the EPL.

20 minutes ago, The Tavernator said:

Foreign type sides often thrash Scottish type sides. Scottish/British football is generally awful outside the top half of the EPL.

You should have noticed the poor before foreign. I don't think the lower half clubs in the Portuguese or the other leagues outside the rich ones are very good. We have been beaten by some poor sides over the years but we have beaten plenty of them. Our sides would normally  beat the bottom half clubs. Same with the reptiles who would no doubt beat them now that they have got rid of that mug Delia. Do you think teams like Boavista or Willem 11 would win our league?

16 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

You should have noticed the poor before foreign. I don't think the lower half clubs in the Portuguese or the other leagues outside the rich ones are very good. We have been beaten by some poor sides over the years but we have beaten plenty of them. Our sides would normally  beat the bottom half clubs. Same with the reptiles who would no doubt beat them now that they have got rid of that mug Delia. Do you think teams like Boavista or Willem 11 would win our league?

Haven't the foggiest, never heard of them.