Homegrown players for Europe

NeoGeo7

'clubs have to designate a minimum 8 players that were trained by clubs from the same national league, with 4 of them are from the club own youth system.'

Pedro's rebuild has some added complications here so a complete clear out might not be possible.

Out of the current squad we have:

McKay (1 of the 4)
Wallace (1 of the 8)
Wilson (1 of the 8)
Holt (1 of the 8)
Miller (1 of the 8)
Halliday (1 of the 8)
Bates (1 of the 8)

So we have 7 out of 8 and only 1 out of 4 meaning we will need to keep McKay and put 3 players from the youths into our European squad (probably not a huge problem here).

However say we want to replace the other 6 listed above we need to replace them with Scottish players in order to meet the quota (unless of course more than 3 from the youth team are registered).

I think this is why Pedro has mentioned about signing domestic players. Not just because they understand the demands of the league but also to meet the rules for European competition next season.

Granted we may get put out in qualifiers in which case we don't really need to care about this but I'd imagine we'd aim to reach the group stages for a chance of getting some revenue increase.

Again I think this shows just how shortsighted Warburton's transfer policy was in the players that we have signed. 

Its going to be a huge task for the manager this summer.

8 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

'clubs have to designate a minimum 8 players that were trained by clubs from the same national league, with 4 of them are from the club own youth system.'

Pedro's rebuild has some added complications here so a complete clear out might not be possible.

McKay (1 of the 4)
Wallace (1 of the 8)
Wilson (1 of the 8)
Holt (1 of the 8)
Miller (1 of the 8)
Halliday (1 of the 8)
Bates (1 of the 8)

So we have 7 out of 8 and only 1 out of 4 meaning we will need to keep McKay and put 3 players from the youths into our European squad (probably not a huge problem here).

However say we want to replace the other 6 listed above we need to replace them with Scottish players in order to meet the quota (unless of course more than 3 from the youth team are registered).

I think this is why Pedro has mentioned about signing domestic players. Not just because they understand the demands of the league but also to meet the rules for European competition next season.

Granted we may get out out in qualifiers in which case we don't really need to care about this but I'd imagine we'd aim to reach the group stages for a chance of getting some revenue increase.

Again I think this shows just how shortsighted Warburton's transfer policy was in the players that we have signed. 

We are not even there yet.If we dont get the finger out these next few games we are in big trouble.

Just now, jjbscotty12 said:

We are not even there yet.If we dont get the finger out these next few games we are in big trouble.

We are as good as there through an embarrassing route.

If we take a single point in the last 4 games we are guaranteed 4th and now that the sheep and scum are in the Scottish cup final the place for it goes to the league. It would be absolutely shameful if that's how we ended up qualifying and I think we'll finish third anyway.

4 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

St Johnstone aren't going to win this week anyway

If we beat Partick then 3rd place should be secured

There's always the safety blanket of 4th spot as well..

Just now, The Dude said:

Might be wrong here but I think Danny Wilson counts as one of the four club developed players.

He left at 18 so I don't think it counts, pretty sure it's 3 years between the ages of 17 and 21, so that would count as 2 years.

15 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

He left at 18 so I don't think it counts, pretty sure it's 3 years between the ages of 17 and 21, so that would count as 2 years.

Is it not at the club before the age of 16, or 3 years between 17 & 21?

If it's the former he would qualify.

It's a squad of 25 players for Europe anyway Isn't it? Don't think it's too much of an issue tbh. It doesn't even matter we'll get knocked out in the first round 

33 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

From UEFA.com

What is a 'club-trained player'?

One who, between the age of 15 (or the start of the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which he turns 21) has been registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months. This is irrespective of his nationality and age.

What is an 'association-trained player'?

One who, between the age of 15 (or the start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which the player turns 21), has been registered with a club or with other clubs affiliated to the same association as that of his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months. This is irrespective of his nationality and age.

Honestly couldn't give a fuck about Europe we will get put out in the qualifiers by a team who we can't pronounce their name and they ride on donkeys to matches. Concentrate on building team who can finish second and merit a go at European football first.

2 minutes ago, wullyRFC said:

Honestly couldn't give a fuck about Europe we will get put out in the qualifiers by a team who we can't pronounce their name and they ride on donkeys to matches. Concentrate on building team who can finish second and merit a go at European football first.

Say we did buy a bunch of European players and we managed to somehow win the league then you have a problem with regards to that team in Europe. This rule effectively means you can have 17 players who aren't Scottish  and 21 players who didn't train at the club as a youth. I think any manager worth their salts has to factor this in to decisions being made regarding the rebuild it might not be the centre of their attention but it needs to be considered at least.

Its also a good argument for playing some of our youth players in the last games to see if they have something that we can work with.

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

McKay (1 of the 4)
Wallace (1 of the 8)
Wilson (1 of the 8)
Holt (1 of the 8)
Miller (1 of the 8)
Halliday (1 of the 8)
Bates (1 of the 8)

Granted we may get put out in qualifiers in which case we don't really need to care about this but I'd imagine we'd aim to reach the group stages for a chance of getting some revenue increase.

Going to be tough to find the right domestic players for a shot at winning the Europa league.

A big challenge for Pedro but one I'm confident he can face. 

4 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Say we did buy a bunch of European players and we managed to somehow win the league then you have a problem with regards to that team in Europe. This rule effectively means you can have 17 players who aren't Scottish  and 21 players who didn't train at the club as a youth. I think any manager worth their salts has to factor this in to decisions being made regarding the rebuild it might not be the centre of their attention but it needs to be considered at least.

Its also a good argument for playing some of our youth players in the last games to see if they have something that we can work with.

If the manager has little to no money to spend he shouldn't be giving a fuck about this rule he should be concentrating on building a team to guarantee 2nd place.

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

given its in the 25 man squad, cant you just whack a shed load of youths in the squad and the jobs done?

Tbf that's what I do in Football Manager, just register a shit ton of youths and then have around 16 or 17 actual players.