Homegrown players for Europe

NeoGeo7

5 minutes ago, OhW said:

Aren't you saying that if we don't meet the criteria that we won't even be allowed to play in the qualifiers though?

No I'm not saying that. If need be we can have 8 youth players registered to meet the criteria with the other 17 being non homegrown.

45 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

There will be ways round out.  There's no way teams from the EPL, for example, have 4 youth academy products in their squads every season.

They can leave a space. Man City only had 21 players in their squad for the knockout stages of the CL. 

Be aware though it's not youth academy players, it's players that have come through the youth academy so you could have a 30 year old that counts. 

Actual youngsters don't need to be registered as for the most part they'll be eligible as b list players and can be selected anyway 

49 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

There will be ways round out.  There's no way teams from the EPL, for example, have 4 youth academy products in their squads every season.

The way round it is to leave an empty space in your squad. 

2 minutes ago, Spectre said:

They can leave a space. Man City only had 21 players in their squad for the knockout stages of the CL. 

Be aware though it's not youth academy players, it's players that have come through the youth academy so you could have a 30 year old that counts. 

Actual youngsters don't need to be registered as for the most part they'll be eligible as b list players and can be selected anyway 

If I remember right Man City only had 21 players in their squad as a punishment for breaking FFP rules. 

You're correct though teams can leave spaces in their squads.

Brings sharply into focus the wasted years under McCoist.

On the rules, does the club just have to have those 8 players in the squad or a certain amount in the team when playing in Europe?

27 minutes ago, Coop said:

On the rules, does the club just have to have those 8 players in the squad or a certain amount in the team when playing in Europe?

In the squad of 25

28 minutes ago, Coop said:

I don't particularly follow that logic tbh. He gave debuts to something like 20 academy kids. How many of those would you say were good enough now to be important members of the squad?

On 02/05/2017 at 4:15 PM, The Dude said:

I don't particularly follow that logic tbh. He gave debuts to something like 20 academy kids. How many of those would you say were good enough now to be important members of the squad?

You need to persist with the kids as it's a learning process.  They'll make mistakes, the coach points out those mistakes and how to perform correctly in the situation and you should have better player by the end of the day.  Small increments. I wouldn't call McCoists approach anything like promoting the youth and more like making up numbers or taking a quick look then deciding the player wasn't the finished article then looking to buy experience.

if, big if, we sign naismith, whittaker and lafferty, would naismith and whittaker not count? we had naismith in the academy and whittaker was at hibs as a youth. so thats potentially 2 out of 3 squad improving signings that would fit in with this policy.

8 hours ago, Coop said:

You need to persist with the kids as it's a learning process.  They'll make mistakes, the coach points out those mistakes and how to perform correctly in the situation and you should have better player by the end of the day.  Small increments. I wouldn't call McCoists approach anything like promoting the youth and more like making up numbers or taking a quick look then deciding the player wasn't the finished article then looking to buy experience.

You can accept the mistakes if on the other hand there are signs of promise. Other than McLeod and McKay (Maybe Murdoch) the youngsters we had during those years were never going to cut it regardless of how much experience you gave them. After watching the recent youth Cup Finals I think there is an alarming lack of talent within our youth system. Gilmour looked the only one with any natural ability and he is heading off to Chelsea. I don't think we are alone as you could probably aim that at the whole of Scottish football.