*** RangersMedia Erskine Fund - The Official 2017/18 Members Thread ***

govanblue

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, so RangersMedia Erskine Fund were invited along to Erskine’s Open Day on Friday, because they wanted us to meet the staff and residents, and to give them an opportunity to thank us personally, and to show us how valuable our support is to them, and how effective it is in a therapeutic sense for everyone involved. :rangers: Their words not mine.

Loyal Fund Member @Travelrug kindly agreed to come along with me as my plus one, just so it didn't look weird!.  :p: 

Anyway, upon arrival we met with our good friends in the transport office and had a wee chat.  Then we sat in the recreation area for a while, eating cakes (actually, it was mainly just me that was eating cakes – they were awesome!) , playing pub-quiz, and chatting with the Bears.  Once again, the Erskine Bears want me to tell you that they really can’t thank us enough for everything we do for them.  And it’s obvious – they mean it.  Same with the staff.  Chatting with the staff, they were regaling us with funny stories about what they were all getting up to at Dinger’s birthday party, and at the Showaddywaddy gig, and it’s obvious how much affection the staff have for the Residents, and how much effort they put into ensuring their wellbeing – not least the fact that they come in to these parties, or to take the Bears to Ibrox etc on their days off.

Anyway, the residents were all in very chatty mood, and we had a great laugh.  We talked a fair bit about what’s going on at Rangers these days, and tbh, the Residents seem to know more about it than I do!  I suppose being pals with Kenny Miller’s niece gets them a few bits of gossip.  :lol: 

We also talked about how many Erskine Bears they had lost just in the last year.  Most of the old guard in fact.  All sorely missed.  Like Donald...

Bish_Donald.thumb.jpg.fc5d297b3b855c69a82804905257847f.jpg

Bish_Donald3.thumb.jpg.21b829c43c70665de0b2edac9b7f0453.jpg

Bish_Donald2.thumb.jpg.da663e9a0be66707169c5e0eeb552c9d.jpg

And John...

EBI_04_zpswnmsggz7.jpg

John_B_zpsxtjwwbgd.jpg

The seats won’t sit empty though, as the New Guard are more than willing to take up the banner, and are as excited as the rest of us at the prospect of seeing some winning football.  :rangers:

scarves4.jpg.a3d30022536cb5b97dd08242590

Bishtour1.thumb.jpg.639d389cced3d8db6593

Afterwards, we had a tour of the Main Hospital.  I’ve seen it before, but there’s so much artwork and models and stuff all over the place, that you can never get bored walking the corridors.  And we had a peek in at one of the bedrooms (an empty one of course!).  It looked absolutely awesome.  Wish my room was as good!

Another thing I noticed as we were walking around was how all the other staff and residents all stop and talk to each other as they’re passing, share a wee joke and a hug etc.  Again, you can see that this is genuinely how it is, and this is what makes Erskine so different.

We had the full ‘warts and all’ tour, seeing all the different departments and services they offer, and it was interesting that even in the backstage areas, there was absolutely no aroma of hospital or care home.  Even the kitchen was odourless.  I’ve been in quite a few cookhouses and kitchens in my time, and anyone else who has will know that smell.  Not here.  It smelled of nectar and ambrosia!  :p:

We also got to see their new bus, donated by Rangers Charity Foundation.  It’s a cracker, but sadly it didn’t seem to have a 12V Beer Cooler to keep the passengers suitably chilled to and from Ibrox. :depressed:

hodson_erskine_150517.jpg

Luckily Travelrug was on hand, so he kindly offered to buy them one.  The money’s now in our account, and we’ll get that ordered up soon.  Cheers Travelrug!  :cheers:

1._halfords-24l.jpg?itok=EaabPI75

We bumped into Dinger (that’s him in the photo above) in the corridor btw.  He seems not to smile much in photos! :p:  but in real life, he's usually happy as Larry, as he was on Friday, laughing and smiling, and really looking forward to getting back to Ibrox too.  Sadly, with him being in a wheelchair, it’s not easy to get him a seat, but we’ll do our best.  :tu: 

Oh and I also donated the last of our “Charity Shop” Rangers Merchandise to Erskine Bishopton and Erskine Park (I’ve kept some aside for Erskine Glasgow too).  About 160 items for them to kit out any new Bears who missed out on the merchandise at Christmas, and whatever’s left, they can sell at their Summer Fetes.  Rangers Clobber is always popular at Erskine Fetes.  :thumbsup:

@Bobby Hume - I just can't be arsed looking for an ê ]

thumb_Trg_08_halfzip_navy_1_zpsomphmrbi. hoodie_watp_zpstfeezcqb.jpg thumb_Trg_Jkt_02_White_Unsp_zpsv4i7cur0.

And finally, I’m sure you’ll all be delighted to hear that we will no longer be obscuring the faces on our Erskine photos.  Here’s why…

Gb,

I spoke to the Director of Care about putting pics on RangersMedia site and he has no objections whatever about showing the Veterans faces so please keep up the great work as we are all PROUD TO CARE.

End of report.

And if you haven't already joined our Erskine Fund, then you need to donate £10 for your season's membership now.

What are you waiting for?  PM me, and sleep well tonight!

Sounds like a fantastic day was had by all on Friday. I think it's inspiring to hear about the work that the Staff do for our Veterans. Also, amazing that our contributions whether large or small make such a difference to people's lives. 

Thanks to @govanblue & @Travelrug for representing all of us at the Event and for giving us great feedback on the days happenings.

Of all the Forums, I am glad I found my way to RangersMedia Bears' Den and the Erskine Fund. It's an honour to be part of the Fund-raising efforts and to see just what we can achieve for Erskine when we all pull together.

23 hours ago, govanblue said:

And Hollybush House have now received their 3 new DVD players.  Bikes next. :tu:

2 Bikes ordered from Halfords. :tu:

Since they already have 2 mountain bikes, Hollybush decided in the end to go for road bikes, as it will give the Residents more options.

Carrera%20Zelos%20Junior.jpeg

Carrera%20Zelos%20Junior.jpeg

Cost: £440

So the balance of the Hollybush Recreation Fund is:

£800

minus £40 (Fete admissions)

minus £128.32 (3 DVD players & HDMI cables)

minus £440 (2 bikes)

equals: £191.68

Some of the former residents have given me a suggestion for something that they think would be much appreciated there, but we'd probably need another £300 or so to get it.  I'm looking into it, and if it's feasible, I'll probably come a begging.  

nedblue_zps5d0d73f8.jpg

:rangers:

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

:confused: ..... confused.com .... could you please clarify for me mate?

:UK:

you've been spelling fête the proper way.  I'm too lazy to do that.  I expected to get pulled up for it. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Zetland said:

I don't get it - Where's the power source if your on a bike?! :headscratch:

It's thinking like that, that cost the US so dearly...

500px-Ho_chi_minh_trail.jpg

Luckily, we don't think that way over here.

dytor2.jpg

1 hour ago, govanblue said:

you've been spelling fête the proper way.  I'm too lazy to do that.  I expected to get pulled up for it. :lol:

:cheers:

I find it extremely difficult to afford any form of criticism in your direction sir .... you of all people are allowed the broadest of leeways ... :lol:

1 hour ago, Bobby Hume said:

:cheers:

I find it extremely difficult to afford any form of criticism in your direction sir .... you of all people are allowed the broadest of leeways ... :lol:

:lol:

Maybe I need to push the boundaries a bit more then. :p:

Update:

So since we're signed up for the CCCS scheme this season, we don't need to worry about the 14 tickets for our Veterans for our return to European Football - although we might still need to worry about how to pay for them if we don't get some more Members before the season kicks off! :p:

What with this scorching Summer, it's good to know that Erskine's new Rangers Charity Foundation Bus...

hodson_erskine_150517.jpg

will be kitted out with a new 12V Electric cooler in time for the game.  So the beers will be nice and cold.  I guess on a hot day, whisky is best served chilled too. :tu:

Erskine are really spoiled for choice now.  They also got this nice new Bus recently...

Old_Erskine_Bus.thumb.jpg.937290649976722b7d3bec04bf678aee.jpg

Archived