Guest Lloyd72

Rashid Sumaila

Guest Lloyd72

Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha aiming to make Rashid Sumaila first signing... and has a dozen targets on his shortlist

Pedro Caixinha worked with defender Rashid Sumaila Qatari club Al-Gharafa

The powerful Ghanaian was described as Caixinha's ‘trusted centre-back’

Caixinha has assembled a list of around a dozen transfer targets for the summer

By Stephen Mcgowan For The Scottish Daily Mail

Pedro Caixinha is pursuing a deal to make powerful Ghanaian defender Rashid Sumaila his first Rangers signing.

The Ibrox boss described the 24-year-old as his ‘trusted centre-back’ after taking him on loan at Qatari club Al-Gharafa from Kuwait’s Al-Qadisa.

And on Friday Sumaila’s Portuguese representative claimed the Ibrox club have already made contact with the free agent over a move to Scotland this summer.

Rashid Sumaila, pictured playing for Qatari club Al-Gharafa, is wanted at Rangers this summer

‘I can confirm that Rangers have approached the player and informed his club in Kuwait,’ Pedro Serpa Pinto told Sportsmail.

‘As you know the player is on loan at Al Gharafa right now. But he likes the coach Pedro Caixinha and he would like to work with him again in Scotland.

‘I think this can happen. But so far nobody from Rangers has been in contact with me directly.’

Reports in Mexico have also linked the Ibrox boss with moves for his former Santos Laguna right back Jose Abella and central defender Carlos Izquierdoz following an admission he wants players he knows and trusts.

Capped six times for the Ghana national team, Sumaila made the 23-man squad for the 2014 World Cup. The 6ft tall defender has had a nomadic club career, including a spell in South Africa prior to moving to Kuwait where he won a best foreign player award. He subsequently became a key player for Caixinha during his time in charge at Al-Gharafa.

Pedro Caixinha has assembled a list of around a dozen transfer targets for the summer

Work permit issues would have to be resolved and agent Serpa Pinto admitted Rangers have yet to contact him for talks over terms. But he believes agreement is within reach and added: ‘Anything is possible in football but it depends on their value of the player.

‘So far nobody from Rangers has contacted my directly and they will have to because I am the official agent of the player.

‘I expect they will contact me soon when we will sit down and have a discussion.’

Argentinian Izquierdoz, 28, signed a new three-year deal with Santos Laguna earlier this year but confirmed an Ibrox interest last month. Mexico Under-20s cap Abella is regarded as one of the best right backs in the Mexican League and has been at Santos Laguna for four years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4478922/Rangers-news-Pedro-Caixinha-aiming-sign-Rashid-Sumaila.html

Says he's a free agent and also says he's still on loan at that team Pedro was at, useless journo cunts

He might be his trusted centre back in a league that's not exactly filled with quality players and no doubt the same as perhaps our league 1 level, He hasn't really done anything at any decent level and watching the video's of him he's nothing better or stands out from what we already have. I think he looks pretty poor.

There is a perfectly good reason why he's playing where he is and really hope our manager doesn't think bringing players from the dessert and Mexico from leagues inferior to our own will be enough to challenge the unwashed.

We cannot afford to get this wrong again and any money we have should be used wisely or we could end up with an even worse team next season.

We should be looking at Europe and Britain for experienced players, Players who will settle easily and be used to our climate, Won't be easy for someone playing in the dessert to suddenly playing in winter in Scotland wearing his duffel coat and wee bobble hat and gloves.

Guest Lloyd72
3 minutes ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

He might be his trusted centre back in a league that's not exactly filled with quality players and no doubt the same as perhaps our league 1 level, He hasn't really done anything at any decent level and watching the video's of him he's nothing better or stands out from what we already have. I think he looks pretty poor.

There is a perfectly good reason why he's playing where he is and really hope our manager doesn't think bringing players from the dessert and Mexico from leagues inferior to our own will be enough to challenge the unwashed.

We cannot afford to get this wrong again and any money we have should be used wisely or we could end up with an even worse team next season.

We should be looking at Europe and Britain for experienced players, Players who will settle easily and be used to our climate, Won't be easy for someone playing in the dessert to suddenly playing in winter in Scotland wearing his duffel coat and wee bobble hat and gloves.

Aye because our League is filled to the brim with great quality players :mutley:

I think he's looking at players he knows will stand up and be counted when the going gets tough. He's looked at our squad and realised the majority aren't up for the fight. Maybe 1/2/3 of his signings will be players that might lack a little fitness but won't shrink when it comes to the crunch. If that's the case then count me in! 

3 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

I know what ur saying. We do have to get signings right but I think he has been capped by Ghana and they have some good players in that squad.

2 minutes ago, BluenoseCanuck said:

I know what ur saying. We do have to get signings right but I think he has been capped by Ghana and they have some good players in that squad.

To add to that though-he hasn't been part of the Ghana squad for a little while

Watched that video and he looks brutal at times, but is athletic, has a bit of pace and lots of commitment, and looks decent in the air.

Bit more discipline and awareness and he has potential. 

fuck this guy. played at a piss poor level all his career and you can't even make him look decent on youtube. no room for error this summer, i don't care if pedro trusts him with his life - the safe assumption is he's not good enough for us. the two mexican targets and Alves are along the right lines - not this guy. 

I thought everyone looks good on YouTube? This boy is the exception 

Looks like the lovechild of Rob Kiernan and Cribari in that video.

That is just a black Rob Keirnan. Fuck me he looks shite in that video. But maybe just maybe that was a poor 14mins he had :hmmm:

9 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

Liga MX is inferior to our league. :lol::lol::lol::lol: 

I mind that video first time round when we were linked with him. Probably the only cunt in the world with a YouTube compliation video and he still looks fucking shite. 

Like a big black Kiernan that can't pass.

9 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

Haha! That league is above the standard of the SPL never mind Scottish league one! 

Big Johnathon Menseah looks a better option at Columbus Crew 26 has over 50 Ghana caps and available in six months of a bosman was on Udinese books but never played might have some unfinished business in Europe 6.2 feet strong powerful can pass the ball

1 hour ago, Dryhorse said:

Big Johnathon Menseah looks a better option at Columbus Crew 26 has over 50 Ghana caps and available in six months of a bosman was on Udinese books but never played might have some unfinished business in Europe 6.2 feet strong powerful can pass the ball

underlined for effect?

seriously, not a bad shout but has caixhina worked with him?

No but he also said it would be players he has watched pretty sure he would have done before over in Concicaf