New SLO's interview

Guest Lloyd72

Guest Lloyd72

GREG MARSHALL was recently appointed as Rangers’ new Supporters Liaison Officer and we caught up with him to discuss the role linking the Club and the fans.

While still finding his feet in his new role, Marshall has pledged to meet with supporters clubs and season ticket holders at an early stage in order to gauge their feelings on current issues affecting supporters and to get to know the fans.

Likewise, he is keen to continue and further the recent steps to improve relations with the local community, while he also paid tribute to the Rangers supporters for their incredible backing over recent seasons.

When asked about his role, he said: “I am here to act as a liaison between the fans at the club – basically I’m the middle man. I’m there to take the interests of the club towards the fans, and the interests of the fans towards the club.

“If there are any concerns the fans need brought to the club, I am there to provide that link. It is important that fans see they are able to have their concerns understood by the club, and to be able to have an input and that their concerns are being listened to.

“It is important we do that within the club, and so far, I have been really encouraged by the reaction to things I have brought into meetings and such like.

“I’ll be involved in various aspects across the club – it is a very broad role. Anything that involves fans, I will be able to have an input in which is really exciting and encouraging.

“Initially, I would like to get Rangers supporters’ clubs involved. I think at times, they feel they have not had a proper input, so I am hoping to get some meetings arranged with them very early at the Ibrox Suite.

“I’d also like to provide season ticket holders with a similar opportunity in a similar format. I think it is really important that people are able to come in and have their voices heard with an open dialogue where we can discuss among fans different aspects. It’s really key fans have an input, and I’m keen to facilitate that.

“It’s clear the club want this – they wouldn’t have appointed me otherwise, and that was a big part of my proposal going into this. The fans are at the centre of the club, and without the fans, you wouldn’t have Rangers.

“The fans have been phenomenal year after year, and it will go down in history as an amazing story what we have all achieved here, and I say that as a fan coming in, and I am really encouraged by the fact the club are keen to get fans more engaged and more involved, and hopefully, we are able to do things that will help both parties.”

Rangers recently continued its unwavering commitment to improving relations with the wider Govan community but launching a new Community Engagement Blueprint.

Working with Police Scotland, local councillors the community council and others, the Light Blues have implemented a series of measures to encourage positive behaviour in and around Ibrox.

Greg continued: “The community aspects are really important too. We need to be good neighbours – we know that, and the vast majority of fans know that and are active in that regard.

“It’s good the club are taking extra steps to encourage that with extra facilities outside the stadium.

“We have implemented more portable toilets outside of the stadium, added more police and stewarding patrols within the local area and will implement the addition of more recycling bins around the stadium to minimise littering.”

With the club securing a return to European football following Sunday’s win at Partick Thistle, the need for positive support from the loyal legions of Rangers fans becomes more imperative than ever.

With that in mind, Marshall is eager to ensure the club’s ‘Follow With Pride’ message is clear to all to ensure the best image of the club and the fans is portrayed on the continent.

“We need to be active in that field and get input from the fans in order to encourage the best possible behaviour,” he continued. “Everywhere you go as a Rangers fan, you are a representative of the club.

“You need to be aware of that, and I’m sure most of us are. It’s always worth reiterating you are the club wherever you go, and I am keen to be active there.

“And equally we need to encourage the positive support of the club, the vast majority of the support engages proactively.”

One of Marshall’s earliest duties will be to represent the club at the NARSA convention which takes place from June 1 to June 4 at the Planet Hollywood Hotel in Las Vegas.

On that, he said:  “It is quite a privilege to be able to attend NARSA having just come to the club and then to be invited to such an event.

“I am really keen to engage with overseas fans, I have met a number of fans who are based abroad and their passion for the club is second to none.

“It’s the same across the world, if you are a Rangers fan you’re a Rangers fan and you have the club at heart so I am delighted to be going to NARSA and getting the opportunity to engage further.”

If you would like to get in touch with Greg then you can contact him on the phone via 0141 580 8670 and via email on slo@rangers.co.uk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, mus said:

Would it be me being cynical if I wondered where he was to meet the fans, not in a boozer across the road from the ground by chance?

Did you read the article?

“Initially, I would like to get Rangers supporters’ clubs involved. I think at times, they feel they have not had a proper input, so I am hoping to get some meetings arranged with them very early at the Ibrox Suite.

Just now, Siam69 said:

first off I actually meant the St holders not the supporters clubs and also I could say today was Christmas day but doesn't make it dec 25th! and it was only a question not an accusation!

4 minutes ago, mus said:

first off I actually meant the St holders not the supporters clubs and also I could say today was Christmas day but doesn't make it dec 25th! and it was only a question not an accusation!

I’d also like to provide season ticket holders with a similar opportunity in a similar format.

Call me cynical and all that ... :hmmm:

Just now, Siam69 said:

I’d also like to provide season ticket holders with a similar opportunity in a similar format.

Call me cynical and all that ... :hmmm:

Touche, Siam for the win, now you can see why I've only posted 400 odd times in 4 years :UK:

Just now, mus said:

Touche, Siam for the win, now you can see why I've only posted 400 odd times in 4 years :UK:

:lol:

I was laughing when I posted it, good to see it was taken in the spirit I meant.

I'll need you to start two new threads every day for the next week, or i'm reporting you to the Headmaster :UK:

Just now, Siam69 said:

:lol:

I was laughing when I posted it, good to see it was taken in the spirit I meant.

I'll need you to start two new threads every day for the next week, or i'm reporting you to the Headmaster :UK:

I think I might have to stay with the old saying of "keep quiet and let people think you're an idiot or speak and prove it" and as an aside where about's in London are you?

Just now, mus said:

I think I might have to stay with the old saying of "keep quiet and let people think you're an idiot or speak and prove it" and as an aside where about's in London are you?

East London mate, full of hipsters with ridiculous beards, skinny jeans, desert boots and 'fashionable' tattoos.

Reggie and Ronnie would be turning in their graves!

Just wish i'd have bought here 10 years ago, absolutely ridiculous prices now, i'd have made a quarter of a million at the very least ...

Greg will be inviting the London Branch Loyal up as we speak :UK:

Just now, Siam69 said:

East London mate, full of hipsters with ridiculous beards, skinny jeans, desert boots and 'fashionable' tattoos.

Reggie and Ronnie would be turning in their graves!

Just wish i'd have bought here 10 years ago, absolutely ridiculous prices now, i'd have made a quarter of a million at the very least ...

Greg will be inviting the London Branch Loyal up as we speak :UK:

I work in town, know what you mean about prices, one of the blokes at work sold his mums house in Putney 2 bed terrace for £600,000!