Walter Smith on signing Gascoigne

Virtuoso

28 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Who else dyed their hair blonde? :lol: 

one of my favourite memories of Gazza is the 1996 league cup final.  2-0 up, then gazza and mccoist had a wee set to on the pitch after hearts pulled got back in the game.  Apparently they nearly came to blows at half time and Smith pinned Gazza up against the dressing room door and told him to go and get a brandy.  He came out and scored two fucking belters and won us the cup. :lol: 

i seen the day he's said he's winning his battle, I hate to say it but I've heard it all before and I'm sure it won't be long until he's in the papers for the wrong reasons again. Still I pray I'm wrong, but I'll always remember him for his playing days, not his alky days.  Hero. 

I watched that game whilst in the army, I was stationed in Dorset, me and another couple of bears watched it in the NAAFI, scenes in the 2nd half after he scored,doing the bouncy about the place...cunts watching thought we were off our nuts 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, WWTC said:

one of his best games, doesnt get the attention it deserves. Was there with my old man, front row. Never forget watching someone like that stroll about somewhere like firhill. 

Met that Billy McDonald a few years back and he still talks about this game. Claim to fame for him I think :lol:

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

He says in his book that that was the case. 

I think the first sentence in the chapter about joining us is how he fell in love with the club instantly.

I lived in South Shields when he was getting big and he was never left alone. In Glasgow he actually got to have a private life. I met him and he was warm and funny, he loved it here as much as we loved him.

Don't remember where I heard it (maybe Ally spoke about it ) that Gazza hid a couple of fish in Duries car and it was stinking for weeks , imagine players trying that these days , straight on twitter , saying  that could ye imaging Gazza having a mobile phone and all the social media in his playing days , would be mental :rofl:

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

"Apparently, if the hotel was in a public area, Paul would buy boxes of eggs, sit by the window and pick people off like a sniper."

:lol:

Makes Barton look like a model player.

3 hours ago, reallyruff said:

One of the best aspects of his signing was the reaction of mhanks. Disbelief to dejection.

Remember the the daily rebel superimposeing his picture wearing the No.8 Rangers jersey. All the bheasts in our canteen giving it  "no fucking chance". ..... a week later he's getting introduced to the fans at the front door of Ibrox in the sunshine wearing the same jersey......fucking brilliant days indeed. 

2 hours ago, BRITNEY IS NOT FEELING IT said:

Don't remember where I heard it (maybe Ally spoke about it ) that Gazza hid a couple of fish in Duries car and it was stinking for weeks , imagine players trying that these days , straight on twitter , saying  that could ye imaging Gazza having a mobile phone and all the social media in his playing days , would be mental :rofl:

Sure ally told the story on soccer am or goals on Sunday 

9 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

To see him playing for Rangers was an absolute joy,laudrup aswell:drool:

The optimism about how far the team could go was the crest of a wave, I remember being disappointed every year that we didn't win the Champions League, now I'd give my left nut just to hear the Old Lady play Britten's chorus!

5 hours ago, WWTC said:

one of his best games, doesnt get the attention it deserves. Was there with my old man, front row. Never forget watching someone like that stroll about somewhere like firhill. 

That's a bloody great watch. Brilliant memories.

The touch and control of Laudrup and Gazza is incredible especially on the horrendous pitch. I'm afraid we'll never see their like again in a Gers strip.

4 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Met that Billy McDonald a few years back and he still talks about this game. Claim to fame for him I think :lol:

He was actually a decent wee player, he was just up against a genius and he couldnt live with him. On his day, no one could.

Was there not a time when that prick gerry mcnee would only call him number 8, had Gazza booted a couple of balls his direction in the press box while training on an away European game. Only one of them was qualified to do there job and it wasn't the bitter hack. Absolute quality on the park and loved the adoration he got.

To do with Laudrup,  knew a guy at the time who played and he said it was like he was on a magic carpet the way he ran with the ball and went past players.