Rangers pull out of SPFL Development League

PRW.

To play against the youth teams of Europe's top clubs.

"The Ibrox side have been given permission to withdraw for a year to take on the likes of Manchester City, Spurs, Manchester United, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant from Mulholland. 

Scotland develops good players at younger age groups but there is a real problem when they hit that 17/18 mark. Scottish culture probably plays a big part in that but this is a good move from Rangers.

So we'll play top academys for 3/4 weeks then get a game against a Scottish League 1/2 team and they'll try to encourage Rangers fans to attend it.

Now that's the sort of innovation and fresh challenge that may prove to be highly beneficial to Rangers.      It's possible they may get quite a few Supporters at their games too which hopefully encourages the development side and also the Support as they see future Rangers first team squad players in the making.  

It also feels like the beginning of the end for the development league as it is currently constructed in Scotland.   This pathfinder season seems to me to be highly likely to be very successful and assuming so will open the way to widen and deepen cross border leagues - for starters in the development teams and then maybe, who knows, for first teams too.

Hope the first team pulls out next and joins a European league.

Often wondered if this Development league / youth setup had a detrimental effect on Scottish football, the decline seemed to coincide with the end of the old 'reserve leagues'.  I remember as a youth when we had a first, second and third team. 

3 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Sounds excellent and innovative.

Are we the only team from the SPFL doing this?

4 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Often wondered if this Development league / youth setup had a detrimental effect on Scottish football, the decline seemed to coincide with the end of the old 'reserve leagues'.  I remember as a youth when we had a first, second and third team. 

I remember the old reserve leagues as a boy. At Ibrox, and most grounds I saw the reserves play, they only opened the Main stand, and enclosure. There were some decent crowds then. The games against the taigs  would get crowds of 10,000, or even more depending on who the first team were playing. 

I always used to try and treat myself to a seat in the Main Stand, as I could never afford it for first team games.

It was cheaper for seats away from the centre stand, but there were hardly any stewards, or cops about, so me, and my mate, used to pay for the cheaper seats, and just climb over a few seats, then go and get a kia ora, and a maxi bag of crisps, then sit and watch the game in, relative, comfort, among the rich folk.

After the Ibrox disaster game, my mother wasn't too keen on letting me go to the big games, so this was the next best thing.

5 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

lol how about we first focus on being able to win the scottish premier league before thinking about going to a bigger league. if we ever leave scottish football and were to join say an english/european league then you can forget winning league titles.

28 minutes ago, murzo said:

Hopefully this doesn't just help our current youths development but we actually have a look at the other teams we play and scout a player or two and try and sign them. 

More like the Rangers players being scouted 

Sounds good but in Mulhollands interview on the website there's too much emphasis on making Scotland a good footballing nation for my liking we should be doing this for ourselves we don't owe Scotland a thing 

will we be playing these games away from home too? Quite fancy going to Portugal to watch these games