McKay Keen To Stay

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I'm a little surprised that quite a few are so willing to be happy for him to leave. I get that he has been inconsistent, I get that he looks like he lacks heart at times and I get that he is frustrating as fuck, however I genuinely believe he is one worth keeping. He is still easily one of our best players. Admittedly, that may not say much but in terms of a squad overhaul, I think we would regret it if he left, and right now, IMO, he is the least of our concerns.

McKay has so much raw talent, and the key, like every player is to get the best out of them on a consistent basis. If Pedro has any belief in his own managerial ability, then he will be believe he can mould and develop McKay into a complete player. He has far more positive attributes then negatives and with the correct guidance could evolve into a very good player. There's not many within our squad who IMO we can improve as a player to a level good enough for us but McKay is certainly one of them. 

In fairness to McKay it's been quite a unique journey. When McKay first broke onto the scene in the 3rd Division he looked bright. Suddenly though he was shipped out on loan. He then burst his balls, doing extra training for the arrival of Warburton to make an impression. Warburton was impressed and last season, for his first full professional season, at a club as demanding and critical as ours, at a time when promotion was essential, IMO he was a huge success. I think most of us believe Warburton didn't quite have a ruthless streak and almost accepted not winning every game. That must filter through to the players. If you have that mentality instilled to you it can be easy to lack aggression,hunger and fight. It's not righ, it's not acceptable t but it's understandable if you lack leadership from the top. It's clear to me Pedro does not lack aggression. If he can instill this into McKay, we could have a heck of a player on our hands. With the right mentality, application, aggression and desire McKay would be an incredible asset.

You've also got to appreciate, this as his first season in the SPL, kwhere collectively we have been a shambles at best, and quite frankly pretty much everyone comes out of this season with no credit. It's not as easy as just wiping this season for our memory but the reality is we're not going to change about 20 players. On that basis McKay HAS to stay IMO as he CAN offer us something.

His goal against Partick, just one of many incredible pieces of skill over the last few seasons, was so impressive. To pull the ball out of the sky, to dink it over the defender, show composure, and then calmly slot it away was a thing a of beauty. Not many players have the first touch, awareness, vision and technique he has and without exaggerating, not many players have that goal in their locker. It's the type of goal, if Messi scored, everyone would be wetting their pants. Coincidentally, if McKay was currently with another club, and we seen his obligatory Youtube showreel (which I know can be doctored and manipulated) would have us all very excited, especially compared to some names we've been linked with. For us to sign another 22 year old from another club with his raw ability, IMO would be a) hard to get and b) very expensive, especially when you consider how much mediocre teams like Motherwell, Sheep and Hivs are valuing players.

McKay is far from the finished article, he's even admitted this himself. Not one player can be forgiven for only turning up a few games a season. It's simplay not good enough. If he continues to do that then I agree he has to move on. However, with the new manager coming in, a new philosophy, a new mindset, a different way of coaching, playing and playing alongside better players, I believe McKay will thrive. I also think, like a lot have touched upon, a change of position may help. I'm not for one second comparing players or clubs, not even remotely, however, you look at guys like Bale and Henry at the start of their career, and at times they were indifferent, and very hit and miss. Once they found the right manager and right position then suddenly their careers went through the roof. There are many other players who fall into this category. Even Hazard last season, he was absolutely terrible but now this season he is magnificent again. Again, i'm not comparing players, clubs, leagues, opposition however there are many factors that can impact a player being inconsistent, which I fully appreciate McKay himself has to take responsibility for.   

Even if some don't want him, it makes sense to give him a new deal just to increase the transfer fee we may get as I do believe clubs will be interested. With only one year left we won't get as much as I believe he may be worth. That said though, I personally hope we do keep him, play him more centrally, alongside better players, instill that steely determination and aggression into him and let him shine. Regardless of what happens nexy season is going to be a huge season for McKay..............

Defensively he's a total passenger in our side and he doesn't contribute enough in attack often enough to get away with that. If he's to have a future with us then he has to man up a bit. Especially when people are so keen to move him into the middle of the park because his reluctance to make a tackle will become even more exposed in that position.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Playing for his new deal. Seen it before with countless players, he'll come on to a game until he puts pen to paper and then go back to being anonymous.

It could also be a case of a new approach from a new gaffer. Under Warburton, McKay would always play regardless of how well he played. That's not good for anyone and in a way McKay has had it too easy in that respect. Pedro, seems the type that will not fuck about though. He's benched McKay for several games and I have no doubt he's probably told McKay privately that all the talent he has is nothing without the right application. I think Pedro has actually said as much publicly too. Maybe McKay now understands that his Rangers career. and starting position is not a given, unless he shows more desire and consistency. I think there's been a bit of reaction so far......

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I'm a little surprised that quite a few are so willing to be happy for him to leave. I get that he has been inconsistent, I get that he looks like he lacks heart at times and I get that he is frustrating as fuck, however I genuinely believe he is one worth keeping. He is still easily one of our best players. Admittedly, that may not say much but in terms of a squad overhaul, I think we would regret it if he left, and right now, IMO, he is the least of our concerns.

McKay has so much raw talent, and the key, like every player is to get the best out of them on a consistent basis. If Pedro has any belief in his own managerial ability, then he will be believe he can mould and develop McKay into a complete player. He has far more positive attributes then negatives and with the correct guidance could evolve into a very good player. There's not many within our squad who IMO we can improve as a player to a level good enough for us but McKay is certainly one of them. 

In fairness to McKay it's been quite a unique journey. When McKay first broke onto the scene in the 3rd Division he looked bright. Suddenly though he was shipped out on loan. He then burst his balls, doing extra training for the arrival of Warburton to make an impression. Warburton was impressed and last season, for his first full professional season, at a club as demanding and critical as ours, at a time when promotion was essential, IMO he was a huge success. I think most of us believe Warburton didn't quite have a ruthless streak and almost accepted not winning every game. That must filter through to the players. If you have that mentality instilled to you it can be easy to lack aggression,hunger and fight. It's not righ, it's not acceptable t but it's understandable if you lack leadership from the top. It's clear to me Pedro does not lack aggression. If he can instill this into McKay, we could have a heck of a player on our hands. With the right mentality, application, aggression and desire McKay would be an incredible asset.

You've also got to appreciate, this as his first season in the SPL, kwhere collectively we have been a shambles at best, and quite frankly pretty much everyone comes out of this season with no credit. It's not as easy as just wiping this season for our memory but the reality is we're not going to change about 20 players. On that basis McKay HAS to stay IMO as he CAN offer us something.

His goal against Partick, just one of many incredible pieces of skill over the last few seasons, was so impressive. To pull the ball out of the sky, to dink it over the defender, show composure, and then calmly slot it away was a thing a of beauty. Not many players have the first touch, awareness, vision and technique he has and without exaggerating, not many players have that goal in their locker. It's the type of goal, if Messi scored, everyone would be wetting their pants. Coincidentally, if McKay was currently with another club, and we seen his obligatory Youtube showreel (which I know can be doctored and manipulated) would have us all very excited, especially compared to some names we've been linked with. For us to sign another 22 year old from another club with his raw ability, IMO would be a) hard to get and b) very expensive, especially when you consider how much mediocre teams like Motherwell, Sheep and Hivs are valuing players.

McKay is far from the finished article, he's even admitted this himself. Not one player can be forgiven for only turning up a few games a season. It's simplay not good enough. If he continues to do that then I agree he has to move on. However, with the new manager coming in, a new philosophy, a new mindset, a different way of coaching, playing and playing alongside better players, I believe McKay will thrive. I also think, like a lot have touched upon, a change of position may help. I'm not for one second comparing players or clubs, not even remotely, however, you look at guys like Bale and Henry at the start of their career, and at times they were indifferent, and very hit and miss. Once they found the right manager and right position then suddenly their careers went through the roof. There are many other players who fall into this category. Even Hazard last season, he was absolutely terrible but now this season he is magnificent again. Again, i'm not comparing players, clubs, leagues, opposition however there are many factors that can impact a player being inconsistent, which I fully appreciate McKay himself has to take responsibility for.   

Even if some don't want him, it makes sense to give him a new deal just to increase the transfer fee we may get as I do believe clubs will be interested. With only one year left we won't get as much as I believe he may be worth. That said though, I personally hope we do keep him, play him more centrally, alongside better players, instill that steely determination and aggression into him and let him shine. Regardless of what happens nexy season is going to be a huge season for McKay..............

You changed your name Reformation Bear?:lol:

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Defensively he's a total passenger in our side and he doesn't contribute enough in attack often enough to get away with that. If he's to have a future with us then he has to man up a bit. Especially when people are so keen to move him into the middle of the park because his reluctance to make a tackle will become even more exposed in that position.

I agree. He must improve if he wants to continue playing with us. Next season is going to be a big season for him. Hopefully it's with us and hopefully we see the player I think he can be..........

I think Mckay, Foderingham, Wallace and to an extent Windass would flourish among better players. 

Aye his head does go down, when he plays on the wing and doesn't beat a man. He's 10x better central, his last two goals have been from central positions.

If you can get in 2 CDMs who will protect our flair players I reckon Mckay could finally find the consistent form he is capable of. 

He certainly wouldn't be the first of the many that should leave. There's plenty of players who should be shown the door first. 

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

You changed your name Reformation Bear?:lol:

Ha! I think it's too easy to just say he's pish, he's shite, he's brilliant, he's amazing, however it's not always as simple as that and there has to be a bit of context, as with us nothing is ever simple! I was close to boring myself there though!

As it stands IMO McKay has real potential and I think we'd regret letting him leave. I really don't think we have any players like him (possibly Niko) who CAN influence a game like he can. However, I can totally understand why some are not convinced. To let him go though would be premature IMO. I tend to try to always look at the positives, and at times his first touch and vision is top class. We just need more from him and that's where McKay himself MUST step up, Pedro MUST show he's a top manager to get more from him and the Board MUST provide funds to bring in better players to play alongside him........ 

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Ha! I think it's too easy to just say he's pish, he's shite, he's brilliant, he's amazing, however it's not always as simple as that and there has to be a bit of context, as with us nothing is ever simple! I was close to boring myself there though!

As it stands IMO McKay has real potential and I think we'd regret letting him leave. I really don't think we have any players like him (possibly Niko) who CAN influence a game like he can. However, I can totally understand why some are not convinced. To let him go though would be premature IMO. I tend to try to always look at the positives, and at times his first touch and vision is top class. We just need more from him and that's where McKay himself MUST step up, Pedro MUST show he's a top manager to get more from him and the Board MUST provide funds to bring in better players to play alongside him........ 

Mate, you are spot on.

There's more to being a football player than simply throwing yourself into tackles you won't win.

If i remember right, yesterday late on in the game he showed tremendous desire to knock the ball past his man and beat him for pace and square it but the poor striker fluffed it?

Being at the game i seen that.

People on here criticising him yet were posting on a thread about a blog while the game was being played.

36 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Firstly, Pedro doesn't need to be wasting his managerial abilities on him, as we have much bigger fish to fry.

So he's scored a couple of decent goals in two years. Even I could do that, but I doubt anyone would be knocking at my door bearing gifts, so what are all these abilities he has?

Like he's going to turn into a player that can turn around games over the summer or the next season and be a challenge to the scum defence?  Never in a million. The biggest attribute that he lacks, is a spine and that will never change, not even if he saw the best shrink in the land. Just look at his contemporaries at the scum fc. Exactly and even they aren't that great shakes, but they have that win at all cost mentality and posses the basic attributes to have an impact on a game.

His performances are consistly bad and there is no one knocking at the door bearing gifts for him, so what does that tell you?

McKay is a defeatist with limited abilty, end of.

More than enough time and money has been investested in him and wasted, so time to cut your losses. We need to move forward with men, not boys pretending to be something they are not.

3 hours ago, psb07158 said:

I'd give him 6 months next season. No new contract.

He can earn his contract. If he is shite then punt in January for whatever money we get for him. 

So he has a fantastic few months up until Jan.. why would anyone offer good money when they'd get him on a free 6 months later? 

23 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

His performances tell you he is pish, or are your eyes watching someone else?

If I was Pedro or any other manager, I wouldn't pinning my hopes on this dud. That's what gets you sacked. Two years of inept performances have told us and the rest of the footballing world he hasn't got it. His vision and and first touch are first class? Have you seen him passing short balls? Where's the vision? Seen him crossing into an empty box? Where's the vision? There is only one player with vision in the team and that's Miller, end of. As for first touah, only when there is no one near him!

Now, what are his other attributes?

8 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

If I was Pedro or any other manager, I wouldn't pinning my hopes on this dud. That's what gets you sacked. Two years of inept performances have told us and the rest of the footballing world he hasn't got it. His vision and and first touch are first class? Have you seen him passing short balls? Where's the vision? Seen him crossing into an empty box? Where's the vision? There is only one player with vision in the team and that's Miller, end of. As for first touah, only when there is no one near him!

You're denying that McKay has great first touch? I suggest you don't actually watch him play very often if you suggest he doesn't have a great first touch; it's probably his best attribute. As for being a "dud", nonsense. In two years McKay has developed into a fine, albeit inconsistent, player; in time he will develop more consistency to his game, and there have been signs over the period that he is incorporating that into his game. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

If you genuinely believe McKay has no ability and no attributes then there's no point discussing this any further to be honest. If you can't concede he has something to offer we'll just have to agree to disagree. We obviously see things completely differently. I accept McKay has attributes to his game that are not good enough but to suggest he has no ability I just don't get that. You don't rate him, I do. :tu:

58 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

The biggest problem with that is that he has to want to work to achieve something and not be so greedy with a wage demand if he's admitting he's still developing. Pedro has said he wants to work to make McKay better, but all the evidence points to McKay wanting more money and thinking he's the done deal, his attitude has been terrible from the third division until today. He wasn't great in the first Division and hasn't got any better this year, how much time does he get until he shows willing to apply himself?

Reminds me too much of Joe Miller and even our own Tommy McLean (one of the best dead ball takers and crossers I've seen). Hard man of the opposing team hunts him down for the first 10 mins then he's out the game. The great wingers such as Willie Henderson or Coop, or forward mids could take the punishment or avoid it without bottling it.

He also seems to have very little strength on the ball and is easily knocked off it.

4 hours ago, AlCapone said:

How do you know he wants to stay?

This is where I want to stay. Despite having ups and downs, I’ve enjoyed every minute at Rangers.

“I’ve read stuff saying because I’ve not signed I must want away. It’s not like that, but the fans might read it like that.

“It’s important they know the truth. I’m not in a rush to go anywhere. It’s not as if I want out. I want to play here.

“If I’m not in the manager’s plans, it’s up to me to get in them and stay there

57 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

You're denying that McKay has great first touch? I suggest you don't actually watch him play very often if you suggest he doesn't have a great first touch; it's probably his best attribute. As for being a "dud", nonsense. In two years McKay has developed into a fine, albeit inconsistent, player; in time he will develop more consistency to his game, and there have been signs over the period that he is incorporating that into his game. 

I've got a great first touch ffs, so what?

With big Lustig or Broon bearing down on him, he actually doesn't have any touch.

I ask again, where are all these attributes. Even some basic ones. Then compare him to his contemporaries in other teams.

He loses, all day long.

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

I've got a great first touch ffs, so what?

With big Lustig or Broon bearing down on him, he actually doesn't have any touch.

I ask again, where are all these attributes. Even some basic ones. Then compare him to his contemporaries in other teams.

He loses, all day long.

Mince. In the old frim game on Hogmanay was there a better player on the park that day? At his best he can influence a game, easily. Yesterday the player that got the fans excited was him; when he gets the ball, at his best, he brings something. He is still very much a young player, and he will come good. Get him in a team of better players and he will be even more consistent.

25 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Mince. In the old frim game on Hogmanay was there a better player on the park that day? At his best he can influence a game, easily. Yesterday the player that got the fans excited was him; when he gets the ball, at his best, he brings something. He is still very much a young player, and he will come good. Get him in a team of better players and he will be even more consistent.

And hasn't been seen since!

You do not win leagues or anything for that matter with a player who turns up for 1 game in 10. As for yesterday, apart from his goal, he was a passenger, as usual.

He's 22 ffs. He supposed to be a man. If he doesn't posses the skills now, far less a spine, he never will. Get me in a team of better players and I will be even more consistent, in fucking hiding.

However, you still don't address the points raised. Now WTF makes this spineless waste of space so special after two years of dross performances? He's got potential? Away and bile yer heed.

1 hour ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Reminds me too much of Joe Miller and even our own Tommy McLean (one of the best dead ball takers and crossers I've seen). Hard man of the opposing team hunts him down for the first 10 mins then he's out the game. The great wingers such as Willie Henderson or Coop, or forward mids could take the punishment or avoid it without bottling it.

He also seems to have very little strength on the ball and is easily knocked off it.

He's nowhere near the same class as Tommy McLean. 

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

The biggest problem with that is that he has to want to work to achieve something and not be so greedy with a wage demand if he's admitting he's still developing. Pedro has said he wants to work to make McKay better, but all the evidence points to McKay wanting more money and thinking he's the done deal, his attitude has been terrible from the third division until today. He wasn't great in the first Division and hasn't got any better this year, how much time does he get until he shows willing to apply himself?

Exactly. Get rid asap.